The broken system???

John250

PR Founding Father
Don't disagree with a lot of the points. But it is the same way in auto sports also. Specific families, kids with the right last name, etc. get the "ride" on their name. But it also happens in MLB, the NFL, etc. If you had a parent with connections you get signed to deals.

Not sure what the fix is, but the current system is wrong. Kawasaki I am sure is probably paying Ryder's dad 100k a year to drive him all over the country. No way these guys live normal lives and work 40 hour a week jobs as much as they are all over the country.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Don't disagree with a lot of the points. But it is the same way in auto sports also. Specific families, kids with the right last name, etc. get the "ride" on their name. But it also happens in MLB, the NFL, etc. If you had a parent with connections you get signed to deals.

Not sure what the fix is, but the current system is wrong. Kawasaki I am sure is probably paying Ryder's dad 100k a year to drive him all over the country. No way these guys live normal lives and work 40 hour a week jobs as much as they are all over the country.
I heard 80k from Kawi, 30K from Jimmy Johns, with the sprinter, gas card, and JJ food card.

Mandy Boorom

PR Member

Randy works 40+ a week busting his back in construction. Mom has quit her job to help get him to practice tracks/training with his mechanic.

I heard 80k from Kawi, 30K from Jimmy Johns, with the sprinter, gas card, and JJ food card.

100k from JJ + Monster $$$.

John250

PR Founding Father
Ever see the Ryan Villipoto story? Money and motocross destroyed their family. It is healing a little now.

Over 40 years I've seen people divorce, lose houses, take 2nd mortgages, use their 401k money, etc to finance motocross. Many go super hard for like 4 or 5 years then they are done and out of the sport.

Financing motocross is always a bad idea.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
You can’t keep companies from putting THEIR money into anything. Look at Major League Baseball. They have 30 very rich dudes and can not come to an agreement on a salary cap.
Is it wrong? I think so. But it has been happening for decades. Paying kids is not a new thing. If you made it to LL over the past 37 years there is a better than not chance someone on the gate was depositing cash that was mysteriously hidden in the 30 pair of pants or stack of tires given to them.
The only way to correct this is to require stock bikes. And I mean truly stock. Protest a suspect bike and if found illegal than the kids is banded from the sport for 2 or 3 YEARS.
This of course will never happen under the current “organizations” because they are getting paid also.
Dare I say racers union? That is the only way out. And we all know you can’t get 3 crazy moto moms to agree on the color or the sky. Let alone something that may actually effect something
I went to a minor league ball game last night. No they did not have 30,000 in the stands. But they did have 4,000 and that is still good money to pay the players. I think it is time for a minor league racing organization. With real rules.
But I live in 1985 so there is that

SBRW

PR Member
"I went to a minor league ball game last night. No they did not have 30,000 in the stands. But they did have 4,000 and that is still good money to pay the players."

Minor league baseball players for the most part get paid very little. See link below and google minor league baseball poverty or pay etc... for more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5465b1628fe5

Most kids if they don't get drafted the first two rounds then their signing bonus is crap and should head to play college ball and get the education. Plus there is only 11.7 scholarships available for D1 baseball team - if a scholarship is what some are after go play football and you can be a second string lineman and get a free education. Or play JUCO baseball for two years and then transfer. Plus the NCAA you can't get drafted until after your junior year of college once you commit to play college baseball unless you sit out a year.
The end result in baseball if your one of the few to actually make it to the bigs is good but there are thousands trying to live their dream just like mx with little to no help and it's a "grind" and big time politics in baseball these days. It's a shame but at least in sx/mx you get your shot to qualify and line up where as a coach, manager and or a high paid signing bonus (1st or 2nd rounder) is given more opportunity as well as they (big league teams)have money invested.

"Well I'm just going to say that the MLB players union is probably one of the strongest in the world LOL"
The above is true but the milb (minor league) baseball is crap with zero support. Again if you make it to the MLB (big difference) then you have support and can make a good wage even at league minimum.

