2014 Enduro & Dual Sport Schedule for Ohio region

IMRiz

PR Member
Here is a list of unbelievable, single track riding, total virgin trails through hundreds of miles of public and private land, joined together with "some" road. So I think it's safe to say, you need a plate, or some semblence of one, for riding the evens below. Also, in any enduro a Sportsman class if available if not inerested in competeing in the points series. Also, most of those events run a dual sport on most of the same trails after all of the enduro riders are gone. Usually around 11. Check the club websites for details, which is nice below are links to all of these different clubs in Southern Ohio, KY, IN, PA, MI. These clubs work their tails off getting land owner permissions, clearing and marking single track trail. It's hard work to provide for a 100 mile day. Two day events are two hundred miles at least, ideally 80 trail/20 road. These are fantastic, growing events. Many provide lunch on the trail, roasts on Saturday night's, camping, prizes, bike washes, etc. Good times, hope to see you all out there! Here is the preliminary list!

RD. 1 - March 16
CERA: ART MITCHELL
http://www.chillicotheenduro.com/

RD. 2 - March 30
NSER: MOONSHINE
http://www.nsenduro.com/

RD. 3 - April 13
LODI: LOST IN LODI
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lost-in-Lodi/115904008481048

2014 May 3 & 4 KY - Renfro Valley Dual Sport

RD. 4 - May 4
OWR: GRASS MAN
http://www.ohiowoodsriders.com/

2013 May 18 & 19 - OH - Hanging Rock 200 Dual Sport on Sat adv on Sunday

2014 May 31 Dual sport BSA Reliability Run/Vintage Trials 9am
http://www.ohiovalleybsaownersclub.com/Site/events-top

2014 June 7-8 Durty dubbers national Mill hall, Pa

2014 June 7-8 - MI - Whiskey Creek DS

RD. 5&6 - JUNE 14-15
ADR: LITTLE RACCOON ISDE QUALIFIER
http://www.www.adrohio.org/

2014 June22 - OH - Flint Ridge Dualsport

RD. 7 - JUNE 29
AMC: Milk Run
http://athensmotorcycleclub.com/

2014 Dual Sport ~ July 27*(? 2-day)*****Muddobbers, mathews, In

2014 TBD was July 27-28 Black Bear National Dual Sport chilcothe enduro riders

2014 Aug 3 (1-day) ZTRA- OH - Bootleg DS

2014 Aug 8 Dual sport BSA rally 9am

RD. 8 - AUG. 10
HVMC: JAKE-TOM
http://www.hockingvalleymc.com/

2014 TBD * Black Diamonds Dual Sport**** Tentative Location - Burr Oak State Park

RD. 8 - AUG. 10
HVMC: JAKE-TOM
http://www.hockingvalleymc.com/

2013 Sept 20-21- OH - Nutcracker DS

RD. 9 - AUG 24
ERA: LITTLE BURR
http://www.enduroriders.com/

Kentucky LBL 200 Dual Sport-Sept. 6-7 2014

RD. 10 - SEP ??
TO BE ANNOUNCED

2014 sept 13-14 - IN - Buffaloe 500 Dualsport

2014 OCT 11-12 Dual sport - OH - Baby Burr

RD. 11 - NOV. 10
TCMC: PEACE PIPE
http://www.treatycitymc.com/

I have a question? Kinda wanta try one or two of these things but I have NO CLUE how it is scored or whats the rules? Is it time or what? How is the winner figured?
A life time of moto has me spoiled (pretty simple to figure out who won when its first one across the line) Can you give me a cliffs notes version?

How to win? How to enter, etc.

I have a question? Kinda wanta try one or two of these things but I have NO CLUE how it is scored or whats the rules? Is it time or what? How is the winner figured?
A life time of moto has me spoiled (pretty simple to figure out who won when its first one across the line) Can you give me a cliffs notes version?

Well, if you are interested in racing Enduro, then I would suggest joining ACES and riding the ACES Enduro Series. that is a timed event with check points that you must hit along the way, you can't be too early, and you can't be too late. Too early and you take a bigger points penalty, too late and not as bad. Too early, bad. The object is to maintain an average speed and with your odometer, on-board computer and/or a wrist watch like a endurolly challenged cheap skate such as myself might use. It's tough though, if you've never competed in a timed enduro, I would suggest trying a few dual sports first, or entering in the Sportsman Class which accumulates NO points, your just out there riding with the Enduro racers. A dual sport is run on mostly the same course with some easy outs around the super hard stuff. Dual sports and enduros attract riders that are 17 and 70, and everything in between. and don't think a 70 year old is slow, they aren't. It's funny, a guy blows by you, you get to the next stop and he has his helmet off and gray hair or bald. then you feel really slow, but you might not be that slow. A lot of these guys are pretty fast, and fearless, and have the top of the line equipment with all the bells and whistles, and likely a Recluse Clutch. So it is really an all ages sport.

