Mountain Bike Recommendations

OSU85

PR Member
Wondering if there's any mountain biker moto guys here and what you recommend. Just took a non mountain bike out to a 6 mile trail loop and had a lot of fun, but think for sure I need some front suspension at least. I am wanting to get an idea for how cheap I can go and have the bike hold up while having fun still.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I prefer full suspension because it's easier on my back but you would be fine with a hardtail in Ohio. Don't buy a cheap bike!! I would go with a bike with 27.5 wheels. I've ridden one and they're awesome. Look for a lightly used bike. They're out there for a good price if you take the time to look. Figure to spend 1200-1500 minimum for a good new bike. That's my opinion anyway. Get on the Ohio mountain bike association site. There's usually good bikes for sale on there.

Marlin7 lock out suspension when not needed and lock in when needed. We bought a pair of Treks for both road/offroad and love them. The hydraulic brakes are awesome as well.

IMG_0029.jpg
I have a Scott Genius 930 and my wife has a Scott Spark 700. Both are full suspension. I didn't have anything going on last Sunday so I tried a 3 hour endurance race. I made 2 laps, 16 miles in 3:21. It was fun. There were a lot of hills, rocks, roots, and a creek crossing. I would do another one but I won't go out of my way to find one.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Would 27.5 wheels good for a someone on the shorter end of tall(6'2/3")?

Those bikes look pretty nice and really like the idea of doing a race to be honest, so that's awesome MX099. The whole time I was riding I was thinking I just want to race some people lol. Kind of disappointed I didn't see the Marlin with on/off suspension. That sounds to be just what I am looking for. Really cool

27.5 wheels will be fine. Any higher end bike with air forks and/or rear shock will have the lock out option. The newer fox rear shocks also have an option called pro pedal which dampens the shock to compensate for the bounce you make while pedaling. I've ridden in Ohio and Michigan and I never locked my suspension out. Never had a reason to. I would go to a quality bike shop and have them go over bike sizes and fitting with you. Having the right size bike makes all the difference.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Would 27.5 wheels good for a someone on the shorter end of tall(6'2/3")?

Those bikes look pretty nice and really like the idea of doing a race to be honest, so that's awesome MX099. The whole time I was riding I was thinking I just want to race some people lol. Kind of disappointed I didn't see the Marlin with on/off suspension. That sounds to be just what I am looking for. Really cool

The suspension on both of the Scott's has a lock out switch on the handlebars.
I like the 29" wheels. My wife has 27.5"

I have a 2006 specialized epic comp that might be right up your alley. It's a full suspension cross country style mtb.

I'M 5'9 have the 29.5 inch wheels with a 17.5" bike. for 6'2 just by all the research we had to do your going to want a 17.5-19" bike.

Back