Amateur mx vs amateur baseball both don't get what they deserve as without either there would be nothing to feed and fuel the big show on both levels.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Ha. Can you imagine how a amateur riders union would turn out ?

“We are on strike!”

Promoter: “ok, go home. You’re not getting the gate fee back.”

All six spectators run up to the promotor and demand their money back.

Promoter: “here’s your 60 bucks...come back and watch open practice night.”

John250

PR Founding Father
Friend of mine has a son who pitched for the Florida Gators this season as a freshman. He is already drafted by Boston, but went the college route. They fully expect him to go after his junior year. Once the college world series was over he went up the east coast to play for a few weeks on some kind of developmental summer league team. Tommy Mace. Coming to a MLB mound near you.

jj584

PR Addict
Stock only bikes wouldn’t work. Your alienating the aftermarket companies who time and dollars into your sport. More than some manufacturers thatbfor sure!

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
"I went to a minor league ball game last night. No they did not have 30,000 in the stands. But they did have 4,000 and that is still good money to pay the players."

Minor league baseball players for the most part get paid very little. See link below and google minor league baseball poverty or pay etc... for more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5465b1628fe5

Most kids if they don't get drafted the first two rounds then their signing bonus is crap and should head to play college ball and get the education. Plus there is only 11.7 scholarships available for D1 baseball team - if a scholarship is what some are after go play football and you can be a second string lineman and get a free education. Or play JUCO baseball for two years and then transfer. Plus the NCAA you can't get drafted until after your junior year of college once you commit to play college baseball unless you sit out a year.
The end result in baseball if your one of the few to actually make it to the bigs is good but there are thousands trying to live their dream just like mx with little to no help and it's a "grind" and big time politics in baseball these days. It's a shame but at least in sx/mx you get your shot to qualify and line up where as a coach, manager and or a high paid signing bonus (1st or 2nd rounder) is given more opportunity as well as they (big league teams)have money invested.

"Well I'm just going to say that the MLB players union is probably one of the strongest in the world LOL"
The above is true but the milb (minor league) baseball is crap with zero support. Again if you make it to the MLB (big difference) then you have support and can make a good wage even at league minimum.

Amateur mx vs amateur baseball both don't get what they deserve as without either there would be nothing to feed and fuel the big show on both levels.

This is all extremely accurate! lol

A huge misconception about being drafted in baseball is that everyone makes good money.

Nowadays most contracts are 5 years so if you sign for $100k that's only $20k a year and why most minor leaguers have to pick up a second job.

This is the same as privateer riders doing riding schools during the off season. It's usually enough to get by and keeps you in somewhat good shape when the season rolls back around

Michael

PR Addict
Don't disagree with a lot of the points. But it is the same way in auto sports also. Specific families, kids with the right last name, etc. get the "ride" on their name.

It's more about whoever has the biggest checkbook when it comes to auto racing until you're at the pinnacle of your respective type of racing, and even then it doesn't hurt to be able to write your own checks instead of depending on sponsorship dollars. I'd guess 99.9% of people whoever make a living wage from auto racing didn't get there without at least $1 million being expended, but $2-$3 million is a more realistic number.

John250

PR Founding Father
Exactly. I know a guy who spent a fortune on his son racing carts, formula fords, indy lights, and other spec series cars. Wanted to do indy, but never could buy that ride. He races a Lamborghini and Porsche is sports car series for a team out of Georgia. Drives Rolex and lemans. At least makes a living driving and married a track side reporter.

Michael

PR Addict
I know exactly who you're talking about. Great driver with lots of results over the years. A good example in motorsports where talent only gets you so far. I would be elated to experience even a fraction of what he's been able to, but hey gotta have some out of this world dream to chase.

John250

PR Founding Father
I know exactly who you're talking about. Great driver with lots of results over the years. A good example in motorsports where talent only gets you so far. I would be elated to experience even a fraction of what he's been able to, but hey gotta have some out of this world dream to chase.
Bryan Sellers. I am really good friends with his uncle and know his dad.
http://bryansellersracing.com/