3 Step Braking Techniques

Gary_Semics

PR Member
Click this link to watch short video: http://www.gsmxs.com/free-mx-riding-tips/3-step-braking-techniques

Your ability to stop or slow down is your right away to speed. Good braking techniques are overlooked by all C riders and many B riders. But, braking control is just as important as clutch and throttle control. Both front and rear brakes are equally important, but for this riding tip, I'm just going to cover the rear brake.

When the throttle is off, the rear brake should be on. In some situations, this is not as necessary on 4 stroke 250Fs because of their engine braking effects while in higher RPM ranges. This rear brake technique does apply more to 450Fs because they are not usually run in the higher RPM ranges while off the throttle and therefore, don't have as much engine braking. Of course, 2 strokes don't have as much engine braking either. Therefore, this 3 step rear braking technique is crucial.

Here's the way this 3 step braking technique works; while standing and riding down a straight away into a corner, when the throttle goes off, the rear brake goes on while the rider's body position us in the back position, the rear brake must continue to be controlled while the rider goes from standing to sitting. This is usually about a quarter way into the corner. Now the rider is controlling the rear brake while sitting on the front part of the seat, continuing to control the rear brake until he/she gets on the clutch and throttle to exit the corner. Only at that time is the rear brake released.

Learn how all of the braking techniques work and how to practice them in order to make them become natural and run on auto pilot with my "Motocross Braking Techniques DVD or Stream". http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-2-motocross-braking-techniques

Gary Semics
Professional Motocross Trainer

If you're serious about improving your motocross skills, checkout my website for additional tips and training resources. www.motocrossdvds.com

Braking Techs DVD Priviews page.jpg

Back