Fiberglass gas tank question

MX955

PitRacer Pro
I figured I post this here because of all the experience you guys have in repairing/fixing old bikes...

I have a 1977 Yamaha XS650 that I turned into a Street Tracker about 10yrs ago and I am having problems with the gel coating that was installed inside the tank pealing off. Can this be re-coated and what have you used that will hold up and last longer?

Also on this tank the petcocks that were installed do not have a reserve setting on them, they are just on all the time. I would like to have 1/4" NPT inserts installed so I could put petcocks with a reserve on them (yes,I have ran out of fuel a couple of times!). Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

IMG_2561_zpsrkgejhj0.jpg20150707_140349_zpsi5xg7lah.jpg 20150707_155239_zpsqwbvj7kc.jpg 20150707_155315_zpsbtywn828.jpg

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
Use acetone to clean up the inside. DON'T leave it sit in there!! Slosh it around for a while then dump it. Use gel coat resin after the acetone dries off and you will be good to go.

I had an all 'glass road race kit on a bike that race gas softened up the resin inside and this worked out well and saved the tank from sure destruction.....

Drain the tank of whatever you run in it if it is going to sit dormant for more than 2 weeks!

Oldnslo

Noob
What he said above. Great advice and the correct approach IMHO....draining the tank in between long sits is key to keeping these tanks in good nic...