Hat's off to and Big Thank You to the

NQ1965

PR Elite
Big Thank You to the AMA and the Log Road crew.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days was a blast this year.
There were numerous improvements and all those that worked and pulled it together deserve a lot of credit.

Couldn't get the smile off my dirt covered face the whole way home.

Last edited:
Heck yeah it was also the biggest I think I have ever seen. Aside from EZUP Armageddon at I think 0715 on Friday morning it was a great time - that was nuts. The bike had issues so the race was kind of a bust but I'm not complaining. The track was the best I have ridden there. Great job to all involved!

Ben liked the track, he said it was a lot of fun. He raced the whole second moto with only one peg. The damn E-clip somehow came off and he knocked the peg off at the gate. We found it just behind his gate. Anyway, I agree, it was a helluva good time. The campground seemed to be packed, looked like attendance was way up to me and our VMD vet neighbors. One long term VMD neighbor says it's like a family reunion, only a lot more fun.

Friday morning we lost the awning off the camper. Woke us up out of a sound sleep and we just couldn't get to it in time, ripped off like a paper towel. Oh well, it was getting a little frayed, anyway.

Last edited:
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0537.JPG

Been a long time since we have been there and our entire family had a blast..AMA..Alex, Kip, Jack, and all their crew killed it.

The racing was fun but honestly Zuma'ing around with the family and watching Mitchy enjoy himself for a day and a half in his KLX110L, watching all the events and outlaw events, and the swap meet were highlights for us..was a great break away from the national amateur motocross scene.

Mitchy did win the 125cc youth class on a YZ125 I picked up last Monday and really had no history with

Went 1-2 on Kreps 1980 RM80 and peeled his brake lever back in moto 2 on lap 2 around the peg ..making for no rear brake..still battled to hold down second behind his good friend and family we sold the 1983 CR80 to last year.

Great time..will be on the calendar for future years

Attachments

• IMG_0541.PNG
    IMG_0541.PNG
    865.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0544.PNG
    IMG_0544.PNG
    602 KB · Views: 278
Heck yeah it was also the biggest I think I have ever seen. Aside from EZUP Armageddon at I think 0715 on Friday morning it was a great time - that was nuts. The bike had issues so the race was kind of a bust but I'm not complaining. The track was the best I have ridden there. Great job to all involved!

This year seemed a bit unique from any of the past few years. Every person we spoke with had stories to tell and things to see.
At 7am Friday morning, Nancy and I pulled off into the church parking lot across from the track waiting the storm out. And once we gained back some visibility from the blinding rain hitting the truck, all we seen was canopy carnage and motorcycles knocked over everywhere. It was like: Wow... this isn't good.

We knew the Hare Scramble was going to be a mess, so I just decided to ride safe and make good decisions. Was doing really well considering the conditions but my KDX quit running while on my third lap. The leaders only finished with 4 laps so I felt pretty good about that. I really liked the check point relocation for the Hare Scramble course. Hope they do that again next year.

Saturday and Sunday's motocross racing was off the hook fun!
Loved the track changes and really hope we see more of this down the road. Having no PA system sucked, but one small thing they did that was a huge help was hanging a paper at the staging area to tell you what race was on the track at that moment. So simple, but such a big help.

Prior to Friday, I hadn't been on a starting line since October 2016, (actually I hadn't been on a dirt bike since then), but it seemed to me like we had a lot of racers who were very good in all of my moto's. I'm thinking we had 13 to 16 racers in my Vintage class's, and 16 and 18 racers in my Ev3 class's. And we had full gates combined. Nancy commented that she thinks I actually had some of my best races this weekend as far as battling the front of the pack and staying tight lap after lap.

Some honorable mentions were MW850 hammering as usual on his Maico's and leading his races. It's always a pleasure watching Vet261 race, flawlessly smooth and fast as always. Keri got to race her fist race, we missed it but enjoyed getting the recap from her afterward. I got to line up against Mooch and Beenridin, as always have a blast racing with them, especially the starts.
Most significantly was my battles Sunday with MisstheFlip (Nick Devito) and his fast KX's. We swapped positions several times, while chasing other riders in front of us. Made me feel particularly good that I was able to hang to be honest with you as he is a very good rider. He always races clean, makes good decisions and keeps you on your toes.

