need a vintage bike

Me too. Used to race modern MX and got out of it a few years ago. I want to get back, but with the old bikes. Confused on what year(s) are legal in the Vintage races.

Is there anywhere to look that breaks down the classes? As I read most "Vintage" bikes are pre 74. What is this EVO1, 2 and 3?. If vintage is all pre 74 then how am I seeing a lot of 1980's bikes in a lot of the Mid Ohio Pics?

I just don't want to buy something, work on it this winter and then find out I cant ride it. Any help would be great to get me started.

I have a 1983 YZ125 that has been in pieces for the last 10yrs waiting for someone to restore it that I would probably part with.

From the AMA Supplemental rules.
I believe the AHRMA structure is pretty close to the same, but they are probably tighter on their tech inspections.

Equipment Standards for Hare Scrambles and Motocross

A. Equipment Standards

1. Like Design: frames, swing arms, forks, engine mounting points and suspension mounting points must be of period design and materials. Cosmetic differences are allowed as well as minor component differences so long as there is no performance advantage. Any design not clearly documented as period design must be submitted for written approval by AMA Racing at least 30 days prior to competition.

2. Riders competing on machines larger than 250cc must be at least 14 years old on the date of the event.

3. General Equipment Standards:

(1) Vintage – Vintage classes will include machines originally sold as of 1974 and older (and like design) models. Swingarms, Forks, Engine and Suspension points must not be changed. Only internal modification allowed on Engine and Forks. Shock may be changed. Vintage classes will include bikes with 7 inches or less front wheel travel and 4 inches or less rear travel.

(2) Evolution – Evolution classes will include machines originally sold as 1976 and older (and like design) models. Evolution classes will include bikes with a max of 9 inches of travel for the front and rear. No water cooling.

(3) Evolution 1 – Evolution 1 classes will include machines originally sold as of 1979 and older (and like design) models. Evolution 1 Classes will include bikes with a max of 9 inches of travel for the front and rear. No water cooling.

(4) Evolution 2 – Evolution 2 classes will include bikes with no linkage type rear suspension, no water cooling and no disc brakes. There are no travel limitations.

(5) Evolution 3 – Evolution 3 classes may have been produced with water cooling and have linkage type rear suspension, but they cannot have disc brakes or any power valve type mechanism built directly into the engine. Yamaha’s YZ 1982-1984 are the only eligible motorcycles allowed to use a power valve mechanism.

(6) Non-Current – Non-Current class will include motorcycles originally sold as 1998 and older (and like design) models. Classic Non-Current will include motorcycles originally sold as 1990 and older (and like design) models.

4. Technical Inspection: All riders must go through Tech Inspection and have their equipment approved before racing. At Tech Inspection, an AMA official will inspect to verify the bike is in the correct class, race numbers are visible and the equipment is deemed adequate to race. Failure to go through Tech Inspection may result in a Disqualification.

just remember that if you plan on running an age class you will be against EVO3 on anything beyond Vintage at most events. I always tell people - Yamaha and Suzuki - up to and including 84 bikes, Honda - up to and including 83 bikes, Kawasaki - up to and including only 81. Maico, KTM, etc just make sure no disc but I think they all stop at 84. AHRMA has 4 races in the area, to include Redbud Labor Day that will follow this structure with different names. They just call it Ultima, Grand Prix, and Historic instead of EVO3, 2, and 1. You can find this info at www.ahrma.org No disc on either wheel and the only power valve allowed is Yamaha to 1984. You can not retro a later bike to not have a disc either. AHRMA only allows the NC stuff at select events but I really think that will be changing before long. Others may differ but you can't go wrong with an 83 CR, 82-84 RM, or an 83-84 YZ. There are a good bunch that swear by the air cooled still and they do win. If you ever see me at a practice track just ask you are welcome to take my 83 for a spin........

