HiPoint-Thanks moto friends

handracing

PR Founding Father
So the plan for the weekend for us was to watch HiPoint at home being gone the past two weekends at Regionals and then to head to Briarcliff on sunday for pro am points. We all know how quickly things can change in the blink of an eye. We got a phone call from Hipoint that Carl was being transported to the hospital with a possible heart attack and this was right before first motos were going to be taking off. His only request was that Jeremy races since he qualified for his 450 debut. We obviously weren't going to make it in time so the Ohio Mx family stepped up to help out! A huge thank you to John Kreps and Kari, Chris Miller and all of Jeremy's friends to get him ready and to the line for his first moto! Thanks John for being mechanic and getting Jeremy to the line and off the gate (even though it malfunctioned 3 times!) I'm sure there was a lot of craziness going on down there during that time. Luckily Dave made it there in time to get Jeremy to the line for the 2nd set of motos. Considering the circumstances Jeremy rode well and finished the weekend off with a 26th for his debut in the 450 class. At one point during the 2nd moto he was sitting 15th, went down and lost some positions but still a solid finish. Carl is still in the hospital waiting for results and stress test scheduled for tomorrow.Thank you all for your concerns and thoughts they are appreciated! It really goes to show what a great MX community we have in each other!

Last edited:
Carl is in my prayers! Anything I can do just call. I'm not sure anything, but I'm serious I'll help out with anything that I can. If you're at the Cleveland clinic I'll give you my badge so you don't gotta pay to park. I pay $73 a month and I'm an employee. Etc....it gets ridiculous! Even if you need a car or something or someone picked up/ dropped off etc. hospitalizations are stressful for families. Take care of yourselves as well!

Thanks, we were very happy to help. It's like it was meant to be for us --- we saw Jeremy after practice and followed him back to their pits "just to say hi" and found Carl in the motorhome sitting on a cooler not looking too well. His wife got someone with a mule and got him over to the medical unit and I kinda started thinking I might be on the clock here....

I was able to talk to Carl in the ambulance before they took him and he had the bike almost done for the first moto, I just had to put the skid plate back on and give it a quick once over. So I finished getting that ready, Kari talked to Tim Cotter so he knew what was going on and they took me to the AMA tent to put a mechanic band on me. Then they said "hey you need a collared shirt to go to the line!" Luckily there was a spare Hand Racing mechanic shirt in the motorhome (Carl left with one on), and also lucky Carl isn't a small dude so it fit me fine.

It was kindof a whirlwind experience, we go there to hang out and watch and next thing you know I'm on the starting line prepping Jeremy's gate and handing him water and goggles! I also have a new found respect for all those mechanics, Dads, whoever out there is helping out. After moto 1 I got the bike washed, and that's right about when Chris Miller stopped over (again just to say hello) and I told him what was going on. He took his kids, stuck them inside the motor home, and came right back to help me finish the bike. I think we got it done pretty damn good! We changed the air filter, adjusted the chain, added coolant, checked all the bolts, set air pressure, lubed up a bunch of spots, etc. Then we were looking at it thinking "what else do we need to do" and I said "OMG I think we need to put gas in it!" haha Thanks for the help Chris! I'm a pretty good mechanic, but one hour between motos absolutely flew by. Next thing you know there is Jeremy coming out with his gear on.

Dave and Michael showed up right about when we were finishing the bike and it was a nice relief for me. It was 90 degrees and I was beat. He threw on the 'universal' Hand Racing mechanic shirt, I briefed him on all the stuff in the goodie bag, and they took off!

I think Jeremy did great. He can run in the top 20 for sure. I hope Carl is ok, I'm sure he will be. If any more help is needed don't hesitate to let me know, Kari and I are happy to help in any way we can.

Last edited:
Hopefully Carl is OK. As for Jeremy, that was a great ride. He looked to me like he rode his own race at his pace, consistently. It didn't look like he ever really fell off. That's pretty impressive on 450, against that field, and in that heat. Definitely has top 20 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Good job by everyone involved, that's what is so cool about being involved in motocross, people are willing to get involved when a fellow rider is in need! Hope Carl is ok! Excellent ride Jeremy!

So Carl was able to come home last night!! They did an Ultrasound and Stress test and didn't see anything that was glaring enough for him to stay. He will just have to follow up with Dr to keep an eye on the old ticker! Thanks again to all for your help, thoughts and concerns! Now time to get ready for REEEDDBUUDDDDD!!! See you there! The Hand Family

So Carl was able to come home last night!! They did an Ultrasound and Stress test and didn't see anything that was glaring enough for him to stay. He will just have to follow up with Dr to keep an eye on the old ticker! Thanks again to all for your help, thoughts and concerns! Now time to get ready for REEEDDBUUDDDDD!!! See you there! The Hand Family
Most excellent - !
RedBUUUUUUUUUD!

Something kinda funny I wanted to add.

So I'm running the pit board in the first moto under the mechanics tent area (somehow I happened to pick a spot about 3 feet away from Georgia Lindsay....not sure how that happened, lol).....anyway, this dude next to me is pitting for some privateer on a KTM.

So one lap "his" racer is coming, he's got the board out, waving a towel, yelling GO GO GO! and then as the rider comes by he goes "oh s**t that wasn't him...."

I look at him and we both laughed.

Something kinda funny I wanted to add.

So one lap "his" racer is coming, he's got the board out, waving a towel, yelling GO GO GO! and then as the rider comes by he goes "oh s**t that wasn't him...."

I look at him and we both laughed.
I can relate, I don't know how many photos I took of Michael (Hand), then realizing it wasn't Jayce...use a larger "/" next time, please.
bruce

Back