OMA 2018 More Updates

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I'm not racing at all locally anymore, but I see the issues that everyone talks about on here. You want to feel safe on the track when you are with "your class". Sometimes, your class will be faster than you, sometimes just your speed, and sometimes you'll be faster than you class if you are lucky. Take a look at it from a kids point of view instead of a keyboard warrior fighting for your point........... Your parents take you to your first 50cc race and you have no idea what you are doing, are scared to "race" for the first time, and most likely are a back marker to the other kids on the track. But if you love it, and your parents like it, they keep taking you to these 50 cc races and next thing you know, you have improved, are comfortable out there, and doing better and better and you might even meet some new people and try to help them out when you see they are at their first race, because after all, you know just what it was like a short time ago to be the new kid on the line for the first time. All is good in your life as you advanced through that cycle of learning to ride, race, and get comfortable on the track............ Then it happens again, you move up to 65cc bikes, now you have to shift, work a clutch, and navigate the track and probably do a jump or two. which increases the difficulty from 50cc racing to 65cc racing. Again you start off scared that you can't do it, and move back in the pack vs those that are a little older and have been doing it longer than you, and you eventually improve and get comfortable again. All is good until you move up to those tall 85cc bikes that you can barely touch the ground on and you're back to uncomfortable again in your racing because of the size of the bikes vs the size of your legs........ The cycle continues for all of us, at some age, you don't want to race against the young guys that are probably a little too aggressive for your riding / lifestyle. The key to all of it is, finding your way in the class structure, get somewhere where you are a little uncomfortable, and improve some and get better at being more comfortable. We all know it's dangerous, no matter what skill level or class level, people are going to get hurt......... from Little 4 year old Johnny who crashes on his 50 and breaks an arm all the way up to Ken Roczen who is at the pinnacle of the sport who crashes and breaks his arm too. There is no guarantee that your class will keep you safe or unharmed, you just need to take your chances and ride if you want to enjoy the sport. There is certainly enough classes for everyone and no matter what, there are going to be people that are nervous about being on the track because it's a cycle of how the sport evolves. Enjoy the chance to ride and race and don't get bogged down by all the details that people bitch and moan about everything continually. Be happy we have places to ride and race if we want to, and help someone who doesn't seem to know exactly what is going on with a little friendly advice to make them more comfortable out there. Aren't we all doing this for enjoyment anyway????

RideRED

PR Member
I'm not racing at all locally anymore, but I see the issues that everyone talks about on here. You want to feel safe on the track when you are with "your class". Sometimes, your class will be faster than you, sometimes just your speed, and sometimes you'll be faster than you class if you are lucky. Take a look at it from a kids point of view instead of a keyboard warrior fighting for your point........... Your parents take you to your first 50cc race and you have no idea what you are doing, are scared to "race" for the first time, and most likely are a back marker to the other kids on the track. But if you love it, and your parents like it, they keep taking you to these 50 cc races and next thing you know, you have improved, are comfortable out there, and doing better and better and you might even meet some new people and try to help them out when you see they are at their first race, because after all, you know just what it was like a short time ago to be the new kid on the line for the first time. All is good in your life as you advanced through that cycle of learning to ride, race, and get comfortable on the track............ Then it happens again, you move up to 65cc bikes, now you have to shift, work a clutch, and navigate the track and probably do a jump or two. which increases the difficulty from 50cc racing to 65cc racing. Again you start off scared that you can't do it, and move back in the pack vs those that are a little older and have been doing it longer than you, and you eventually improve and get comfortable again. All is good until you move up to those tall 85cc bikes that you can barely touch the ground on and you're back to uncomfortable again in your racing because of the size of the bikes vs the size of your legs........ The cycle continues for all of us, at some age, you don't want to race against the young guys that are probably a little too aggressive for your riding / lifestyle. The key to all of it is, finding your way in the class structure, get somewhere where you are a little uncomfortable, and improve some and get better at being more comfortable. We all know it's dangerous, no matter what skill level or class level, people are going to get hurt......... from Little 4 year old Johnny who crashes on his 50 and breaks an arm all the way up to Ken Roczen who is at the pinnacle of the sport who crashes and breaks his arm too. There is no guarantee that your class will keep you safe or unharmed, you just need to take your chances and ride if you want to enjoy the sport. There is certainly enough classes for everyone and no matter what, there are going to be people that are nervous about being on the track because it's a cycle of how the sport evolves. Enjoy the chance to ride and race and don't get bogged down by all the details that people bitch and moan about everything continually. Be happy we have places to ride and race if we want to, and help someone who doesn't seem to know exactly what is going on with a little friendly advice to make them more comfortable out there. Aren't we all doing this for enjoyment anyway????
AMEN
now lets go racing

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
What the hell do we blame it on? If it’s dieing why are we staying the course ?

That’s like: Oh I know my credit card limit is coming up on me fast....can’t make minimum payments. Ah screw it keep it swiping. Product will get cheaper and better and it’ll climb out of debt running the same course of swipe action.

Red I agree with you kinda and then I don’t. I think problem is for guys like me we don’t want to accept that local turnouts aren’t coming back. I tell myself to just dump moto and go to gncc. Haven’t done it yet. I don’t know what the answer is.

