Maico wheel swap : building a Frankenstein maico

got 24 hrs before picking up a pile of maico parts to build a runner. Big question is will newer wheels, I believe they are off of a 1980 Mega MC 440/T
fit on a 74.5 GP 250? They have the brake plates not sure about axles and spacers

NQ1965

PR Elite
Many a moon ago, you'd likely have multiple replies to your question by now.
Today the only Pitracer member I can think of that might know the answer is MW850, and we don't hear from him much anymore.
Bums me out that interest in Vintage/Post Vintage/Evolution bikes and racing has declined this way.

This section of Pitracer used to really Rock!

• Sad
Reactions: k01
Well I got my answer else where, short answer, won't fit. But vintage racing is on the rise , the bikes are being restored, lots of part suppliers, even a big interest with younger riders. I'll still ride my kx250f for aggressive single track woods riding but man I want to smell that klots again

Dano762

PR Addict
You are right, especially with classes now through 1990s and 2000s 2 strokes. I lined up on a pretty full gate last spring (open Next Gen). About 14 on the gate and I was more than double the age of virtually every rider at the gate. Had amazing battles all day with a 19 year old in his first MX race. Raced him 2 months later and he was far ahead by the 3rd turn. Young guys get fast much easier than 60 year olds.

I would think 1980 hubs are not backward compatible for a 1974??? Not a Maico guy. Dubya can build wheels with your hubs - a bit expensive. Also look up Vintco for some hard to find engine parts.

For your question - https://www.facebook.com/JoeAbbatesCycleTherapy/ - He might have some good suggestions and is quite helpful.

Joe also has a Vintage Bike YouTube program on Wednesdays. MW850 would certainly have some ideas about what options there are.

I did my share of racing in 2021 and had plenty of other riders to race against. For me, one rider to battle, can make it a race.

2021 AHRMA Dan OBrien 2.jpg

You are right, especially with classes now through 1990s and 2000s 2 strokes. I lined up on a pretty full gate last spring (open Next Gen). About 14 on the gate and I was more than double the age of virtually every rider at the gate. Had amazing battles all day with a 19 year old in his first MX race. Raced him 2 months later and he was far ahead by the 3rd turn. Young guys get fast much easier than 60 year olds.

I would think 1980 hubs are not backward compatible for a 1974??? Not a Maico guy. Dubya can build wheels with your hubs - a bit expensive. Also look up Vintco for some hard to find engine parts.

For your question - https://www.facebook.com/JoeAbbatesCycleTherapy/ - He might have some good suggestions and is quite helpful.

Joe also has a Vintage Bike YouTube program on Wednesdays. MW850 would certainly have some ideas about what options there are.

I did my share of racing in 2021 and had plenty of other riders to race against. For me, one rider to battle, can make it a race.

View attachment 74203
Beautiful bike, I restored a 78 yz250 a couple years back, man if we could just keep'm all !

Last edited:
Yeah them young ones , you got to keep your eyes on them , back in the late 80s when I was in my 30s at SIR in Seattle I had to race with the younger guys , I wasn't 35 yet, these kids were ride'n with one hand on the bars and one foot on the pegs....

Dano762

PR Addict

NQ1965

PR Elite
yep,yep, you're right.
Came right up when I switched to google.

Glad about that. Been a short while since I've been on the websight, but a valuable resource for sure.

That 77-YZ250 must be a good fit for you, looks like you are doing well with it.

Reactions: k01

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'm seeing only 6 listings in the classifieds?
That's too bad. Having a dedicated online swap meet for vintage cycle parts is pretty handy.
The Message Board forum traffic appears to have slowed down a good bit as well.

Another casualty of Facebook I'm guessing.