FI the way to go

loneranger171

PR Addict
Now that fi has been out for a while what's everyone think about it.. Looking for a used bike and not sure if I want one with fi or not

It keeps improving with each passing year.
The first few years had issues with flat powerbands andlower HP. But recently, EFI has made living with a big 4-stroke easer.
And put more pork on the pig.

After now having FI.....wow. No air screw to adjust.....no pop crackle or back fire ever. One kick to prime, one easy kick and starts second kick every time. I have to say, the FI.........its the bomb so far.

Unless you have to work on it and you dont have the $1000 program to jet it. My carb doesnt fancy software to be adjusted. i turn my fuel screw on my rd float bowl a 1/4-1/2 turn depending on humidity, no other adjusting needed. You dont need that extra electrickery

My kind of thinking Jeremy... Plus 2013 Yz250f are going for $4700...cleaning up inventory to make way for FI yz250f bikes... Three months ago they were over $6000..

Fuel Injected bikes are awesome till they break...I in the middle of trying to troubleshoot my 2011 KTM 350SXF intermittently starting.Not fun...especially with a two month old bike with only 15hrs on it!

Fuel Injected bikes are awesome till they break...I in the middle of trying to troubleshoot my 2011 KTM 350SXF intermittently starting.Not fun...especially with a two month old bike with only 15hrs on it!
Get a hold of Dave Blauman (racer 842 on here) I think he may have had a similar issue on his 350. Ended up being the fuel pump...I think.

Loneranger......I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 13 YZF 250. They have the carb all figured out on that thing....it's been the same forever. I though you were thinking about picking a (used) first generation EFI bike.

Unless you have to work on it and you dont have the $1000 program to jet it. My carb doesnt fancy software to be adjusted. i turn my fuel screw on my rd float bowl a 1/4-1/2 turn depending on humidity, no other adjusting needed. You dont need that extra electrickery

FI bikes have air intake temp sensors.. no fuel screw adjustment needed for the most part. And the cable/software is $400 for a Honda. Pricey but I just paid to have a new map loaded on my bike for around $80 I believe it was.

Get a hold of Dave Blauman (racer 842 on here) I think he may have had a similar issue on his 350. Ended up being the fuel pump...I think.

Loneranger......I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 13 YZF 250. They have the carb all figured out on that thing....it's been the same forever. I though you were thinking about picking a (used) first generation EFI bike.

i had same issue, was fuel pump.

Loneranger......I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 13 YZF 250. They have the carb all figured out on that thing....it's been the bsame forever. I though you were thinking about picking a (used) first generation EFI bike.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a used Fi 450....but saw ad for the yz250f and it was only 1000 more than the used bike which I thought was interesting... Plus I don't like buying used four strokes

Cameron is right, when they work they're awesome for throttle response, elevation changes, indoor/outdoor changes, mapping changes, but when they have issues you can't find a mechanic that has the software, tools and the knowledge to work on these things (yet). One thing is for certain, if I were looking at purchasing a new bike I'd add to consideration the cost of the tools available to troubleshoot the electronics. Certain awesome brands have a hand tool that's good for 09-13 for $230 in which you can adjust the fuel mapping, monitor the electronics, adjust the idle etc at the track on the fly. It takes 3 seconds to plug it in and 25 seconds to change the way the bike feels. Other brands (color in which I won't mention) offer a $370 fuel mapping tool in which you have 10 predetermined settings but you'll need your laptop and a spare car battery. If you want to troubleshoot this "brand" because it started running like a piece of s**t for no reason you'll need another tool for $1300 (even your dealership won't have this tool btw) so you'll spend a month without a bike while it moves from shop to shop in desperation.

So yes the future is efi. You don't really want to ride a 10yo bike just to have a carb. Just include the troubleshooting tools available in your decision process.

FI all the way.

Leave it stock and stop worrying about it! Ive had a 12 yzf with 94 hrs when I sold it and a 13 rmz with 50 hrs currently. Never problem one with the running of with either bike. I will say the yzf had zero issues of any type in all 94 hours, zero.

Back