2016-12-09 14.22.04.jpg
I have a 1983 YZ125 that has been in pieces for the last 10yrs waiting for someone to restore it that I would probably part with.
Did you ride it before it went to pieces? I've had mine since new. It had some parts borrowed during a 15 year or so dormancy but it's never been completely apart. A fun bike! Put it together and ride!

just remember that if you plan on running an age class you will be against EVO3 on anything beyond Vintage at most events. I always tell people - Yamaha and Suzuki - up to and including 84 bikes, Honda - up to and including 83 bikes, Kawasaki - up to and including only 81. Maico, KTM, etc just make sure no disc but I think they all stop at 84. AHRMA has 4 races in the area, to include Redbud Labor Day that will follow this structure with different names. They just call it Ultima, Grand Prix, and Historic instead of EVO3, 2, and 1. You can find this info at www.ahrma.org No disc on either wheel and the only power valve allowed is Yamaha to 1984. You can not retro a later bike to not have a disc either. AHRMA only allows the NC stuff at select events but I really think that will be changing before long. Others may differ but you can't go wrong with an 83 CR, 82-84 RM, or an 83-84 YZ. There are a good bunch that swear by the air cooled still and they do win. If you ever see me at a practice track just ask you are welcome to take my 83 for a spin........
What he said.............

In my poorly planned collection I've managed to collect several evo 3 bikes. My 1974 Yamaha MX is the only actual Vintage racer.

On Sunday morning when I jumped on my 84YZ after racing the 74 MX all day Saturday, it was just like jumping on a modern current bike. What a difference!

For my next bike purchase I'm leaning towards a later model finhead. I love the simplicity of no radiator's and light weight.

I also think it's bad as hell to see guys racing other off brand Vintage and PV bikes. On Sunday I was beat by a guy racing a Cagiva. And then you have the guy also racing the Harley Davidson. They are both fast as hell.

I would really like a 83, my first choice would be a 83 cr250 husky, almost any evo 3 open bike. or a 83 rm Suzuki 250. I have already owned a 81 yz 250, 83 490, 78 250 elsinore, 84 yz 250 in the last few years. that I sold like a dummy!!

I found a 1983 rm 250 in Michigan, after talking with the guy I made arrangements to pick it up at 700 pm Wednesday night. I arrived to get it at 630. when I arrived I found out that another guy drove three hours and beat me there by 5 mins, (it was a three hour drive for me as well) I was furious. I had text or called the guy at least ten times in the last 36 hours. three times during the trip there. I tried to paypal him in advance the day before but he would not do it. so I am complaining to the old man that owned the rm. only to find out he had another guy coming from Chicago who showed up as I was leaving!! the old man saw no problem in not telling any of us about the other two. we all three thought it was ours with no worries!! here is a picture of it price was $350.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.PNG
    IMG_2861.PNG
    617.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I would really like a 83, my first choice would be a 83 cr250 husky, almost any evo 3 open bike. or a 83 rm Suzuki 250. I have already owned a 81 yz 250, 83 490, 78 250 elsinore, 84 yz 250 in the last few years. that I sold like a dummy!!

When I first read your post on here, I was thinking, "didn't this guy used to have a really sweet 84 YZ250 with a chrome polished pipe"? It seemed familiar to me. Or didn't you have a son that raced?

The responses were very helpful. Now I feel a bit more comfortable on what to look for. Thanks, Ill be referring back to this post during my hunt for a bike.

mx955 I might be interested in your project if you want it gone. Might be a good project for this winter to get me started if I don't find a 250.

Last edited:
I have an 82 YZ250 that I will be letting go of.
The bike is in great shape, and has a recently replated cylinder and new piston.
I lost a front spoke in a turn collision with another rider at Vintage Days a couple of years back, just haven't had time to do anything with it.

I'm not in an overly big hurry to part with the bike but will consider if somebody is really interested in it.
The 82 was a great bike and very fast, with the only downfall is the radiator placement design and the weight of the bike. (they shaved off several pounds on the 83).

Back