KX 85 Big Wheel Laced On Small Wheel Hubs

Hey all, my first post to P.R. Just wanted to get some thoughts...

After careful research I learned the KX85 hubs are the same as the KX100 hubs in both Big Wheel and Small Wheel. The only difference is Rim Size and Spokes of course. Since I had a spare set of 85 rims and I wanted a custom painted hub anyway, I decided it would be cost effective and fun to remove the old rims from the 85 hubs, send the hubs in for a nice Lime Green paint job while the new Big Wheel (16" Rear, 19" Front) Rims and Spokes were on order. I plan to reassemble tonight. The new Big Wheel spokes fit perfectly into the old Small Wheel hubs, no drilling needed...

I've measured "Eyeballed" 2wice, Measured 4 times, and asked around some as well. My eyes say it will work without purchasing the longer Big Wheel Swing Arm. My tape measure says it will work also. BUT, I get different answers from different people about the need to install the KX100 (Big Wheel) swing arm?

Is there a reason why this won't work with the existing swing arm if the rear wheel fits without hitting the swing arm cross support?

Thank in advance!

Last edited:
Kx100 swingarm is longer
- The dog bones are the same
- The triangle piece of the suspension is different. Its longer on one dimension. The distance from where the shock bolts to where the dog bone bolts.
- The shock is the same length.
- Kx100 chain is longer
- KX100 gearing is different.

I laced it up and mounted it on the KX85....F.L.F.! (Fits like factory!)

Maybe there is an 85 model that the swing certainly needs changed to accommodate the big wheel? Looks and fit perfect on this bike. Will post pics soon....

Thanks for the reply 663dad. I was afraid I'd have to replace all that you mentioned also.

I dunno. The swingarm and linkage part can't be more than $100 bucks on Ebay. I'd just do it right in all honesty. Also-- you probably don't know this, but the KX100 frame is slightly longer near the head tube in front of the tank. --L*64

I dunno. The swingarm and linkage part can't be more than $100 bucks on Ebay. I'd just do it right in all honesty. Also-- you probably don't know this, but the KX100 frame is slightly longer near the head tube in front of the tank. --L*64
Yes i forgot to add the rake where the triple clamps mount

12916316_10208687049912141_6382896487786054585_o.jpg

This is the final result. Runs like a mean green machine. The boy says it handles and feels the best ever...hopefully nothing changes.

I assume part of the reason for the longer swing arm would be for proper fit of the tire in the rear fender space. On a bottom out situation will the rear tire damage the air box or rear fender?

Thanks for the reply @adam63 I went home and checked that possible issue also. No problems there. I'm thinking maybe this bike came with the big wheel option just not the big wheels? lol Everything is fitting perfectly....Will update if any issues come up.

Back