What class for my son?

shaffstall721

PR Member
I plan on taking my son to race meadowlarks Sunday but don't see a trail bike class? He has a DRZ 70 right now and is definetly a beginner. I only see the next class up from 50s to be 65s. That class won't work either! Thoughts?

Good idea then he will race with me :D
And B riders that claim they are C riders.

I think you have a very valid question. Had this question been answered reasonably 20 years ago, my sons may still be racing.

Sorry, I have no good intellect to share.

That is a conundrum in our sport and has been for a long time. For a casual riding family that will buy a kid a "fun" bike that they can ride anytime, there isn't much in the way of classes to race. A lot of my friends ride in the woods and buy their kids the same bike or similar that you have and unfortunately unless a club or promoter creates a class for them, there isn't much available. A lot of them have moved on to the family enduros that group kids by age with no real bike restrictions and they have been really happy with that.

That is a conundrum in our sport and has been for a long time. For a casual riding family that will buy a kid a "fun" bike that they can ride anytime, there isn't much in the way of classes to race. A lot of my friends ride in the woods and buy their kids the same bike or similar that you have and unfortunately unless a club or promoter creates a class for them, there isn't much available. A lot of them have moved on to the family enduros that group kids by age with no real bike restrictions and they have been really happy with that.
It's sad that there are plenty of classes for the experienced racers, but nothing for the "new kids". Unless you're under 6 years old.

Well this is just an opinion from someone who never raced when younger, but your asking for motocross tracks to have a class for trail Bikes! Why not just go there and sign up for what class your bike fits best in, and tell him to have fun and see if he likes it. If he likes it start looking for the proper bike. The sign up crew will tell you where the bike fits with his skill level, they don't want to see anyone have a bad day. After one or two races you'll know what class is best.

Amherst is very good about this kind of thing, last year my oldest son ran the kiddy track with a bunch of trail bikes from crf 50's up to crf 230's. Earlier this year my youngest was out there with the same kind of group. If you pay and sign up they will make up a class if they have to(non points paying). Just make sure he's not put into 65 open or something. Those kids fly and could scare your son from wanting to do it again

I would put him in 65 Jr. And go have fun. Let someone protest if they have an issue. This is the kind of situation where a ref should be allowed to make a judgement call on the local level

Amherst is good about first timers. I took a family to the last race and they were more than accommodating to make it a great experience. Kids had a blast! Two of them first timers.

Back