Yz125 vs 125sx Ohio track feedback

tj131

PR Member
Hello All. I’ve been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on regarding these two bikes.

Im looking for some feedback regarding Ohio tracks, no high speed, hard pack highways they have west coast.

Seems like most feel Yamaha sss forks are still better, WP inching closer. Both handle well, Ktm slightly better. Ktm wins motor department every time. Mixed reviews on Ktm reliability, Yamaha is never a question

I rode a 150 recently, was surprised I had as much difficulty keeping it in the sweet spot but then again I read the window is stronger but shorter vs the 125.

I’m a Yamaha guy but leaning toward the TC or 125sx in the spring for fun. My 18 yz450f isn’t going anywhere

Reactions: k01

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
There’s a lot of high speed hard pack in Ohio. We’ve got a great mix.

You lookin for 125 tracks ? Or more so info on yz vs Ktm vs 125 vs 144 vs 150 ?

jfalat

PR Addict
I have a 18 yz125... install a pipe.. v-force reeds and cut the head to raise compression.. and add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket make this bike very easy to ride even for a 210 # rider as my self.. if your looking for more power but keeping with the 125 top end... try a 134 kit from Eric Gorr... adds some good power to a stock motor..even better if you do the other upgrades..there are lots of guys on here that own or had yz125 so you should get some good feed back on the yz... i have only owned one ktm144 and it had issues and that was in 08 so i bet they are way better now..

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I’ve got an Athena 144 kit on my yz and it rips. I list it for sale, but unsure if I’d ever actually sell it. lol. Amazing bike. Reminds me of super mini.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I rode a KTM 150 a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing - it didn't pull as long as my yz125 or as hard. I think it's jetting/that carb on the KTM's that need the work - lectron is supposed to cure that.

Suspension and chassis for me is yamaha all day. Rough or smooth. I have great traction coming out of turns and the forks are so predictable in bumps and ruts.

My last yz125 was all stock with 2 teeth on the rear. full bills pipes, and a vforce.

I personally wouldn't start messing with big bores - reality is that its a small bore and it will never be like your 450.

John250

PR Founding Father
The YZ 125 is as good as any other 125 you can buy. In that class its all the rider. But bone stock, you can not beat a YZ 125.

tj131

PR Member
Great feeback guys! I definitely don’t want to open the motor up. Bolt ons are fine and the YZ is like 8-900 cheaper. I’m definitely a Yamaha guy.
Georgie I’ve looked at your bike many times when you posted it . I suppose I’m curious on the mix with Ohio tracks being so deep and thick early on, then turning to hard pack. Every video from CA tracks I watch the dirt looks 2 inches deep with a main blue grooved line everyone runs.

I’m a 34 yr old weekend warrior. Just picked up a new yz125. I’ve ridin it at tv land, Mx acres, route 62 and OIR. I don’t have any trouble getting around. I’m not out there setting the world on fire with it but it’s a ton of fun. I chose it because of same reasons you mentioned $$$, kyb fork, reliability.

Attachments

• 529C5384-9C06-4665-B644-5E9282EE82ED.jpeg
    529C5384-9C06-4665-B644-5E9282EE82ED.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 118

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Funny story. For the malvern battle round few years ago. I went there week before. Ride the track. Geared my bike for more top speed. Show up at malvern the next week or whenever the battle round was and Rogers put a billion tons of sand and I coukdnt get that thing to do s**t!!!! Went from a 4 lane highway to deep and loamy!

125s like hard pack night racing for sure lol.