track prep preferences

tj131

PR Member
To all you experts, please stop comparing track to track, owner to owner. Soil is different at every single track in the United States. I remember a lot of riders on here missing scenic highlands. Maybe I’m from a different planet but that dirt sucked. Prep was awful, always dusty when I went there and a ton of shale. One of the worst tracks as far as dirt I have ever rode. Goes along with broomtioga. But seems everyone misses scenic. So if I understand this right the local yocals want a nice smooth track with not a lot of bumps or ruts and just nice berms in the corners? See a lot of people complaining about the supercross tracks and all the ruts and breaking down of the dirt. The biggest reason you are seeing this is the fact that they do not put lime in the dirt anymore since the mess they had years ago and the fact that the internal rotation of the four stroke and power they are putting to the ground is destroying the dirt. These tracks are built in days and don’t have enough time to compact and settle, especially without the lime in the dirt. It’s only going to get worse!
We went from local amateur prep talk to supercross here.

My thought on starting this thread was I think many of us would just like to practice on a track that's safe and fun. I'm a decent B rider and if I'm barely moving wide open on a 450... maybe a little too deep. Soaking down hard pack jump faces, also no Bueno. I don't think anyone is saying they want a perfect smooth track etc.

John250

PR Founding Father
Slot cars. How do you race on this track?

FB_IMG_1715400501494.jpg

Meister

PR Founding Father
I read those pics are two different tracks being reported as a recent gp but they aren't. Read the bottom one was glen Helen after some 24 hour thing. Imagine those in the dark. Lol

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Everyone gets in their feelings when you compare tracks and owners whatever. Everyone is so soft these days no one is hating it’s just preference on prep. Everyone gets an opinion and everyone gets all pissed when it’s voiced. I speak for the majority everyone wants a track that’s raceable. Raceable meaning able to move around and not stuck. It’s can be rough and rutted but raceable. Every dirts different and everyone preps different but the objective is to be raceable and not slot car that’s what everyone is saying. For Eastfork qualifier it was rough and rutted but it was racey you could move around no problem but still deep ruts in every corner. That’s all everyone wants

JMO330

PR Member
Ruts in corners are one thing, but down every straight, every jump face and transisiton, ya not for me. Thats one reason i dont ride 62. But thats cool with me and i think we as riders need to be more open minded and remember that yes the dirt at honda hills is not the same dirt as briarcliff. If you dont like some rocks, bumps and hardpack then ride somewhere else. Never gona make everyone happy. Racing is always better when its a little less rutty imo.

JMO330

PR Member
I was watching "the Reeds" youtube channel and he even mentioned that the track at Pleasure Valley (before the rain) was pretty dry and hard and not just slot car racing like alot of tracks are doing these days. He also had mentioned in his experience it makes for better racing. I watched it just after i read this thread the first time and i just throught it was ironic.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I was watching "the Reeds" youtube channel and he even mentioned that the track at Pleasure Valley (before the rain) was pretty dry and hard and not just slot car racing like alot of tracks are doing these days. He also had mentioned in his experience it makes for better racing. I watched it just after i read this thread the first time and i just throught it was ironic.
Saw the same thing and thought the same thing. A professional and champion is stating the facts. Says that supercross how rough and rutted it is makes for horrible racing along with outdoors being too rutted. The ability to move around allows for good racing and Chad obviously thinks the prep for todays racing is to extreme

Meister

PR Founding Father
What a poossy he is..... Lol

Great topic. It used to be a track might promote their upcoming ride by saying something like "weather looks great, track will be in great shape... come on out and have some fun."

Now it's more like "gonna' be sick ruts - come get some training before Regionals"