An Informal Look at AMA C Class (lengthy post)

I was at High Point racing with a friend, he was in the 250c class. I was in the mechanic area and the first lap the leader did the big quad at the back of the track. I commented to the guy next to me that I thought this was C class! He said... my kid is in second place... :rolleyes:

There's a difference between Local C riders and the C riders that qualify for LL regionals and finish within the top 20.

Those regional C riders have zero chance at qualifying out of an Area qualifier in the B class. It'd be legitimate to say, 'well get faster so you can compete'...the problem is there'd be a gluttony of riders who'd have to pick up the pace; so many that another class could be created...hmm...

...enter C class...

The C class carves out a niche for riders who aren't at that 'elite' level necessary to qualify. In C, they find riders at a similar pace who they can compete against.

I don't see the harm in that.

So in the 250c limited class riders at Ironman ( The "novice" class ... see definition above )

http://llr2.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=&c=225&e=3&rn=2&rt=M

the top 17- 20 or so had lap times to place 2nd in the 40 plus class.

http://llr2.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=&c=233&e=3&rn=2&rt=M

You can say all day long that these C class riders are ok but there is no logical reason to let a beginning racer stay in a " novice " with those lap times. It's a joke. So the local C rider can't compete with LL C class riders? Where do you think they came from? They are local riders who don't race C class on purpose so they can qualify for LL. It's cheating without cheating. Cherry pickers have created a class where everyone is one and now it's the norm.

Is it time to combine the B and C class and make a beginner's class again? Would never happen, but seems logical at this point.
It would be a modern reset button for the "skill inflation" of the sport.

From an economical standpoint. Things gets more expensive and better over time, so it seems logical to adjust for inflation....right?

Problem is, no one wants to go B, so everyone is in c class. The appeals process is extremely flawed. Someone just moving to B is not going to be fast enough to win. But looking at Hersheys lap times posted, they should not be back in a C class.

When I was C, I never even considered the RPV or whatever it was back then. I just raced. Qualified 3rd in 250c stock and mod. Broke my wrist 10 days before lorettas and still went. Because I qualified and went, automatic to the B class. Hindsight being 20 20, should have with drawn and went back the next year, but we never even considered that. Man has the class changed.

I agree that there really isn't a place for the 21 year old guy who just got a good job and thinks that supercross on tv looks cool so he wants to go to buy a new 250F and start racing.

The skill level of the C riders and B riders has become blurred and a true beginner is a complete hazard on the track in any class.

I'm also not for creating new classes though....unless we restructure the classes that exist. Let the pros race for money...let the guys who have been ama members for two years or less ride "beginner" and everyone else rides B.

Restructure things to get the gates full again. Who knows, they might even have more fun racing 30-40 other riders.

MX Sports, are you out there?

C class threads are always entertaining, but I think most of us can agree that it seems to have gotten out of control. There is no beginners class (except maybe that D class that some "offer"). And that has to be one of the big reasons why the sport is hurting. So let's blame the C class sandbaggers for killing our sport. Who's with me? Come on guys!

Lmao.....there is a difference between coming in last place and being in the way, getting lapped 2 times and landed on off 100' step up triples all in the "Novice " class that is for beginner riders.

I NEVER said it had anything to do with wanting to win or get a trophy. Since you are new here I guess you wouldn't know I'm one who advocates the reduction of classes.

Thats my point...don't race until you are ready. There are too many parents out there that thinks since the training wheel came off its time to go racing. I know we are talking about the C class but the same rule applies. I think if you make the C class less appealing then you might have something. A lot of tracks make rules where a C rider can't triple. Maybe make it where a C rider can't double.

Last night we went to the Pickaway County Faircross for a little mid-week fun and there were 28 riders in the C class, 6 in 250B and 1 in 250A. There wasn't any challenging jumps and a 50jr could do all the jumps but you make a rule where two or three jumps are off limits for C riders and I bet that dynamic changes. I don't know what the right answer is but there is definitely issues with how the advancement system works.

FYI, I am very familiar with who you are and all of your advocacies.;) I've been a PitRacer member since 2008. I recently started a new account since my old account was merged with the Chillitown account back when the website/server was changed.

Okay just going to lay it out for you guys why not think about moving guys to the A class then there would be room in the B class for the C riders to move up to the B class.the A class has not got. very many riders usually and it should.I think it could be worth watching and could draw a crowd =money for the promoter then there would be room for new racers in the c class.

Last edited:
C riders need to be able to learn to jump doubles, etc. Don't believe that anyone believes all doubles should be singles for them. But perhaps some of the bigger jumps be off limits. CTMX old triple was quite a leap. High Speed at that also. No way in hell a C rider should have been hitting that jump in my opinion, but the fast ones all did. That would definitely intimidate someone newer to the sport to think, what the heck, there is no way I can make that jump.

As for riders in B advancing. They go by RPV also. You just don't hear the stories of people appealing to stay in B class. Most of the fast B riders want to be in the A class making some money.

Take ALL contingency away from C class. Put parameters on what people can jump and cant, and I bet guys start moving to B class, because it is not cool to double a triple that you can triple.

Last week:
Open A 23
Open B 5
Open C 20
Open D 1

250 B 14
250 C 34

The numbers been the same. Back in 03-05 b class had 12-17. (17 was a series race at d12 or a regular race at OIR otherwise it was 9 or less) C full gate. Sometimes qualifiers. A 2-5.

Kids that rode c class like that in 03-05 I don't even see at the track anymore. Only people I see in my age classes were B and A riders 15 years ago. Maybe a few C. Go to a qualifier and all I see are people that I used to race supermini with. Which is cool. All that's changed is we are older. Most time same dad or mom still packing the gate for them too. Pretty awesome to strike up a "holy cow I haven't seen you in 15 years" conversation!

It's like c class for the majority is a short hero class in the sport where when they're done they abandon the sport and go buy a boat or a car. Never see em again.

The difference is back when I rode C class there were only one or two people that were B class speed. People wanted to move to B class with pride. I knew more than a few riders who moved up to B class mid season. In the mid 90's the B class had 15- 20 on the gate at most CRA races.

Back