GNCC is at high point this year Georgie....gonna be my first one too...Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Heres the thing, no matter if your only one in class or not, you will not be the only rider on the gate.

BOOM! heres an idea, Lets just do Vet A, vet B, and vet C. ages 25 and up. now clearly this would have to take place next year. Or make an open class that any rider level can ride.

Im done on here because everyone has their own opinion and everyone else is wrong, no matter what.

When I first started running 25+, I had your same opinion on all of this. I finally got to run a new class and people where advocating to take it away, like wtf.
Now that I'm 30 I'm excited to run a new class. If that got taken away I'd be bummed, but I know turnouts are generally low because there is that pesky 30C class.
A good answer to all our problems is 25+, 35+, 45+. That would take away my new class, but looking at the bigger picture the race quality would be greatly improved.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I dont think anyone truly understands that at a grassroots level, our sport is dieing, thus low numbers at the gate. Dont blame it on class structure.

says the new guy that said he just got into the sport 3 years ago. when i was on 80s/125s 10 would be a LOW number of riders in most classes.. i would be bummed if there was "Only 10" now I'd be thrilled to have 10 guys in my class!!!

RideRED

PR Member
What the hell do we blame it on? If it’s dieing why are we staying the course ?

That’s like: Oh I know my credit card limit is coming up on me fast....can’t make minimum payments. Ah screw it keep it swiping. Product will get cheaper and better and it’ll climb out of debt running the same course of swipe action.

Red I agree with you kinda and then I don’t. I think problem is for guys like me we don’t want to accept that local turnouts aren’t coming back. I tell myself to just dump moto and go to gncc. Haven’t done it yet. I don’t know what the answer is.
says the new guy that said he just got into the sport 3 years ago. when i was on 80s/125s 10 would be a LOW number of riders in most classes.. i would be bummed if there was "Only 10" now I'd be thrilled to have 10 guys in my class!!!

Thanks for saying I'm right?

Toddco327

PR Addict
Can someone please advise me on what the appropriate number of racers are for a class? That may be helpful.

Maybe Georgie could crunch those numbers while he figures out my supplemental insurance premium.

Team MMR

PR Addict
I don't even consider 25+ a vet class.

Heres a snip of the classes from the WORLD VET MX CHAMPIONSHIP at Glen Helen........ So again everyone has their own opinion and not everyone will agree.

upload_2018-2-28_7-8-51.png

KX514

PR Member
PW, 50 expert (ktm), 65, 85, youth beginner (65s & 85s getting feet wet), girls (13 & under), adult beginner (14+ big bikes first year racers), 125, 250, open, vet 25+, vet 40+, Women (14+). 12 minutes plus 1 lap.

There. Problem solved. Everyone go home (or offroad racing for real classes).

hershey

PR Elite
Heres a snip of the classes from the WORLD VET MX CHAMPIONSHIP at Glen Helen........ So again everyone has their own opinion and not everyone will agree.

View attachment 57877

Right, and we should run the +70 class here too.

Its all good, the OMA cut the class because the turnout sucked. A few people ( sorry , extensive membership meetings ) complained and its back. Cant we all just race?

What is fun about racing for you? Obviously from this post for some its a Trophy, for others its more about being safe on the track. But I think for most of us its about the adrenaline and fun. The most fun Ive ever had racing is when Im battling the entire moto with somebody. I dont care if its for first, last or in the middle.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I wish people got this excited about actually racing, and not just talking about it. The post on FB has reached 11,800 people, which only happens when a ton of people share, comment, or like. It would be nice if that meant something, but it really doesn't. Its just means that people like to talk.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I don’t think Jordan was saying we should run those classes. You guys are ruthless man. KX I like less classes but I’m not in for a free for all. C is fast nowadays but it’s not as fast as open pro sport. I think having skill classes “A, B and C” is important, but I really don’t think we need 250 and Open of each class. At the local level bike doesn’t make that much difference if you ask me.

Team MMR

PR Addict
I don’t think Jordan was saying we should run those classes. You guys are ruthless man. KX I like less classes but I’m not in for a free for all. C is fast nowadays but it’s not as fast as open pro sport. I think having skill classes “A, B and C” is important, but I really don’t think we need 250 and Open of each class. At the local level bike doesn’t make that much difference if you ask me.

Thanks, atleast someone is following along and understands. I wasnt comparing to national events i was just proving the point that everyone has a different opinion. But this forum is full of people who just wanna degrade people and show that they are always right and noone else ever is. Theres a reason so many people dont ever post on here anymore, because if you voice something the Pit racer posse attacks and goes out of there way to try to make you look like the bad person. See you guys at the races...... well atleast some of you who support the local scene instead of constantly complaining about it.

The best way to make a change is to take action, so instead of the mentality of im not gonna race bc there isnt enough people lets change that to im gonna try to get as many people to come race that normally wouldnt so we can have a big class. Invite the people out who dont race as much anymore or at all to come ride and have fun. Encourage people to come race so we can have bigger gates instead of not taking action and just complaining.