Shock rebuild

Cody Wolford

PR Member
I have a 2005 trx 450r. The front shocks are stock with gt Thunder upgrade. We are looking to change the oil ourself. I'm seeing different weights in oil. How does the different weight effect it. I'm looking at buying Belray Shock oil. They sell several different weights. Also maybe doing my rear shock we haven't decided yet.

Any advice/words on what and how the weight effects my suspension. I'm about 230lb rider.
Thanks

Wolford Racing 248
Cody's Mowing Service, Joe's Tire, Lashley Tractor sales, FCR Supension (of Wheeling West Virginia), Fly Racing, Oury Grips USA, Rocky Mountain ATV MC, Meyers Coatings

I can't speak a whole lot about dampeners and quads but, basically the same as two wheeler. A shock/dampener function is to dissipate linear energy into heat. It does this by forcing oil through small ports. The heavier weight oil you use the more difficulty the oil has moving through the ports. Basically the shock shaft will move slower in both directions the more you go up in weight of oil.

Don't get too alarmed, just look in a service manual and use the recommended viscosity until you are ready to test a different viscosity. Most likely it will be a 3wt or 5wt and you probably would not be able to tell the difference between the two in most riding situations and being a normal human being.

Alright thanks guys!
Appreciate it

Wolford Racing 248
Cody's Mowing Service,Joe's Tire,Lashey Tractor Sales, Meyer Coatings, Fly Racing, OURY grips USA, FCR Suspension (Wheeling,WV)
Rocky Mountain Atv Mc and M&M Graphics

Back