Dual sport rides

Nice list.

Maybe in 2014 if my back heals up ok I could take the DR 400S on some of the easier trials & fire or back roads.

Maico Mark

Another One-Race entry wins the new bike. Like the KTM given away the previous year, the winner only rode one AMA Dual Sport, and that's all it took. One entry, and a new bike. the winner was chosed from the entries of the Baby Burr, which many of us rode. I didn't win but glad it was one of our fellow brethren that did. Congratulations on your new bike!

AMA and Husqvarna announce winner of Husqvarna TE449 in 2012 AMA Husqvarna National Dual Sport Trail Riding Series

April 03, 2013
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- American Motorcyclist Association member Chris Latham of Greencastle, Ind., has one more reason to hit the trails this year. The 46-year-old Latham won the grand prize for participating in the 2012 AMA Husqvarna National Dual Sport Trail Riding Series: a 2013 Husqvarna TE449 from series sponsor Husqvarna North America.

The annual AMA prize drawing, conducted by the independent auditing and accounting firm of Plante & Moran of Columbus, Ohio, included participants in all events on the national dual-sport calendar.

"This is awesome! I never dreamed that I would win anything like this," said Latham, who was entered into the drawing thanks to his participation in the Enduro Rider Association's Baby Burr dual-sport ride in McArthur, Ohio. "I have a friend who has been going to the Baby Burr for years, and he hooked me up with that ride. I've done it the last two years. I took my son with me last year, and it was the best riding I have ever done in my life."

Latham, who has been riding motorcycles since he was eight years old, said that events on the AMA Husqvarna National Dual Sport Trail Riding Series are some of the most fun he has had on a motorcycle.

"We also do local cross-country races in Indiana, but these days, dual-sport rides are where my real passion is," Latham said. "That's what I enjoy doing, and it gives me an opportunity to ride with my son. I like being able to just go out and ride with friends and enjoy the ride and not have to cover the same trail over and over again. Going on a 100-mile trail ride with friends and coming back to a campfire and camaraderie -- it doesn't get any better."

Latham's Husqvarna is a big step up from the first motorcycle he rode in the woods.

"Believe it or not, my first bike was a Honda Dream, and I rode that thing all over the woods when I was a kid," said Latham, who is looking forward to taking delivery of his Husqvarna so he can give his current bike to his son. "Then, in 1977, I got a brand new mini-bike, and I was king of the world."

Bought a 2013 KTM XC 300 last month, added lights and got it plated. I'm looking forward to the 5/18 - 5/19 hanging rock dual sport event. That will be my first dual sport ride...looks fun!

Hey Mooch, why don't you consider your first ride Renfro Valley, KY? That's a really awesome two-day dual sport, a classic. you'll dig it, it will ramp you up for Hanging Rock. Though the Rock is only a one day actual dual sport, it can break a newbie in two. If it's muddy, it can be tough, and it will be muddy. That 300XC will be perfect for dual sporting. If you'd like more infor on Renfro, just google it. It's not an AMA Sanctioned dual sport but every bit as good. Two days, great campground (we have an extra bed in our cabin if you'd like to share costs), great red-sandy-loomy soil, and plenty of single-track trail through the Daniel Boone National Forest and the like. Just sayin'...

ImRiz, I appreciate the tip on the Renfro Valley event and I'd check it out if it didn't conflict with the AMA vintage mx series round at Action Sports in Athens that same weekend. I'm looking as forward to getting the old bike out to that event as I am riding the XC at Hanging Rock. I've done some tough trails up in Michigan so I'm familiar with how poorly I can do on single track!

Speaking of which, one of the most difficult things I've done on any trail involved getting across a massive beaver damn up in Michigan that was probably 75 yards of piled up large pointed branches with just enough room on top for a bike. The sides were steep drop offs into deep water. With the sides of the damn being ultra steep, it truly would have been a nightmare to get a bike back up out of the water and back on top of that beaver dam.

Heck, you might as well might of had to leave it had you gone off into the water. Who knows how deep it was. doesn't sound fun. Those kind of obstacles I find you just have to hit the gas when you come up on it. Cause if you stop and think about it, you'll psyche yourself right into the drink! Hit the Gas Baby!!!

Back