MX'ers in MTB'ing

MT952

PR Member
I like the lake Milton trail. Not super difficult and my daughter goes every now and then. Plus. When u crash your mtb it’s typically at a lower speed compared to MX

Mike

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I found my bail point last year at Lake Hope (Hocking Hills). My heart rate reached barely over 200. That's not good for us over 50 crowd. I figured that was my stress test for the year. All good.

I've heard of an awesome place just north of Newark called Horns Hill. It could be considered downhill rather than MTB.

220 — Age = max heart rate

I see moto guys have younger hearts tho. Probably because you’re working your cv hard couple times a week.

trent56mx

PR Addict
Got into MTB after getting bit by the Ray's bug 07/08.

Some years I ride more Mtb than mx, this year being one of them. Bounce around to all the NE Ohio trails.

Just rode Mountain Creek NJ a couple weeks ago, favorite downhill resort so far. Greatest hits from last 5 years at creek...
Cam20170924_134659198.jpg
20201011_123744_016.jpg
Screenshot_2018-10-11-21-59-08_1_1.png
Screenshot_2019-10-20-19-43-33.png
Screenshot_2018-10-11-21-30-40_1_1.png
Cam20170924_131845774.jpg

trent56mx

PR Addict
I found my bail point last year at Lake Hope (Hocking Hills). My heart rate reached barely over 200. That's not good for us over 50 crowd. I figured that was my stress test for the year. All good.

I've heard of an awesome place just north of Newark called Horns Hill. It could be considered downhill rather than MTB.

I've been riding there since 08, have missed some years. Have 4 main downhill runs that we shuttle on. They have been revamping that place big time this year. There are some new flow trails out at that the far end that are for pedaling, not shuttling.
FB_IMG_1599389904329.jpg
Resized95Screenshot9520200610-18490395Photos.jpg

KTM221

PR Addict
They got a bunch of different models - what's the breakdown on that ?
All Mountain - 150mm of suspension
Enduro - 180mm of suspension
Downhill - 200mm of suspension

Then, within each category there are several choices for higher/lower end components. Shock, Fork and derailleur quality are the big variances. The battery looks the same for each model.

I think Specialized is out in front on these bikes. I'd benchmark any potential purchase on their bikes. Make sure you look at battery power and life, throttle vs. no throttle, component quality, and frame material (aluminum vs. carbon). All will change pricing substantially.

KTM221

PR Addict
I want tires that say nobby nic -!!

Sharc - the other area to really consider is the weight of these bikes vs. the power of the motor, for example:

Normal "All Mountain Trail Bike" will weigh around 27 - 30 lbs
Normal E-Bike like the Husky one pictured will weigh 50 lbs plus
Newer E-Bikes with toned down power can get as low as 37 lbs (check out the Specialized Turbo Levo SL and the Orbea Rise. You'll get 1/2 the power assistance on these bikes, but they'll actually feel more like riding a mountain bike than the 50 lb'ers.

Here's a video on the Orbea Rise that gives some thoughts on that trend.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
If I've never ridden a REAL Mtb - will I really miss (desire) it all that much in an e- bike ?

Like saying every new rider should start out on a Moto bike - when actually a better (first) bike would be a play bike.

KTM221

PR Addict
If I've never ridden a REAL Mtb - will I really miss (desire) it all that much in an e- bike ?

Like saying every new rider should start out on a Moto bike - when actually a better (first) bike would be a play bike.

I don't know the answer to that question, but what I do know is that with a Moto background you'll want to flow as best you can on downhill runs, hitting turns as hard as you can, blitz some rock gardens, and yes, even jump a little. A 50 lb E-bike would feel like a 1979 CR250 to me. Yes, the climbs would be so awesome because of the motor/assistance, but then it's weight would make it feel sled-like when you wanted to have fun. In MTB terms, the words "poppy" and "playful" are used for light bikes with an active shock; "planted" is used for a slacked out fork with a heavier feeling bike. In Ohio, I much prefer a poppy bike because the terrain here rarely needs a planted bike. Steeper downhill runs in NC with massive rock gardens is the only time I've ever wanted a more planted bike. That's why I think that the lighter less powerful E-Bikes are probably the better bike for a former Mx'er that will ride in Ohio more than anywhere else. At the end of the day it's a 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke argument. Personal preference will vary.

BTW - I have a few mountain bikes that are really different from each other. You are always welcome to ride any of them to start to feel the differences.