What's your favorite tire combo?

tj131

PR Member
Just looking for everyone's opinion on the best tire combo for our area. I ride BC, Beans, Rt 62 mostly. I was a die hard 756 fan. Hated the mx51. I mostly have experience with dunlops and was considering the MX32's. Thanks for any feedback!

Battlecross X30 for Ohio. They replaced the 404 and are excellent.

img_motocross_13.gif

For Red Bud I tossed on a set of Dunlop MX3S and was happy with them.

756 was my favorite, always knew what to expect. Not totally sold on the Dunlap 756 replacements. Pirelli Scorpion MX 32 Soft To Mid Terrain is my new favorite. And I've been instructed that the Pirelli Scorpion XC Soft To Mid Terrain is great front tire so I'm giving that one a try next.

I like the Dunlop MX52 rear. Seems to wear well. Just put a MX3S on front. We'll see how that works.
I was also a fan of the 756 for the front, but had better wear from the old 952 rear.

I like the Dunlop MX52 rear. Seems to wear well. Just put a MX3S on front. We'll see how that works.
I was also a fan of the 756 for the front, but had better wear from the old 952 rear.
This is my preferred set up. Mx52 rear, mx3s(mx32) front. Love the taller knobbies on the front. The mx3s rear is great as well but I think the 52 wears better especially when tracks get a little hard pack and slick/rocky.

Mx51s are junk compared to the new design.

Last edited:
I've been running the Bridgestone Battlecross tires. I really like them most of the time, but ride after the track has been watered, and feels like the front end is sliding out. I liked the 404's and 403's (or was it 402?) better.

I like the new dunlops mx32 came stock on my 250f. I like it. Dunlop used to last me a couple moto. The new ones have more longevity.

I Still prefer Michelin starcross medium compound though. Deep knobbies. Good bite. Track well on hard pack as well, the knobbies are so big. East to make Contact with the ground.

Kenda Washougal Rear with a Millville Front has been working really well for me in our soil. If it is going to be more hardpacked, I will use a Kenda Triple rear and Washougal front.

I recently went back to bridgestone x30 tire set. Was running starcross 5 medium and while I really liked the front, the rear was losing knobs way too often.

Stones....x30 and x40 combo. One of the magazines did a review and said the x40 was perfect in all conditions for the rear. I've been running then for 2 years now and love them. Hooks up well and the longevity is great. The x40 is medium to hard pack but it hooks awesome every where, even Red Bud.

Digging up this 5 year old thread. Anyone tried Pirelli mx32 or new starcross 6? Been running starcross 6 soft/intermediate and they're pretty good. Looking for a little more front end feel on my yamadog.

I like the starcross medium compounds. But the new dunlops I really like as well.
I was having some wierd front end push issues with dunlops. Then found out the sidewalls are different and generally they need about 1-1.5 more lbs of air to feel right. PR2 told me that and made the adjustment and really was noticeable.

I like the starcross medium compounds. But the new dunlops I really like as well.
I was having some wierd front end push issues with dunlops. Then found out the sidewalls are different and generally they need about 1-1.5 more lbs of air to feel right. PR2 told me that and made the adjustment and really was noticeable.
Wondering if this would help the SC5. I have a habit of running 12-12.5 but recommended 13.5

For moto, Kenda Washougal II front and rear. For off-road, Kenda Washougal II front and a Tusk Recon hybrid rear .

I had the same problem with Dunlops. My dealer didn't tell me they needed more lbs of air. I had been noticing things wrong for a couple of months. I ended up changing the tyres to Maxxcross SI and am more satisfied now.

Hi all.

Back