We didn't get any swap meet time on Friday, and only about two hours on Saturday, which is nowhere near enough. And didn't get to see any of the other sites or just walking around. That sucked.

As usual, our number one, biggest complaint: We just did not get time to just talk and visit with everybody there that we knew. Socializing, bench racing and visiting is our favorite activity of the weekend.

Great Weekend.
Have the 2018 dates been announced yet ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMG_2713.JPG
Ben went 1-2 and won overall in Vintage open B/C. He went down in the second moto and started last.

Bummed I missed you this year, Mike.

Oh, and I sold that nasty, ugly, ratty but reliable, pit bike I've ridden there for years to an entertaining Englishman that's going to export it to the U.K. He says he comes over and buys "s**t like that" He had a truck full of roaches and parts.

Last edited:
I was really hoping to getting around to find you this weekend. We just flat ran out of time. It's tough when you drive home each night. And then up at 5am next morning to do it again. If there is anything that we (Nancy and I) need to change it's that. Camping at Vintage Days is definitely the way to do it.

Your bike is such a war horse. I love it when a relatively unknown racer can go out on an unpolished beater bike and win.
===============
Speaking of "Homage to the Yamaha MX's", ..... I pulled off my first Vintage days holeshot on my MX250 Saturday afternoon in the 2nd moto of my 250B/C race.

It's a stupid story but kinda funny. In my 3rd race, (moto 2) 50+B, I had drank too much water on the break between races. While in staging it hit me,... ooooh, I gotta pee. Not wanting to miss my gate pick I held it, but was hurting big time. I raced my butt off and actually improved on my moto 1 finish :D, but was really just racing to get to the checker and to a porta-pot. Wow.. I don't want to go through that again!

So anyway, my races were #7 and #11.
After the "had to pee" race, I recovered back at the truck, thought I better hit the porta again before I go to staging, so I did. Afterward I head to staging area and the AMA guy tells me I'm supposed to be on the gate, and race number 10 is on the white flag...Oh s**t!
So the only gate slot open was on the far east end past the gate operator shack. I got settled in, but now I got a new problem: How can I get a good start from here when it's such a hard left turn at the hay bales??????

I told myself that I had to either get ahead of the pack, or lay back to avoid a 1st turn crash. And I had no time to think about it. I've never had a great start on my MX (Poor Tom). The bike is a heavy slug.

Me thinking:
Ok...... "I have to do this... Give it all you got"
be smooth....
hold the clutch....
more gas....
some more gas....
more more gas......
keep left foot on and be ready to kick it up to two.....
more gas......
Gate drops........ GO!

I couldn't believe it...it was working.. nobody in front of, or beside me.
Just as I got to the hay bales I had to back off and brake a little to make the turn and that's when the traffic arrived and they were at a much better approach angle than me and going fast.

I at least held it to the bales and I know there were riders far to my right, but they weren't in my peripheral view until we were making the turn. Made the turn and was in the front with some others until we got to turn two.

I was shocked with disbelief that I did it. I raced my ass off and ended up further back in my class than wanted but I was still overall at about 7th place out of maybe 17 riders on the gate I think.

After the race, I asked Nancy if she seen the start.. she says well yeaaaaa, of course I did !! I was video taping it dummy! And I happened to have my GoPro on as well. So later that night I downloaded both onto my PC at home, and sure enough it happened!

That was one of my weekend "Highlights".
The Yamaha "MX's" aren't the best or fastest vintage bikes to have on the track, but with a rider that has a lot of heart for racing, we can compete.

Last edited:
Been a long time since we have been there and our entire family had a blast..AMA..Alex, Kip, Jack, and all their crew killed it.

The racing was fun but honestly Zuma'ing around with the family and watching Mitchy enjoy himself for a day and a half in his KLX110L, watching all the events and outlaw events, and the swap meet were highlights for us..was a great break away from the national amateur motocross scene.

Mitchy did win the 125cc youth class on a YZ125 I picked up last Monday and really had no history with

Went 1-2 on Kreps 1980 RM80 and peeled his brake lever back in moto 2 on lap 2 around the peg ..making for no rear brake..still battled to hold down second behind his good friend and family we sold the 1983 CR80 to last year.

