Back when the OMA racing was fun! What happened??

hershey

PR Elite
No, the point was just that I missed racing some of the tracks on the shirt that were super fun. Thats all. Miss racing some tracks that weren't in the OMA too. What happened to some of those tracks.... not a bashing session, just reliving some fun times
20190828_163855.jpg

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Your post insinuates that current OMA racing is not fun......just sayin' AND that's why others turned it into a bash. Perhaps it should have been a "remember the good ole days of 2013"?? lol.

hershey

PR Elite
Your post insinuates that current OMA racing is not fun......just sayin' AND that's why others turned it into a bash. Perhaps it should have been a "remember the good ole days of 2013"?? lol.

Lol....it wasn't the title, some one started complaing about late nights. Has nothing to do with long gone tracks I miss

Last edited:

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I'm happy that we still have so many choices to ride within a reasonable driving distance for both racing and practicing. There are parts of the country that have very little choice in where they want to ride, let alone having a place that preps and gets a track ready for practice or a race. We are still very fortunate in Ohio with the amount of places that we can ride, even though many have gone by the wayside over the years. If I'm voting on my favorite track that no longer exists - It would be Scenic Highlands. It was just fun for me, although I know many who thought it was terrible, too rocky, too fast, too whatever......... but it was my favorite track ever in the State of Ohio.

I have ridden more laps at Smith Rd and Amherst Meadowlarks in my life than any other places on earth, and you know how many people don't like those places, so I'm just happy to be riding when I can. I enjoy being on my motorcycle and having a place to ride is more important to me than having the "perfect" place to ride.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Good point. I’ve probably turned more laps than most at pymatuning. Everyone hates Pyma. Glad it’s still there. And hope it will be there when my kids can ride a p dub.

And as far as oma not fun? That’s bout the only reason I spectate Oma battle series. Big gates. With school work and a baby I can’t justify racing. Ill get out when I can to support my brother at fun events. And oma delivers.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I guess everything changes. But it is crazy to think back on all the tracks we all have raced that are now gone.
AMS - Gone
Honda Hills - Gone
Happy Hollow
Dirt Country
Kenworthy
Action Sports 3 tracks - 2 gone the other is now Fast Track... so gone
Haspin - Not Ohio, but close enough
Highland Hills - the old, old one
GlenEste
Echo Hills
Wildwood - I think that was the name of it
McArther
Hocking Hills
Muskingum Valley
Frankfort Ol town
Dayton
And that is without give much thought to it.. I'm sure there are many more.

More toward your direction of the state...……......Grumpy Valley, also gone.
Our son and I did our 1st race there.

honda907

PR Addict
There is no easy fix. Tracks are:

Too muddy
Too dry
Too dusty
Too smooth
Too slick
Too deep
Too one lined
Too fast
Too many jumps
Not enough booters
Too narrow
Too rocky

I could go on. Budds Creek gives a policy of you get mud on your boots, its free (practice) . Now people show up in PA and MD and WV and seriously want their money back on race day because of "mud on their boots"!

Western PA is down to 3 tracks. Pleasure Valley, Roaring Knob and High Point. I guess Switchback is open, but it is it's own thing. Maple Shade will close the doors in 12 days.

I was at Miles Mountain Friday and Saturday ( up near Corning NY, one mile inside PA) the crowd was huge Friday for open practice. Track has old style Unadilla dirt. Then everyone left. I know some took off to Area 51. Nobody racing on Saturday and the weather was great. Sucked.

It's getting bad everywhere fellows. I don't know what the solution is. Too many classes? Too long a day?

I think the latter is the problem. Too long a day.

I go to an outlaw track called Breezwood Proving Grounds sometimes cause it's close. They get 450 people for one 4 lap race. Starts at 4. Ends at dark. If you race at 4, your done. One moto.

Ok . I know what your thinking. Yeah it's kinda dorky. And the people that go don't even KNOW what Loretta's is. They love it cause it's an easy fun track. And the get 15 guys in the A class because they pay like 400 to win a 6 lap race that last 8 minutes.

If you place in the top 3 3 times in the C class, guess what? Your booted out, no questions asked. Your points are nixed for C and you start all over.

It's working. It killed the PAMX series in western PA. Of course the promoters of the PAMX only have to blame themselves. It's now killing the MDRA series.

I think the tracks don't get it. It's all about time. Get up at 5. Drive 2 hours to the track sign up. Practice , race and leave. Get home at 7. 14 hour day.

People dont want a 14 hour day. That's the largest obstacle to MX today I believe. Time.

Unless the track promoters realize this, guys are gonna continue to just do open practice with a race here and there. Nobody has the time today to race. Too much prep during the week and a long Sunday just kills it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Sounds like night racing at Malvern is doing well too. Hmmm. That's a shorter day too.

John250

PR Founding Father
BINGO. Every race I've been too 40 or 45 plus has been at the end of the day. OMA or Buckeye series. I had planned to race the mid west shootout this weekend. They are racing one moto Saturday afternoon, and one moto on Sunday. Its only 35 or 40 minutes from home, but I have some where else I have to be Saturday night at 6pm. So I guess, I am probably out for the weekend. They are running practice, then one moto, then one moto sunday. 3 lap motos, but the are like almost 4 minute laps, they combined two tracks.

On a local race level, we do not need to run every class that is offered by MX Sports.
50 Jr
50 Sr
85 Jr
85 Sr
Schoolboy (super mini - 250F you pick what you want to ride)
250 A
250 B/C
450 A
450 B/C
25+
40+
Womens/Girls

13 motos. That is all we need. This is taking 10 or 11 motos off each moto, 22 for the day. Fill the gates up. No one needs all those other classes.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Do you know what that sounds like to a promoter?? Your priorities are f****d up. Too long of a day? For you guys or us?? But I will be honest if you guys would be willing to pay the same price for 1 moto, I’m all ears.