A Day in The Dirt- Ohio 2019

A Grand Canyon stop....Maybe roll through Reno.....stop by to see the Pacific Ocean in southern California......could be a nice relaxing trip.

Raced my own bike in CA twice now.

First time, Mammoth 2004, paid a guy to drive my truck/trailer out there and pick us up at the airport in Reno, NV.
Second time, Glen Helen Vet Worlds 2010, shipped bikes in crates to a friend out west who brought the crates to the track.

Lots of good memories from those trips.

mammoth.jpg

I wonder if the PitRacer sticker is still on the board at Mammoth?????

mammoth192.JPG

GH2010033.JPG

Which did you prefer? Glen Helen or Mammoth?

I don't know, they were both very fun. Mammoth is inland and up in the mountains and has fantastic scenery in the mountains. We flew into Reno, NV and drove from there to Mammoth Lakes. The track was really fun but not really like a National track.

GH we flew into San Diego, rode a day at Pala, went to Laguna Beach and walked in the ocean, got stuck in LA traffic after and felt like shooting myself in the head. I remember exiting the highway to another highway simply to get out of the traffic, I didn't even care where it was taking us. Riding at Glen Helen was very intimidating.

I would love to do both again and am glad to have the memories of doing it.

Kind of a funny Mammoth story --- I don't remember what we paid the dude to drive my truck out there but we gave him half the money when he left and were supposed to give him the rest when he got home. He called us from Reno before we flew out asking to bring the rest of the money because he lost it all gambling and didn't have any money to buy food or gas! It was him and a friend that drove all the way out there basically non-stop trading off driving and sleeping.

If I had to pick something to go back out there for it would probably be Day in the Dirt. At my age I am losing interest in the motocross racing and would have more fun just doing events like that. I'll keep this in mind for 2019. Hard for me to commit at this point. I remember when we did both Mammoth and GH it started with a dozen or so that were "for sure in!!!" Then when it comes time to actually do it only 3 of us went each time.....all the rest of the "ins" turned into "for sure next year!"

Oh another cool Mammoth story was they had this onsite food vendor setup (and beer tent) and we went in one morning to eat breakfast and Jim Pomeroy was just sitting there by himself. We went and sat with him and had breakfast and just talked about whatever for a half hour. Pretty cool.

Every year i keep wanting to do d.i.d and always sneaks up on me. This is something I gotta plan and my vacation time has been approved.

My dad has wanted to take a riding trip out west. Two birds.

Last edited:
0901171902.jpg
If I had to pick something to go back out there for it would probably be Day in the Dirt. At my age I am losing interest in the motocross racing and would have more fun just doing events like that. I'll keep this in mind for 2019. Hard for me to commit at this point. I remember when we did both Mammoth and GH it started with a dozen or so that were "for sure in!!!" Then when it comes time to actually do it only 3 of us went each time.....all the rest of the "ins" turned into "for sure next year!"
:) With age comes a cage:D

When are the dates of both ? Could always go for world vet. Leave bikes there. Fly back for day in the dirt and then drive home....

Back