Great time..will be on the calendar for future years

Letting the kids participate now in my opinion was an A+ decision by the AMA. It's a win-win for everybody.
It broke my heart to not have my oldest grandson race the PW class, he would of loved it. Mom screwed up by scheduling a Myrtle Beach vacation. (she usually always comes with us to Vintage Days and she bought weekend pass this year).

Congrats to Mitchy and all the kids! :)

This year was absolutely legendary. The biggest crowd I've ever seen there. We arrived at 12:30pm on THURSDAY and almost the entire MX area was full. We ended up in an overflow area that turned out to be a great spot. I guess they said like 35-40,000 people were there this weekend.

It wouldn't be VMD weekend without some crazy weather. Friday morning we awoke to the highest winds I've ever been standing out in, and of course I was half naked as I came running out straight from sleeping. We all frantically tried to save all our stuff, I had one canopy casualty as I chose to save my camper awning instead. Yes everything was staked, lowered, and tied to heavy items. I heard there were 70mph winds that came through which is basically considered a minor tornado. It was crazy and really kind of scary. There was a lot of damage throughout the facility, BEENRIDIN had enough damage to his camper he is probably going to have an insurance claim.

There is so much to do there it is crazy. The people that just show up, park and race have no idea what they are missing. Honestly, the racing part is the least enjoyable to me at this point, and that's not because it's bad. I have so much fun riding around and seeing all the stuff all weekend it's sort of a letdown to have to stay put and race on Sunday! The AMA has really, really stepped everything up to level 10 on this event -- live bands, demo rides, pit bike races, poker-run (ride laps on a course and draw poker hands for prizes), Saturday night party, everything. I think there is more to do at VMD in 3 days than a week at Loretta Lynn's now.

The "unsanctioned events" that just sort of break out around the facility now are completely off the hook. It's almost getting to be its own version of the Red Bull Flugtag for motorized vehicles. The amount of times you say "I've seen it all now" is amazing.

As for the racing. Our little group only raced on Sunday. Of course everyone was waiting for the 80cc showdown of Mitchy on the dual shock RM80 vs. the bike they sold that is like a factory CR80. It did not disappoint as they were wheel to wheel for every lap of each moto with the CR80 taking the title. Then on the podium they were interviewing the winner with Mitch standing next to him in second and asked where he got the bike and he said "we bought it from Mitchy!"

The competition in the non-current classes is getting crazy. I went from winning titles at Mid Ohio to barely able to crack the top ten and in the NC +40 I think I rode the hardest I have all season.

Another racing highlight was Kari doing her first ever motocross race! She has raced a couple GP events on her trail bike but we tossed her out there in the women's class on the 1980 RM125.....and in the first moto she actually beat someone! I think there were 9 women this year which was a big increase over past events.

Kari1.jpg
Kari2.jpg

Lastly, check out this cool pair of brand new in box 1990 Oneal boots I picked up in the swap meet for 40 bucks. Dude had a whole stack of them!

OnealBoots1990.jpg

Your bike is such a war horse. I love it when a relatively unknown racer can go out on an unpolished beater bike and win.
===============

That thing's a real battle axe. We keep talking about prettying it up but I'm afraid it'd lose its character. It's violent and loud and it'll throw you down and take your lunch money if you don't keep an eye on it. I love that bike.

Last edited:
ALWAYS a great time!:D Been going to Vintage days ever since they had it at Mid O.May have missed a couple times throughout the years.Only made Sun.this year.:rolleyes::)
So much to do and see for sure!! Was checking out the road races towards the end on Sun.Big crash in the esses,turn 6.Someone dropped some oil took out 6-7 bikes.About an hr.to clean up the mess!!:eek:
Luv just zipping around on the Grom and checking things out.U guys need to get one of these.such a riot!
P3050386.JPG

GOOD TIMES!!:cool::D

I see Kawi is making something like the grom.
A bunch of us have Zuma's ....
Two dudes buzz the local where I live, see them all the time.

I heard the Grom is the bomb but the 72 TC125 is my bike for VMD. It has the 4 speed hi-low tranny, when I go into the swap meet I put it in low 1st, turn the idle up just a tad, and can ride around the whole place without the throttle or the clutch unless I need to stop or start. I have at least 20 people ask to buy it every time I have it out. I will never sell it and already have it set to go to my daughter. Both of mine learned to ride with a clutch on this thing - the low makes it ridiculously easy. As a bonus a small cooler or a 12 pack fit on the rack really well.....

