Last AHRMA regional of 17 @ COCR Next weekend

Mike

PR Addict
COCR.jpg

Track good today! Ok turnout for a regional, with more riders more lines will developed and make it really good!!!

Yep, had a good time.

I learned my lesson though on one thing to avoid in the future. I ended up riding QUITE a bit on Friday and apparently didn't drink enough water that day in addition to wearing myself out the day before the race. Result was some severely cramped up legs for the second moto...bad enough that I seriously thought about not riding the second moto. Instead I rode cramped up and did lousy (which seemed like a better option than not getting my money's worth :) Another lesson learned was that I need more practice at starting my new (to me) Maico 400. Could not get it started in time for practice, but it started ok for the motos. Thanks to Mike (Maico) Wheeler for the the tip on blowing in one of the carb vent hoses to get more fuel into the carb when it's cold.

Appreciate COCR making their facility available for AHRMA racing and hope they can do it again in the future.

Yep, had a good time.

I learned my lesson though on one thing to avoid in the future. I ended up riding QUITE a bit on Friday and apparently didn't drink enough water that day in addition to wearing myself out the day before the race. Result was some severely cramped up legs for the second moto...bad enough that I seriously thought about not riding the second moto. Instead I rode cramped up and did lousy (which seemed like a better option than not getting my money's worth :)

Did your legs cramp in the inner thigh area, the adductors? That's where mine cramp when I ride both vintage and post vintage the same day, once a year. It happened again later Saturday afternoon. So I rode a lap around the lake on my WaterBike and the cramping ceased.
2017-09-19 21.06.08.jpg

I was on a Wave Blaster and a FX-1 most of Sunday afternoon. And managed to aggravate other muscles that have been used too infrequently this year! :eek:

Yep, had a good time.

I learned my lesson though on one thing to avoid in the future. I ended up riding QUITE a bit on Friday and apparently didn't drink enough water that day in addition to wearing myself out the day before the race. Result was some severely cramped up legs for the second moto...bad enough that I seriously thought about not riding the second moto. Instead I rode cramped up and did lousy (which seemed like a better option than not getting my money's worth :) Another lesson learned was that I need more practice at starting my new (to me) Maico 400. Could not get it started in time for practice, but it started ok for the motos. Thanks to Mike (Maico) Wheeler for the the tip on blowing in one of the carb vent hoses to get more fuel into the carb when it's cold.

Appreciate COCR making their facility available for AHRMA racing and hope they can do it again in the future.

Hey Mooch, that Maico is an absolute beauty, awesome job on that!

Reactions: k01
Thanks Jeffro! It's definitely a clean 74 400, but I can't take credit for it as I bought it that way from a buddy. Was told the bike is still on it's original bore, only thing I did was put softer springs on the back to suit my weight and hookup a compression release. If anybody knows where I could buy a "small" Maico clutch (willing to pay an arm and a leg :) ) ...let me know as that would be a good mod for the bike.

20170625_150705.jpg

Did your legs cramp in the inner thigh area, the adductors? That's where mine cramp when I ride both vintage and post vintage the same day, once a year. It happened again later Saturday afternoon. So I rode a lap around the lake on my WaterBike and the cramping ceased.
View attachment 56644
I was on a Wave Blaster and a FX-1 most of Sunday afternoon. And managed to aggravate other muscles that have been used too infrequently this year! :eek:

Yep, same area cramped up on me. I had easily ridden 3-4 times longer on Friday than Saturday with no cramping, think that was too much for the day before the race where I usually just ride post vintage rather than both post and vintage.

Yep, same area cramped up on me. I had easily ridden 3-4 times longer on Friday than Saturday with no cramping, think that was too much for the day before the race where I usually just ride post vintage rather than both post and vintage.

The only time I've experienced some cramping at the track is when I race vintage MX and HS the same day. Otherwise it hits hours later. My PV bike has radiator shrouds like a modern bike so I can grip with my knees. When on my vintage bikes my legs get into the back of the tank first. And that puts pressure right on the narrow adductors where the cramps occur. My vintage bikes are open bikes too and tough old, they are fast. I've done starts against more than one modern 450 with a '73 360 MX and they run even up. That kind of power just makes me try to grip even harder with my legs! I really need to just relax and ride...

Back