2012 YZ125 Bog

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
I have a 2012 YZ125 bought brand new off the floor, broke in properly (overkill actually). Running all stock, all I did was rasie the idle slighly ( it would die if I didnt). Running 100 octane CAM2 gas from Speedway at 36:1 with Klotz SuperTechniplate pre-mix. At idle if I snap the throttle hard im getting a slight bog.. Any ideas?

I have a 09...its the same bike...check the air screw and set it about 2 to 2 1/4 out. dont set the idle to high it will lean out the pilot side of the jetting and cause it to bog... if you running a stock motor dont run straight race gas... my bike likes a blend of 50/50 race gas and 93 pump gas. i also run klotz at 40:1...

I have a 09...its the same bike...check the air screw and set it about 2 to 2 1/4 out. dont set the idle to high it will lean out the pilot side of the jetting and cause it to bog... if you running a stock motor dont run straight race gas... my bike likes a blend of 50/50 race gas and 93 pump gas. i also run klotz at 40:1...

True, I experienced a bog with my '06 when I set the idle up for dead engine GP starts. My bike runs fine on 93 pump gas with Alisyn synthetic at 50:1. Your pilot jet should be clean but even slight residue can change it's performance. The '12 did get a little richer main and needle compared to the '09. '12 specs and settings along with the aluminum frame YZ 125 yearly changes are nicely compiled here... http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/aa1d8c42-5553-4579-ab1b-a937a5a6c704.aspx

With all the additives and CRAP put in 93 pump gas, ill never run pump gas.. VP or CAM2 at the least.. besides my book calls for MIN of 95 octane.. Meaning the actual octane rating in the motor of 93 pump gas is actually closer to 89 or so... Running CAM2 at 100 octane gets me closer to 95 octane. I ran VP113 and dropped down to a 420 main jet and the bike ran beautifully all weekend.. YZs have a detonatoin issue, VP113 resists that, seemed to really help.. at $13 a gallon its pretty steep, but ill pay it to have my bike running good!

I am going to go up to 40:1 though on my mix next batch, and check the plug to see how it looks.

Google told me this: "The 95 octane rating in the manual is for RON (research octane number). In the US gas stations use (RON + MON)/2, which is typically 4-5 points lower than the RON rating. So 95 RON means you can use 90-91 octane pump."

I've always mixed my bikes closer to 50:1 too.

wow. ive always done 32:1 growing up, my ktm 250sx manual stated 60:1 which I thought was crazy.. i ran it at 40.. if i pick up any 2 strokes in the future ill probably stick to 40:1

Google told me this: "The 95 octane rating in the manual is for RON (research octane number). In the US gas stations use (RON + MON)/2, which is typically 4-5 points lower than the RON rating. So 95 RON means you can use 90-91 octane pump."

My manual says 90 octane r+m/2 or 95 RON on my RMZ 450 I thought it was the same in my yz125 manual, I will have to find it.

RMs are 90... YZs have been 95 for a while.. After reading up YZs do have a detination issue.. VP113 claims to resist detination, a ROM of 118 and actual of 109.. I ran that this weekend and my
Bike has never ran better.

I have run my YZ125 on 93 with no issues at all for years. Ran it as a 144 with 93 no issues also. I will tell you with having at least 10 yz125's from 98 till now that you can safely run 93 in a 125 if you dont add compression and that they come jetted rich from the factory. Every single YZ125 I have owned has had one size smaller main jet and raised the needle clip one spot to get the jetting spot on. Just trying to save you $ in race fuel that is actually losing you horsepower on a stock bike.

My 09 has stock jetting and run great with no pinging at all on the race gas blend... the 125 are jetted very well right out of the box...you should not have to mess with anything other than the air screw...

I have run my YZ125 on 93 with no issues at all for years. Ran it as a 144 with 93 no issues also. I will tell you with having at least 10 yz125's from 98 till now that you can safely run 93 in a 125 if you dont add compression and that they come jetted rich from the factory. Every single YZ125 I have owned has had one size smaller main jet and raised the needle clip one spot to get the jetting spot on. Just trying to save you $ in race fuel that is actually losing you horsepower on a stock bike.

Pump gas has ethanol in it.. Which damages 2 strokes.. Ill spend the extra few dollars. The amount of horsepower you claim I'm losing in more then sure I won't feel.. It's getting Vforce, a full exhaust, and port and polish this winter anyway, but I can tell you my bike runs better on The good stuff.

Back