TC1252.JPG

Nothing beats a Zuma as a pit bike.
You can ride it one handed since there is no clutch. It has enough storage under the seat to fit a case of beer and the storage has a drain tube. Keyed start so you can leave it and walk about and it won't grow legs. Horn to beep at the drunks that walk in front of you in the swap meet. Center stand so you aren't looking for rocks or pieces of wood to put under the kickstand in soft areas.

I brought my TW200 to VMD as an extra pit vehicle and it was fun to ride around (Mitch and I had fun riding in the woods trails, he was on his KLX) but no comparison to the ease of use of the Zuma. I had a lot of fun riding the TW in the wood, the big fat tires floated over all the mud, rocks, and roots. Zman took it back there later and said he was freaked out with the fat tires but I'm more used to it.

Sounds like Bill has a great setup on his TC as well. Groms are super cool bikes too, just can't match a Zuma for practical pit bike use.

Last edited:
You were riding well, Mike! That Yammy was cooking. Despite Friday weather, a very muddy NC hare scramble, blowing up my '93 125, and making a stupid move in the EVO3 class, my weekend was a blast. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Thanks again to the AMA for all the hard work!

This year seemed a bit unique from any of the past few years. Every person we spoke with had stories to tell and things to see.
At 7am Friday morning, Nancy and I pulled off into the church parking lot across from the track waiting the storm out. And once we gained back some visibility from the blinding rain hitting the truck, all we seen was canopy carnage and motorcycles knocked over everywhere. It was like: Wow... this isn't good.

We knew the Hare Scramble was going to be a mess, so I just decided to ride safe and make good decisions. Was doing really well considering the conditions but my KDX quit running while on my third lap. The leaders only finished with 4 laps so I felt pretty good about that. I really liked the check point relocation for the Hare Scramble course. Hope they do that again next year.

Saturday and Sunday's motocross racing was off the hook fun!
Loved the track changes and really hope we see more of this down the road. Having no PA system sucked, but one small thing they did that was a huge help was hanging a paper at the staging area to tell you what race was on the track at that moment. So simple, but such a big help.

Prior to Friday, I hadn't been on a starting line since October 2016, (actually I hadn't been on a dirt bike since then), but it seemed to me like we had a lot of racers who were very good in all of my moto's. I'm thinking we had 13 to 16 racers in my Vintage class's, and 16 and 18 racers in my Ev3 class's. And we had full gates combined. Nancy commented that she thinks I actually had some of my best races this weekend as far as battling the front of the pack and staying tight lap after lap.

Some honorable mentions were MW850 hammering as usual on his Maico's and leading his races. It's always a pleasure watching Vet261 race, flawlessly smooth and fast as always. Keri got to race her fist race, we missed it but enjoyed getting the recap from her afterward. I got to line up against Mooch and Beenridin, as always have a blast racing with them, especially the starts.
Most significantly was my battles Sunday with MisstheFlip (Nick Devito) and his fast KX's. We swapped positions several times, while chasing other riders in front of us. Made me feel particularly good that I was able to hang to be honest with you as he is a very good rider. He always races clean, makes good decisions and keeps you on your toes.

We didn't get any swap meet time on Friday, and only about two hours on Saturday, which is nowhere near enough. And didn't get to see any of the other sites or just walking around. That sucked.

As usual, our number one, biggest complaint: We just did not get time to just talk and visit with everybody there that we knew. Socializing, bench racing and visiting is our favorite activity of the weekend.

Great Weekend.
Have the 2018 dates been announced yet ? :rolleyes:

Mid Ohio was a blast as usual! Had a great time seeing everyone and spending time with my family. Here are some randoms from the weekend...
IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

The Saturday night bike show was a great addition to the event.
IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

Sunday's roster
IMG_1947.JPG

Its always great to be on the line with my dad.
IMG_1921.JPG

My dads first race back after a knee replacement! I'm glad he's back on a bike.
IMG_1948.PNG

IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG

..can't wait till next year

Last edited by a moderator:
Back