New Toy Hauler

TPMX #8

PR Addict
IMG_0469.JPG
Just purchased a new toy hauler and need some ideas how you guys tie down your stuff in them
Dirtbikes and quads no big deal,what I need is some ideas how to tie down a couple Harleys
Mainly will only be taking the Fatboy and wifes Sportster,once and awhile the Electro Glide
but really on concerned about those two right now
Some say not to pull on the handle bars for obvious reasons,others say they do with no problems
Most of what I have read or watched videos say a wheel chock and tie them down at the fender brackets work fine
Another thought is a system called Biker Bar that fits Harleys and uses no straps
Ride the bike into the base unit and it locks the bike in.
Only issue for me is bolting anything to the floor.
The enclosed underbelly and fueling system make it a little tough to get to the underside
Need to get something setup in the next week or so
Not sure how I want to tackle this so need some ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
No help here either, but nice lookin rig! Post up some more photos and specs. I'll be looking for a toyhauler at the end of the year so I like hearing about what you got n why you bought it.

Nice Rig TPMX!!!

Why no pull on the Harley bars? .. Never heard that before..
I strap mine down like a dirt bike.

I strap my street bike down around the lower triple clamps, with lots of microfiber towels for cushion, as to not hurt my chrome. Most street bike handlebars are not nearly as strong as our dirt bike handlebars. They flex a lot and can bend pretty easily.

I've seen a lot of people swear by these, but my front fender comes down too low for me to use. http://condor-lift.com/trailer-only-chock

Harbor Freight also has one with a very similar design. I bought the HF one, and just eliminated the bottom part that holds your bike in place.

Are you guys pulling my chain here???
I just looked around the net a bit .....everyone is coming up with all kinds of crazy ideas to tie down these things.

I have a hard time grasping this ....the bars are too "thin" to handle the weight of the bike? What am I missing?

Ive read guys claim blowing fork seals from pulling down on the bars
Others swear that this is best,
You tube has lots of ways I guess you just pick the way you feel is best
For sure going with a wheel chock,probable going to strap at the fender mounts on the lower fork tube.
I didn't like this idea at first because it just doesn't seem like it would hold well that low on the bike
I really like the Biker Bar setup but its to hard to get at the underbelly to put the anchor in for them
My neighbor hauls his big Kawasaki to Florida each year tied by the lower fork tubes and has never had an issue holding this way

I haul multiple Harleys a few times a year. Harley makes chrome or black hooks that mount on the same bracket that the turn signals mount too. I will take some photos of mine tomorrow. They are the BEST $65 you will ever spend if your hauling heavy Harleys. The other item that is the best investment ever are really good quality ratchet tie downs. Don't go cheap. I got a couple sets at a rally for like $100 in a bag. Great investment. I just pull the front down in a regular Pingle wheel chock. Then I usually take two straps pulling both ways in the back around the rear wheel to keep them from moving.

John,I seen those brackets on Harleys website you are talking about.
Really am considering those for both bikes we will be hauling
I know what you mean about tie downs,figuring on ratchet style over cam type with closed safety type hooks.have read about open style hooks coming off,Only issuenow would be a wheel chock I dont have to bolt to floor,Thanks John

I use a chock and ratchets, but just go around the bars with the soft side. Never thought they couldn't handle the load.
So what is the difference between the forks going through full stroke because I hit a bump at 75mph and me compressing them slowly in the trailer?
The force at the bars would be the same...no?

Actually, on the road it would be more because I would be bracing my pansy 155 lb against them as well.

Blowing fork seals because of tie downs???......now that's just fake news....

I tie around my lower triple trees and my lower forks where the fender mounts as well. I use 6 tie downs when hauling my street bike to Maggie Valley NC every year or Florida.

A long time ago, I tied around my bars, and just noticed way too much flex for my comfort, especially traveling down 77 south through WV. Maybe the bars will hold, but I'm not taking that chance when I have two other more solid points to tie off too.

I ordered some wheel chocks and ratchet type tie downs.Going to tie down to lower fork tubes with one set to take most of the load and another set up to the bars but not pulled as tight just for a safety set.I have an idea how I am going to secure the chocks from moving without bolting them to the floor.Will post some pics when I get setup.MX099,I like the L-Tracks also but my toy hauler doesnt have the garage separate so I dont want to have them under the carpet to walk on.Some time maybe we can start another thread about toyhaulers,seems you cant find one with everything just as you want it,we look at ALOT of them

If you did not order Pingle removable chocks, you might want to ship back what you ordered and get pingles. Pingles have a really low profile mounting hardware to the floor on their removable chocks. Mount them to the floor, and there is a wing nut in the middle. Unscrew the wing nut and the chock slides right out so they are not in the living quarters of the floor. If you had a throw rug you would not even notice the mounting hardware on the floor. Pingle makes three different wheel width chocks also. I use the same ones for dirt bikes and Harleys.

Here is a link to one of the brands straps I have. Always had great luck. They never loosen up with Harleys. https://loadall.com/products/loadall-brand-tie-downs-2-pack

Pingle removable chocks.

wheel chock.jpg

I use like a 4 inch by 4 inch square metal plate on the under side of my trailer when mounting any D rings, or mounting hardware. Better to be safe than sorry. And I would not use anything less than 5000lb D rings for Harleys. I learned the hard way one time when a cheap D ring pulled out the side.

Last edited:
The d-rings are already mounded in the camper,I do have the same wheel chocks in my enclosed trailer and they do
work fine.
Problem is I don't want to drill any holes in the floor to mount anything
I did but good ratchet tie downs,I don't mind spending money to get good stuff,I don't go cheap on things,it will only
cost you money in the long run
I have an idea on holding the chocks in place and that was my only concern
Thanks for the ideas

MAtrix concepts heavy duty tie downs work great on street bikes.

I always tie in between top and lower triple clamp on each fork. And each side of the swingarm. I'll use 4 tie downs. That was for my victory king Pin.

Back