Action Sports Grand Prix June 10th

ActionSports

PR Addict
The next Action Sports Grand Prix will take place this Saturday June 10th at the Action Sports Moto Park in Athens, Ohio. Go to the Grand Prix page at www.ActionSportsRacing.com for all the information including classes, times and more. Our gate fee is still $10 racing is $30 for the first class, $20 for the 2nd class and all youth classes are $20.

We have had a bad run of luck with the weather the past year but we are determined to make this race happen and turn things around. Our last event here was in April 2016. We had nearly 300 riders, our largest GP ever. If we continue to have good attendance we will continue running Grand Prix events and the Team Harescramble Championship of the World here, and keep our gate and sign up fees the same, if not we will close the track. We have added a new section to the track which should be a lot of fun.

All youth riders will receive a Fly Racing Hat, Wallet or other item at sign up. Top placing riders can choose from a plaque, Action Sports T-shirt or Action Sports embroidered hat.

If this weekends GP is successful and we keep the track open we will hold an open motocross practice Wednesday June 14th from Noon to 6:pM. The track will be prepped and watered as needed all day. Future practices will be determined on a week to week basis, depending on rider attendance.

Our insurance company requires us to have insurance for each practice and 2 EMT's on site. This is expensive so we must have average of at least 60 riders at each practice to continue. The cost to ride will be $30. The Gate opens at 11:00 AM. Feel free to arrive early and be ready when the EMT's arrive and make a day of it..
PLEASE LIKE, SHARE AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Thank you,
Action Sports Promotions

I feared this beings there weren't any thread responses or follow up commentary.
Probably didn't help it being on the same weekend as the Camp Cattail-AHRMA regional and Chillitown qualifier.

I've said this before, and hope that I'm wrong, but I've long felt that his track location doesn't help matters any. He's really out in the middle of nowhere for the directions most racers are coming from I think.

My family and I always enjoy his Grand Prix course and races. And they do a good job with it usually.
Drew has to be a little frustrated by now.

I feared this beings there weren't any thread responses or follow up commentary.
Probably didn't help it being on the same weekend as the Camp Cattail-AHRMA regional and Chillitown qualifier.

I've said this before, and hope that I'm wrong, but I've long felt that his track location doesn't help matters any. He's really out in the middle of nowhere for the directions most racers are coming from I think.

My family and I always enjoy his Grand Prix course and races. And they do a good job with it usually.

Was also the same weekend as a GNCC, if we wouldn't have been in NY for that we would have been at Action Sports.

Track location doesn't matter, they are 15-20mins from Fast Traxx and maybe 30 or so from COCR. HE literally cancels all the time. Their MX track with that layout could be a top track in Ohio.

I don't understand what happened but Drew was the man in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's when it came to promoting and running races.

Another thing that baffles me is all 3 track are within 30 minutes of each other
(Fast Traxx,Action,COCR) and all run MX/GP races and they don't have a series together.

Their MX track with that layout could be a top track in Ohio.

I don't get to visit a lot of tracks, but one of my absolute favorite vintage races to date was the AHRMA event held at Action Sports. I can't recall who it was that I was chasing at the time, but Drew had the big hill open as part of the track layout. It was so much fun jumping down the hill, sweeping the bottom, hitting the uphill double, (which Vlk943 later wadded it up on and got hurt), turn at the top, back down the hill again, and then dropping two gears and going wide open back up the main hill again. So many elevation variations, really spices up the fun factor.

I also recall a fun Vintage race with Cutty22 on his Penton, and some intense PV racing against beenridin.

On the cancellation issue, I have to say that I am a little more understanding on that. We've raced there numerous times after rains during the week. When that track gets wet, it's really tough to get around on. Especially the GP course. And as you know, many folks don't care for mud races and will stay home instead. Like most track owners know, low turnouts suck. And we've raced there several times with low turnouts and it's very disappointing.

Last edited:
Jeffro, inside line to pass, up the hill, 3:00 session, last Saturday.