My recommendation is this. Get some sort of a plate on your bike (not your backpack, on your bike) and come out to a Dual Sport. Just see if you can finish all the sections in the course. It'll be about 100+ miles, hopefully 80/20 single trail to road, sometimes we get hosed and it's like 60/40, 50/50, 30/70....oops did I say that? No really it's a ton of work for these clubs that put these events on. they have to line up all the private land, make the trails, mark it with arrows then clean up afterwards. it's a lotta work. That's why I like just being a entry, I live too far away to blaze trails for the ride. I ride the trails they blaze.

Here's the deal, when would you ever get to ride total SINGLE track trail through pretty much virgin woods (cause it's all private property donated to the club for the day) that doesn't have four wheeler ruts (Wayne), head on traffic (WAYNE) or many of the other crazy stuff that is potentially out there. A dual sporter and an enduro riders all have camaraderie, they help each other out, no man left behind, they have fun and they ride their nuts off. what could be better.

I would suggest to anyone interested in trying their first dual sport, leading to eventually entering an Enduro, come out to Hanging Rock 200 at Logan State Park (Staging Grounds) on May 17-18, 2014. Do a google and get the contact info, it's a Husqvarna sanctioned event, and call Bill K. and reserve yourself a cabin. They have killer cabins available, park your stuff right out front. ride Saturday, they serve you lunch somewhere along the way, a hot lunch, then you finish at the Zelenski Volunteer Fire Department, who also serve food while the firemen pressure wash the bikes for donations. then Ride Sunday, get another lunch and bolt home around 4pm, you'll be home for Walking Dead at 9PM. It's easy to get too also, you know how when you go to Wayne and you make that immediate left right when the road (RT. 33) goes down to two lanes? Well you make a right instead of a left about 50 yards past the left into Wayne. Not that bad, little over 3 hour drive!

Expect 200 miles minimum of riding, two days. Single track trail out the wazoo!!! yea, mud, cliffs, trees, swamp with pallets (thankfully for the pallets) the illustrious "hanging rock" trail (always love that trail), steep downhills, rocky uphills, unbelievable scenery, great food, and I gotta say, some of my best buddies in the world. If that is over the top for a first timer, then try....

Flint Ridge Dual Sport, it's a one-dayer with free camping staging on ancient Indian grounds. it's about 2.5 hours south from here (Strongsville) and located by the big picnic basket (seven story Longenberger headquarters). It's pretty cool when you come out into a clearing and see this seven story picnic basket. Google image it if you don't' know what I'm talking about. I think I saw Robin Sr. there last year. This is a killer dual sport. Great, great trails, not too much road, good food, balls to the walls wood riding. Plan to cook with gas on this one. This is one of the favorites!!!

See you out there, "Hit the Gas!"

When I got home last night, thought about my post. with regards to a dual sport or an enduro I wanted to say the following. I realize that motocrossers are motocrossers, and enduro guys enduro guys. In my frail mind I figure everyone knows everything about everything. CK1 asked how does the scoring work, etc. Then I described the enduro's and dual sports, with some assumptions that everyone knows how they work. For the motocrosser, you guys learn the track/course then get faster with each lap. A DS or Enduro race is from Point A to Point B. you rarely ever see, actually never see, the same trail twice during a day. You start at point A, and basically traverse a couple of counties where they string a ton of private property owner's land together with county roads. that's why you need a plate. you can get away with just a plate, headlight and taillight, most of the time. That's what I have. Technically I could be ticketed for no horn or turn signals, and it happens if your screwing off. On the road, you have to act like your in your car on the way home from the bar, straight, between the lines, and at the posted speed limit. It is possible to run into a check point aimed at ruining some rider's days, but these are rare, we are usually warned where they are, etc. However, most of these events raise money for the local fire and police chapters so, usually they love us, unless your riding a wheelie down Mainstreet with your license plate tie-wrapped to your camel back, bad decision. Heck, for the Treaty City Peace Pipe Enduro, the sheriffs seem like fans. they are at most road crossings stopping traffic so you can catch air over the road in fifth gear. Okay, maybe a little extreme but they are really cool.

