Sauna at Home

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
Just wondered if anybody on here does sauna's? I had the kids play house that I built, they out grew and it was just sitting there. I got the idea from my brother and turned it into a sauna. It started out as a 8x8 foot building. But I just finished putting an 8x8 addition on. The new room is the dressing/cool off room. I really enjoy sauna's especially in the cold winter days. It feels so good to work up a good sweat and it's supposed to have many health benefits. It also feels so good on the muscles after a hard day of activities including work, riding, or workout. They say Finnish people started them way back and they have more sauna's than cars in Finland. If anyone is interested I can put some pictures up. I'm a carpenter so it also gave me a place to show my skills. Since it's a hobby I am trying to build it out of used or free material. I've brought pallets, used wood, free wood what ever I can find. Sure I could go to the lumber yard and buy new material but anybody can do that. Plus the wife can't complain about the amount of money I put into it. She enjoys it as well. Your favorite cold beverage, music and heat and you have a very relaxing time. I see on line they have mobile sauna's and will bring them to your house or party. I just do them at home. Nothing like going outside in the bitter cold when you are covered in sweat. Makes me feel invincible.

a807539047cbc13e0b25d6cffececae3.jpg

How can you not dig the Sauna?

Funny....a female friend of mine just posted on FB last night about Saunas. She was at the gym and gets in the sauna. Another lady is in there totally nude.....sitting across from her legs spread apart showing all her glory to her as she tries to have a conversation with her, lol. My friend said she really needed to close those legs up, lol!

She was probably European. They seem be more open about nudity. When my kids were young and taking swimming lessons at Oberlin College they would sit in the sauna after swimming. The college girls always came in nude. My wife said it was ok until my son would start staring.

Funny....a female friend of mine just posted on FB last night about Saunas. She was at the gym and gets in the sauna. Another lady is in there totally nude.....sitting across from her legs spread apart showing all her glory to her as she tries to have a conversation with her, lol. My friend said she really needed to close those legs up, lol!
sounds a lot like the old guys in the gym locker rooms... lol

Hey, it's sauna season for me. My brother does them year round but I do most of mine when it is cold out. I bought a new stove for mine and it's so nice. Safer than my old stove and easier to control the temps inside. I put electric inside so did away with the lanterns. New stove has glass door so it's cool to turn off the lights and just watch the fire burn. Very relaxing. I also had access to sand stones pieces. I have hauled over 150 pieces home and made a stone walk way out to the sauna. A work in progress and a good work out. Any of my friends want to try it give me a call. Dudes have to wear at least a towel. Chicks, what ever they want.

We have almost always had a hot tub, but now we don't. I'm interested in seeing how you built this, and what is required. I used to be a carpenter way back when, and also have access to used lumber. Could you post a couple of pictures?

Yea thanks. I was hoping to get some kind of comment good or bad, maybe some don't get it. I did it all my self out of 90 percent used lumber. A lot of pallets, shipping crates and used lumber from jobs. Even metal studs left over. I think it's fun trying to reuse things. The stove is a new addition and cost more than anything but wanted to be safe. The stone work was my first. I found a wall built from sand stone that was falling over and was probably going to get pushed over the hill. So I feel I saved it as well. We really enjoy it. It's a work in progress. I already cut the benches back because they were too close to the new stove. I give my brother the credit for making me want my own sauna. I used to have to drive to his house and back home. His is very rustic compared to mine but still as functional and fun. Google home made saunas and some really cool ones come up. Thanks for the comment.

Back