RM125 clutch not dis engaging

Did you miss the ball bearing between the pivot arm and push rod to the pressure plate? I did that once many years ago on my first bike and took me hours of taking it back apart and researching everything step by step that could have went wrong. Luckily I found it in the oil pan I had sitting under the bike. I didn't even know it had one untill I bought the book, it's very easy to miss if you don't know it's supposed to be there.

I suggest buying a lifetime warranted wiseco clutch kit....that sucker will grab!

My dad used to file down the baskets on race day as a last ditch effort if needed. Even after that the clutch wouldn't last an entire (4-5 lap) moto. Pop the cover off after the moto and wa-la...grooves were back! I used to smoke clutches on 2001 yz 80's, he bought them in bulk. Never had clutch issues on other bikes. Hell I think my dad spent enough money to buy a few new bikes in all the clutches for my yamaha 80s...

New cable, lever and perch, fiber plates, steel plates, springs.

the lever/cable mechanisms seem to be working as normal. I take it apart and slide the rack gear(?) into the pinion(?) and move the cable and it pulls out the pressure plate.

the problem that started this all was the gear on the crank spun loose and smacked up against the back side of the outer basket, eating large gear grooves in it. prior to me owning the bike. the problem by deduction has to be the basket or hub. maybe when the problem
happened it could have bent up the basket? causing an out of round issue? still no grooves in hub or basket after 2 hours of riding. gotta be the baskets of the shaft theyre tired into right? I just need confirmation before I purchase more parts.

thanks fellas

Mark

My 07 does the same thing. It creeps a bit when lever is in. It did it when I put brand new everything in it.

Junkyarddog,
I'm having the same issue with a 1996 suzuki rm125. New clutch basket bushing, bearing, basket, inner hub, new steel plates and friction plates, new cable. You can feel the tension on the pressure plate when you pull the clutch but will not disengage.
Did you ever figure out the issue?

I just realized that there is play where the rack slides in and out of the outer clutch cover. Could this mean that the pressure plate doesn't lift off the clutches evenly? Or maybe even one side Is dragging ?

also following picked up a 96 rm125 and replaced the perch, new tusk plates and ebc springs, having the same problem. evrytime I try to put it in gear and it jolts forward and stalls, the cable seems to be okay

does that bike use the little rack and pinion setup to operate the clutch?
is it possible it isn't meshed right?
Could the arm on top of the clutch cover be on the spline at the wrong position in rotation?
I had a 96 RM250 but never had an issue with the clutch other than the aluminum plates if I remember right

Last edited:
I too am having the same problem. I have a 97 rm125. I went through all the same procedures, but someone mentioned about a bearing in the push rod that would help with the clearance of not opening the clutch pack. I'm going to tear it apart again to take a look see if I have that bearing behind it

Has anyone figured it out? I’m having the exact problem, Has to be something with the clutch pinion rod or something?

Back