An enduro is timed for points and prizes. Tougher course, all single track, usually around 80 miles plus total, usually 90/10 trail to road. A dual sport is NOT timed, no one wins, places or shows, usually 100 miles per day, hopefully 80/20 but varies. At the riders meeting they give you a route sheet that you have to cut and tape into your route chart holder (Moose has a nice one), and between that chart and the posted arrows you find your way from point A to point B. No one wins or loses in a dual sport. the object for me atleast is to finish. I find it hard, I know many way better riders that say, "ahhhhh it's easy." So the point of a dual sport is to complete all of the sections if you can. There are easy outs if you get tired. I would call most of the trails C level and B level enduro trails. An Enduro might have 80% same trails with some really tough sections, or "Caveman" sections. Those can be challenging, google it in youtube and see.
The clubs that lay out these courses really are into doing a great job. they love cool stuff, so expect tunnels, caves, deep-ass water crossings with and without currents, tons of tree crossings, steep, long ups and downs, beautiful vistas. etc. Man, if you can be sure to attend the two day Baby Burr at the end of the season, you get the "haunted tunnel" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5xlNbKrAw), lunch on top of a big hill in a clearing that overlooks a beautiful farm, most events have giveaways from sponsors, great camping at the fairgrounds with hot showers, all kinds of stuff like that. It's pretty fun, I think.
I don't know if it will fill your motocross jones, I don't think it will. there's no jumps or woops or stuff like that, except sometimes cause they run some events around a GNCC course (one or half a lap) or private motocross tracks in club member's yards. But that's very limited. These events are: load up water, two-stroke oil in a small measured container (cause there is a gas stop always), tools, common parts, air, tubes, spark plug, wire, springs, anything you can think of that you could need. Nothing is worse than waiting on the sweep crew. Oh, and there is always a sweep crew. these trails go very very remote, more than you'll ever see in a car or at Wayne National Forest. I'm talking super remote. I stop and take pictures, some guys fly like they are in the Recluse National Enduro final race of the season with everyone tied. It doesn't matter, just have fun.
So there you have it, I hope I answered your question. This is a pretty cool sport, each event gets anywhere from 100 to 300 riders. That's a lot of guys, and girls. there are some fast ladies out there too. Last year there was this nearly impossible uphill right out of a right hand turn out of a creek, straight up over roots about 20 feet, then just straight up loose soil. This girl made it, with a handful of other A level riders, she sat at the top taunting us pussies. So, I don't think you can call Dual Sporting easy, it's not. I climbed Kilimanjaro and I always think about 75% into day one, "This is way harder." Trust me, it is.

"Play it Loud!"

Like IMRiz said dual sports are like enduros but with no scoring or awards, just for fun and riding to unqiue places. they would be good practice for anyone not accustomed to offroad riding or racing.
Enduro's are scored in two different ways depending on the series or club, theres the "old way" which is the time keeping method IMRiz kinda described. you start at a certain time. key time is say 900am which will be when the first row leaves. if you are on row 27 you will start at 927am for ex. using the 900am example the first timed section is measured in avg speed to come up with a time to complete the section by the club, say 35mins. so at the check out of the section if you are "on time" you should be there at 935am. then you will transfer to the next section which can be roads trails or whatever and is also timed but no points are lost for being late unless you are late to the check in for the next section. the transfer sections usually have a slower avg speed and longer time to complete. you should arrive at the next check in spot early and be able to take a short break, 5-10 mins, depending on speed and skill obviously. the you will start the next section at your start time again 900am or 00. and repeat for 6 or more sections. sometimes there will be a gas stop or reset in the middle or towards the middle of the race. this is usually an hour or 30mins. if you are on your minute or on time for a section you will get a zero or 0 points. minute early 2 points up till 5 mins early where you are DQ for being too early. if you are a minute late you will lose 1 point per minute up till 30 (or 60mins depending on race) where you will also be Dq'ed for being too late. you can still ride sometimes to the gas or reset to get back to your car. the name of the game is to as closely match the ang speed and time for each section to drop the least amount of points. the rider with lowest points wins.
"new style" or "reset style" or "national enduro style" enduro's you will not be penalized for being up to 15mins early at a check out. if you are late to the check then it is still 1 point per minute up to 60mins. you must still start the reset check in on time but if you are behind at the reset there are no penaltys. the avg speed of most reset style enduros is really high so it is basically a race to the finish in each section. look at it as 5 or 6 small hare scrambles done back to back for 80-100 miles. only about half of the ground miles will be racing and the other half will be transfer sections. again the rider with the lowest score wins.

Going down to the Art Mitchell Enduro tomorrow. Probably just ride the sportsman class. I keep trying to convince myself that the wind is drying everything up. LOL

ok, been considering this for a while - think i'm gonna pull the trigger this year. I've got a street legal 450x that I supermoto'ed for a few years, but now relegated to strictly mx tracks and trails - it has lights, plate (need to renew), but no speedo, horn or turn signals (horn? really? if you can't hear my pipe no horn is gonna help!).

thinking about hitting the Hanging Rock deal in May. And if it blows my skirt up then the Baby Burr thing in the fall.

my concerns: I've got brand new Dunlop mx tires on it and not too thrilled with wearing them out on paved road riding. also, although i'm only a C level mx rider, I do like to ride fast and prefer it over sight-seeing. lots of log trails and dirt roads would really bum me out. And would I need bigger than a stock tank? cant imagine I've got longer than a 50 mile range, but never calculated.

thanks for the info so far.

Speedo, horn and turn signals not needed. As long as you have a plate, headlight and taillight your good to go.
Soundchecks are possible, has to be less than 96db. Most of the trails are 2nd and 3rd gears. There is some 1st gear stuff thrown in, but not much. Most of it is "singletrak" trails. They put in a gas stop around 40-50 miles, so you'll be fine on the gas.

Back