Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Vet261

PR Addict
Well, another Winter is here. I'm deep into projects already as my "Chillitwisted' ankle put an end to riding for me about 5 weeks ago. Friggin ankle still hurts!

Anyway, I've managed to almost finish the entire restore on the '96 RM125 and also put a fresh look on the '91 RM125 so far......

What's everyone else got going on?

96RM01.jpg91RM02.jpg

Those look awesome. I would love to get a 125 Honda to match my 250 for vintage next year just have not found the right one yet.

Here's what I just picked up for a project - 82 RM250 - "back of the barn" complete with mouse nest in the airbox! C'mon Vintage Days!

IMG_00000674.jpg

Nice lookin bikes Pit....
I have a few getting ready to be worked on myself. No major work just cleanup and maintenance. Jack did have an issue with the 82 Rm 250 that needs addressed . Glad he was able to finish his last race on it!
Going to finally have a little time after Thanksgiving to dive into them....

Hi Mike - what happened with your RM 250? Did you do a complete rebuild on it in the past?

One of the crank bearings shredded at Mid Ohio 2012. Split the cases and replaced all the bearings and seals but he struggled with strange issues all season like fouling plugs, flooding, inconsistent spark, etc.

Hi Mike - what happened with your RM 250? Did you do a complete rebuild on it in the past?
The bike had a rebuild before the season. Everything but the crank. It runs just lost some compression the final race. I have not taken it apart yet. My guess is a ring issue.
Jack had some throttle cable issues all year that we finally got worked out. It was the routing of a new motion pro cable that kept breaking off the carb adjuster . I had never seen anything like it before. We went thru 3 brass Adjustment nuts.

Bill with the 83 CR needs to chime in on a few things - 1. The throttle cable issue Jack had helped me out a couple times. 2. 5 weeks is nothing-my shoulder still hurts from crashing at Medina. 3.At the last GP I ran at Action Sports I was on my last lap and the bike went ping, ping, ping.........seize. 4.Got home took it apart - epoxy used to repair the corroded magnesium water pump turned to sludge and jammed the impeller causing the shaft to completely strip so not coolant circulating, detonation made head unusable. 5.Installed new cylinder, piston, and head - runs great but still worried about the water pump. 6.Just bought an 81 aluminum cover for an obscene amount of money so it won't happen again. 7.All is good. See you all at Athens in May.....

The bike had a rebuild before the season. Everything but the crank. It runs just lost some compression the final race. I have not taken it apart yet. My guess is a ring issue.
Jack had some throttle cable issues all year that we finally got worked out. It was the routing of a new motion pro cable that kept breaking off the carb adjuster . I had never seen anything like it before. We went thru 3 brass Adjustment nuts.

So how did you resolve the cable issue? Did you stick with the MotionPro? I need to replace all the cables on this project, along with most everything else. This thing's rough and I discovered the right side case is broken where the bolt goes through on the bottom. Time to hit ebay...
IMG_00000705.jpg IMG_00000706.jpg

So how did you resolve the cable issue? Did you stick with the MotionPro? I need to replace all the cables on this project, along with most everything else. This thing's rough and I discovered the right side case is broken where the bolt goes through on the bottom. Time to hit ebay...
View attachment 12684 View attachment 12685
The cable needed to sit in ( not on top ) of the brass adjuster that screws into the too of the carb. The previous owner had a off brand cable on there. When I replaced it the fitment was off and the cable would bend or c**k sideways under riding conditions . After 3 attempt and a few dNF Motos we figured it out . The new motion pro throttle tube and cable ended up being the fix. I also had to look up the routing in the manual due to a custom exhaust bracket that was jacking up the cable under the tank .
I'm not the best mechanic so it may have been obvious to a more experienced rider . We struggled all year with that.

The cable needed to sit in ( not on top ) of the brass adjuster that screws into the too of the carb. The previous owner had a off brand cable on there. When I replaced it the fitment was off and the cable would bend or c**k sideways under riding conditions . After 3 attempt and a few dNF Motos we figured it out . The new motion pro throttle tube and cable ended up being the fix. I also had to look up the routing in the manual due to a custom exhaust bracket that was jacking up the cable under the tank .
I'm not the best mechanic so it may have been obvious to a more experienced rider . We struggled all year with that.

Well that's good to know about what cable works correctly so I wont waste time experimenting. Because of the cracked case, I'm going to go ahead and replace all the bearings on re-assembly and hopefully I won't have any motor issues next year! Any other issues from your experience with that bike that I should be watching for?

Here's my '96 RM125 winter project. Not nearly as nice as John's though.

View attachment 12688

Very nice Dave! Did you have to do a complete overhaul with the bike when you got it?

I'm not up to speed yet with the vintage rules & regs - is '96 the newest model year to qualify for racing in that category?*

*Alright - did my homework - for 2014 "Non-current" will be anything 1998 and older - my '82 RM will be "Evolution 3"

I picked this up in Newark about 6 weeks ago. I put on the seat cover and decals, and just did a general clean up. I haven't ridden yet and still have some things to do on it.

Back