State/Ntl Forest stickers

Vet261

PR Addict
Question -- can you get the appropriate sticker to ride Ohio State APV areas (such as Maumee forest) and also National Forest (such as Wayne) without a title? Given that I look at videos online and see all sorts of yahoos riding old bikes, I can't imagine them having proper paperwork in order to get their sticker...or maybe they don't even have the proper sticker...dunno.

I have MSO for my new Husky since I bought it in PA. I have not yet gone and gotten Ohio Title for the bike...

Last edited:
For Maumee all that is needed is the Ohio registration stickers. For Wayne National you need the registration stickers and a trail pass. I'm not sure if you can obtain an Ohio registration on older bikes with a bill of sale, seems to me this is not possible, but I could be wrong. If your bike is fairly new, they are going to require an Ohio title. Since you have a MSO, they're going to want your tax money!

So Maumee forest looks kinda cool and looks like Toledo Trail Riders have put in a lot of effort to make it good. I like the fact that it's ONE WAY.

I'll admit, being a die-hard MX only guy for 30+ years I just don't even know about all this other stuff available for riding. I had a Michigan sticker in the past, but never even bought them myself. They were handed to me by the guy that went and got them all for the group LOL.

Reading the Ohio website looks like you need an "APV Sticker" to be legal in Ohio State Forest riding areas such as Maumee, Perry, Pike.

Maumee loop looks fun!

I rode Wayne National Forest for years and from what I know while they claim they want you to have an APV sticker I knew tons of people didn't. John to your point there just is no way all those old machines have a title. I don't think you would have a problem getting one and I do think it is more needed at the state forest. I did ride Perry but I had a plate. Wayne was just so much better.

The big thing is getting the national forest permit for Wayne, Hanging Rock, etc. I just bought a yearly pass at the Iron Pony every year but I am sure online is possible. I did like having the hard plastic plate. The other thing is a spark arrestor. I rode Wayne over 100 times and only saw a ranger once - he popped out from behind a tree, stopped me, looked at my permit, and stuck a rod in my silencer. I passed and off I went.

Last edited:
i dont think ohio even has stickers anymore i know quads get a small license plate
They do. Offroad motorcycles get a 3 year registration with two Ohio stickers. You can get a plate by swearing that your bike has the required equipment to be ridden on the road, renewable yearly.

I rode Maumee in the fall with some of the Toledo Trail Riders. Their single track is tight and has a lot of turns. First or second gear type, depending upon what you ride. No elevation changes, lots of sand. One way is very nice and the single track is pretty new, so it's not rutted up.

I rode Perry State Forest over the summer. I liked it better than Maumee, but I like elevation changes. It was more difficult to find my way around, but it is much larger than Maumee. The soil at Perry seems to be a little corrosive to the metals on your bike though, so wash it soon after riding there.

I haven't ridden Wayne National for at least a decade, so I can't help there.

Allegheny National Forest. If you are on two wheels all you have to do is fill out the form with your personal info and your VIN, that's it. If you are on more than two wheels you will need to fill out said form, have a plate or sticker, and insurance. It is $10 per day or $35 for the season (Friday of Memorial Day weekend till the last Sunday in Sept). The pass is for the bike not the rider, if you want to ride another bike you will have to get a pass for each bike. At the Hatfield/McCoy trails system the pass is for the rider (sticker goes on the riders helmet) so you can ride different bikes, ATVs, SxSs. The pass is $50 for folks outside of West Virginia and is good for the year for all eight trail systems.

So Maumee forest looks kinda cool and looks like Toledo Trail Riders have put in a lot of effort to make it good. I like the fact that it's ONE WAY.

I'll admit, being a die-hard MX only guy for 30+ years I just don't even know about all this other stuff available for riding. I had a Michigan sticker in the past, but never even bought them myself. They were handed to me by the guy that went and got them all for the group LOL.

Reading the Ohio website looks like you need an "APV Sticker" to be legal in Ohio State Forest riding areas such as Maumee, Perry, Pike.

Maumee loop looks fun!

So I took the time to watch the video. The only "single track" in the video is where he went through the width limiting posts at 54 seconds into the video. Then at 3:31 he approaches that yield sign. Left of that, and ahead on the trail, where you see the pink marking tape, is another set of width limiting posts to the entrance of another single track. This is where it gets very tight, slow and meandering. At 5:06, you see more posts and marking tape on the left. I am not positive, but I believe this is where that trail dumps out onto the main trail. There is another set of the width limiting posts on either side of one of the main trails where the single track crosses it, but I did not see them in the video. I'll also add that when I was there this fall, the main sand trails were all whooped out, not much smooth sailing as you see in the video! The Toledo Trail Riders guys said the main trails are "groomed" about three times a year to smooth the whoops.

Cool. I've ridden the Michigan Ntl Forest Trails up by Houghton Lake a few times. They are groomed a few times a year as well but when you would hit a trail that hadn't been groomed for a while....holy whoops. But it was fun, I really want to get back up there.

I've always been under the impression that you needed a title to get the Ohio Registration sticker. I've steered clear of buying non-titled bikes solely because of this.

I used to ride Wayne a lot, before the SxS's took over. It's a highway now, with no direction designation. And you will get ticketed if you venture off of the designated trails. Now if we go, we go to the Long Ridge trail system. Lots of single track there, and fewer rangers.

We've always preferred Perry County APV, as it is much more technical, and they are a lot more lenient on designated trails. Lots of fun hill climbs too if you know where to look.

Back