80/100-21 vs. 90/100-21?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
So, I pick up a 90/100-21 front tire today at a decent price. A Dunlop mx51f. Noticed the new Kawi on the floor had an 80/100-21 size. What's the difference in feel/handing if any between the 90 and 80 widths? Thinking for me it will be fine. Just curious what peeps thoughts might be.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I prefer the wider tires. I feel like they go through loamy turns better. But the skinnier tires seems to track in ruts awesomely. I don't know. Probably just personal feel for tire preference.

C Hudak

PR Addict
I have always gone with bla/bla-21. Until someone pointed it out to me on some rear tires, I never paid attention. One is definitely harder to put on and take off then the other on the rear tire.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Just checked the tire on it now. Michelin 90/90-21. I'll try it. I do know the second number is the sidewall height and the smaller that number, the tougher to slide on, so this 90/100-21 should go on like butta! ;-)

Spagina

PR Elite
the second number isnt exactly the height, it is an aspect ratio.

Okay, for example, a 90/90-21.

The first 90 is the width

The second 90 is the PERCENT of the width, which is the height. So, the height is 90% as high as the width. 90mm x 90% = 81.

So really, the measurements of your tire would be 90mm/ 81mm - 21.

hope this helps.