THE FACTORY CONNECTION GIECO HONDA TEAM CLOSES THEIR DOORS

Tom

PR Elite
1602674520984.png

ck1racerx

PR Addict
How does one of the largest companies in the world (Honda) not have enough money to completely cover their team expense?
Someone has a plan. No way they go without a team next year.
Sounds like a good chance to renegotiate everyone's contract.

Yes, I know this is not "factory Honda" but really it is.

I'm betting on ANOTHER energy drink... Bang! Honda would be funny. Who doesn't enjoy a good Bang?

Dano762

PR Addict

Honda pulls out of Formula One​

2 OCTOBER 2020
Honda Motor Company is to pull out of Formula One at the end of the 2021 season as it refocuses its efforts to be carbon neutral.
Honda is currently the power unit supplier to both Red Bull Racing and Scuderia AlphaTauri.
The decision by Honda to quit F1 has come as it strives for the “realisation of carbon neutrality by 2050.” This goal will be pursued as part of Honda’s environmental initiatives which is one of the top priorities of Honda as a mobility manufacturer.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Looks like they may be pushing the CRF-E bike that they debuted a year or so ago then. Electric bikes are coming whether we want them or not, surprised that no one bought ALTA and tried to keep it going as the bike was very good already and on par with the bikes in the market from a start up company that didn't have the cash to keep it going.

Bummer on the 250 team being folded like this. But as the pandemic reaches around the world and effects people in so many ways, money is going to be harder to come by in my mind for things that don't fit right into your wheelhouse. Geico sells insurance, and motocross racing isn't directly part of that market - these are off road motorcycles that are not needed to be covered by insurance to own, therefore is first on the chopping block when money gets tight.

weaver658

PR Member
It really sucks for the engine builders, suspension techs, all the team personnel. Those are the guys living paycheck to paycheck that are liking going to end up in some dead end dealerships. The riders will find homes.

honda907

PR Addict
I think you'll see Phoenix Racing become the new Gieco. Their facility is top notch in NC. It rivals what Gieco had, but really bigger and better. Already a major player with Honda. The owner has DEEEEEPP pockets. Big time home builder. Mx is so cheap compared to NASCAR down here. So there is a lot of good guys in the 1.5 hour area of Charlotte. And lots of new teams popping up. Those Geico guys will all get jobs. Don't worry. Just maybe not great paying jobs like Geico.

Phoenix and ClubMX are going in big this year. Phoenix guys are practicing a lot. Heard they are signing heavy hitters. Marchbanks is back here and this is where he became the dominant rider before going to RC's place, per Mitch Payton. He is on a Club MX bike .

Some Germans came over just Monday. Not sure how they got there visas. But they are national Champs there in SX. Bit no SX in Germany this year so they left. No Ossi or Kiwis here yet.....probably not getting out of the country. No rides for newcomers anyhow. Its a team "byers" market.

I wouldn't want to be coming into my prime as an elite rider. These guys are riding for next to nothing.

If any of you guys are interested, I can take some video and shoot it over to you. JB10 is by far the smoothest guy ever to ride here. His bike doesn't hit 8000 RPM and makes me think I can run his speed he is so EXACT and smooth and no flash, no scrubs. But he is the fastest according to the watch.

E bikes? Don't hold your breath....not yet. Story is the Honda handles different and according to the Honda guys, bad. Just different though. It is kinda on the back burner from what I heard, but that was 6 months ago. The torque thing seems to mess with it on big jumps.
Stuff just needs ironed out I suppose. They got all 6 brands, or 7 brands pretty much down. All geometry is about the same. They all handle pretty much the same. Just dial it in for a riders sweet spot and they can all win. Even a Suzuki at the second round this year.

honda907

PR Addict
Oh, and Gieco will still be around MX and SX. They will be a primary sponsor of both series.

The owners of Gieco probably want nothing to do with the sport after the sanctioning body took their big sponsor.

Just like they kept taking Chad Reeds personal sponsors. Chad isn't happy about that, but the man loved racing do he persevered until this year. Now he's done also.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So now Craig and JMart have signed with Star. Apparently a piano manufacturer has the money, but one of the largest auto makers doesn't???
I can see Honda turning into the Yankees of moto. Let all the small market teams develop superstars on little fart bikes, then buy them out for a red fourfity.

At this rate I expect to see more KTM red then Honda red.
Maybe with all the young red riders out of a job, Zuk will step up and grab a couple to go along with AMart. (Not sure if he is signed for '21 or not)
Very interesting silly season so far.

John250

PR Founding Father
So now Craig and JMart have signed with Star. Apparently a piano manufacturer has the money, but one of the largest auto makers doesn't???
I can see Honda turning into the Yankees of moto. Let all the small market teams develop superstars on little fart bikes, then buy them out for a red fourfity.

At this rate I expect to see more KTM red then Honda red.
Maybe with all the young red riders out of a job, Zuk will step up and grab a couple to go along with AMart. (Not sure if he is signed for '21 or not)
Very interesting silly season so far.
Going to be a lot of Blue and Orange in the 250 gates next year.