IMG_0180_1.jpg

Looks like the guy that wanted to trade his 250sx for my 350... wish I wasn't a girl and could handle a 250sx that thing looks like it rips!

He finally has it dailed in with the hit that he likes. So not sure if he's still thinking 350 but he was talking 450 too? I need to ride his bike now. It's 125 feel light and if the motor is like he likes it, it should be fun!

He finally has it dailed in with the hit that he likes. So not sure if he's still thinking 350 but he was talking 450 too? I need to ride his bike now. It's 125 feel light and if the motor is like he likes it, it should be fun!

I can't get comftable on the 350, tons of power but I'm gripping it like crazy, mental block I think. 2 laps and I can't feel my arms.. hopped on a 150sx and rode 6 laps only got off cause I was 3 laps over my 3 lap limit on a demo bike lol. 350 is for sale.

I can't get comftable on the 350, tons of power but I'm gripping it like crazy, mental block I think. 2 laps and I can't feel my arms.. hopped on a 150sx and rode 6 laps only got off cause I was 3 laps over my 3 lap limit on a demo bike lol. 350 is for sale.

I'm really old and can go equally slow on any size or type of bike. I had 520's and a 525 years ago. I enjoyed them but I got cross rutted on a downhill on the 525 once when mass took over and I was along for a bad ride. But the new KTM and Husky big bikes don't carry that extra weight. And power can be handled with the right wrist. The times I've had trouble with my arms either bar position or front suspension setup was the problem. Might want to spend some time on those before totally giving up on the 350? And back off on the throttle bit too?

I'm really old and can go equally slow on any size or type of bike. I had 520's and a 525 years ago. I enjoyed them but I got cross rutted on a downhill on the 525 once when mass took over and I was along for a bad ride. But the new KTM and Husky big bikes don't carry that extra weight. And power can be handled with the right wrist. The times I've had trouble with my arms either bar position or front suspension setup was the problem. Might want to spend some time on those before totally giving up on the 350? And back off on the throttle bit too?

All valid points k01! I've changed suspension settings, harder/softer.. jacked off that air pump up and down more times then I have myself in the past 14 years, changed bar position, changed bends... I think the mental block is the first ride it sent me to the ER. I'm holding on for dear life cause I'm just soft lol. I'd say it's more of a mental issue then anything else. I feel I'm just a better rider on smaller displacement engines, never liked the bigger bikes. I'm slow, I'd say C rider but that doesn't mean much these days haha!

The pic's are almost too much to look at. Our ball team boys have peaked and making little progress now and my coaching frustration is surfacing. Time spent racing GP's and moto would be more satisfying at this point.

Even though I'm 51 years young now, I still have that constant nagging urge for to compete.

Looks like you had decent track conditions.

I don't get to visit a lot of tracks, but one of my absolute favorite vintage races to date was the AHRMA event held at Action Sports. I can't recall who it was that I was chasing at the time, but Drew had the big hill open as part of the track layout. It was so much fun jumping down the hill, sweeping the bottom, hitting the uphill double, (which Vlk943 later wadded it up on and got hurt), turn at the top, back down the hill again, and then dropping two gears and going wide open back up the main hill again. So many elevation variations, really spices up the fun factor.

I also recall a fun Vintage race with Cutty22 on his Penton, and some intense PV racing against beenridin.

On the cancellation issue, I have to say that I am a little more understanding on that. We've raced there numerous times after rains during the week. When that track gets wet, it's really tough to get around on. Especially the GP course. And as you know, many folks don't care for mud races and will stay home instead. Like most track owners know, low turnouts suck. And we've raced there several times with low turnouts and it's very disappointing.
That would be me!!!

Action Sports has entered the realm of self-fulfilling prophecy now. They cancel, move, change the races so much that I simply cannot plan to go to any of their events anymore. Had a lot of fun racing the GP's there.

Action Sports has entered the realm of self-fulfilling prophecy now.

Hear, hear! And I really hate to say that. I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy racing there. Yes, that was past tense but I hope that's not truely the case. Many of us just want to race there again!

Back