Diamond Dons

ballinger19

PR Addict
It will be my first time there. Most people I have talked to say that if you can only make it to one ahrma race Don's is one of the best.
Big rider numbers and lot's of past champions and just a fun weekend.
I'm riding friday and sunday. 83 yz 250 in the 60 B.

majorKAP

PR Addict
I'll be traveling there with my pals Bob Adams of Richmond KY and Keith Boyd of Wapakaneta OH. I hope to volunteer during the Cross-Country races.

I'll race a couple or three classes each MX day. Bob and Keith are both 60+ Intermediates and will ride VMX and PVMX.

Tharrell

PR Member
It's kinda far for me but I decided to go.
I can get 2 bikes I bought in Colorado Springs to DD and race the weekend for what it would cost to drive to Colorado alone.
Plus, it's a 24 hour drive to C one way.
ha ha ha...I can justify just about anything when I need to!

btw-Are any of you guys coming to Devils Ridge or Lake Sugartree?

halffast

PR Elite
I would really like to make it to Lake Sugartree . It might be the one " far " race if things fall into place for our crew but a lot will depend on fuel prices , bike woes , health issues , blah , blah , blah . Sure would like to though . I'll bet the Bultaco boys Missouri event will be good too . Casey is my favorite followed closely by Log Road and I have high hopes for our Athens , Ohio round .

majorKAP

PR Addict
I'm shooting for all of those mentioned above, and perhaps a few more. Ah....retirement, it's grand so far.

ballinger19

PR Addict
Good luck at Casey.
The last time I was there was 20 years ago wearing a cast on my left leg ( broke it at the season opener at Malvern ).
My son Joey was riding the 80 cc 12/13 regional and broke his left leg that day. we had matching cast.

majorKAP

PR Addict
Anybody that is going to DD's want to share a room at Holiday Inn Suites in Marshall (15 miles). Nothing in Jefferson but B&B's and Roach Motels, largely all booked already. I stayed at the Holiday Inn last year with a couple of lesbian racers from CA and their tall blonde galfriend from Dallas.

I can't hope for that combination again.

Tharrell

PR Member
3 of us are taking a toyhauler.
Our numbers are 106 Sam Chappell, 10d Tom Boyd and 84x Tony Harrell.
Maicos, Hondas Ossa, Yamaha and Pentons this race.
Black Dodge 4 door, come over and bench race with us. Tony

majorKAP

PR Addict
That's great. We'll be arriving Thursday AM to claim our favored pit area. Saw this pic of my Nissan Titan on Don's website.

DiamondDons-1.jpg

If this is your first year, and you haven't already, consider buying a Friday banquet ticket. Pretty good meal for ten bucks, plus a chance to meet a lot of fellow riders. You can ride the small scale train from the track to the dinner hall.

Of course, free eats at the track on Saturday which has been first rate in years past.

Tharrell

PR Member
Who do I send the money for the banquet to?
Free meal, you're talking about the sat night dinner right?
Man, I hope we have good weather like Gatorback.

majorKAP

PR Addict
BanquetForm.jpg

You can find a link to the form about halfway down the AHRMA home page in the section dated 03/01/11.

Last year, the friday banquet was a couple miles away at a facility in town. Now that I've looked into it a bit, I'm not so sure if it will be at that location again. It was nice. Maybe they'll have it at the track this time around. I hope not.

The free dinner will definitely be on saturday evening at the track.

majorKAP

PR Addict
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Saw this on DD's website.

"Diamond Don Motorsports has cancelled the raffle for the trip to Australia due to lack of interest."

Too bad, I intended to buy a ticket at the track and was looking forward to going down under.

majorKAP

PR Addict
Trashed an exhaust and a rear wheel at Gatorback. Just got things back in order. New exhaust, powdered hubs with new bearings and seals, Excel rims, fresh rubber and a bit of polish for the engine cases. Looking forward to DD's.

DSC05992.jpg

DSC05993.jpg

DSC05991.jpg

DSC05994.jpg

Also got my primary RM250 back in order with RaceTech springs and emulators in the forks, Works shock at the rear. Spent way too much. Hope I can tell a difference on the track.

DSC05989.jpg

halffast

PR Elite
Bikes look great ! You definitely should get one of the AHRMA cool bike awards this year , at least for the CZ . I was wondering how you shift that bike with the lever positioned so high ? I thought they had a loooong throw anyway .

majorKAP

PR Addict
Hey, thanks for the compliment. That RM is (for the most part), one that once belonged to evomx244. He did himself a disservice by letting that one go. It's been a dandy the last couple of years.

You're correct....the CZ shifter does require a ridiculous amount of travel. I learned from the longtime CZ riders that the shifter has to be mounted in that position. The trick is to lift your boot completely off the peg. Humans don't have enough flex in their ankle joint to move the shifter sufficiently if it is mounted level with the peg. Also, if mounted level, downshifting would nearly put the tip of the shifter in the dirt!

I know it's weird, but you kinda get used to it pretty quickly. Fortunately, as a 4-speed, not much shifting is necessary.

mooch

PR Elite
Yep, great looking bikes Karl...good luck in Texas!

There's a Michigan Regional AHRMA race at Sandusky Valley Riders in Tiffin on 6/5 with a practice day on 6/4 that I thought I'd go to..any thoughts on whether you might check that out ?

Logroad is 5/22 so that will probably be the first one I hit up this year.