VMD 2021

NQ1965

PR Elite
Nice pics, always good hanging out and BS'ing with you and Nancy. One of these years you just need to camp for the weekend! So much fun!
Agreed.........
This year we pretty much missed out on most everything else that was going on.
We talk about camping, but with not being done with baseball until the first of July, I'm cramming in every spare minute I got just trying to get me and my three bikes ready at the last minute for each days racing. We're considering making some changes in this area.
If I bought a camper, I would need to buy a newer truck as well. Ugh! I've bought too many vehicles as it is over the last 8 years.

I did luck out on picking up a good complete spare engine for the 78 YZ400 from Randy Bell. At least I came home with something, haha.

Last edited:

honda907

PR Addict
These last pic's, Nancy took of Anthony's races for the weekend and there are some pretty good shots.

We were stewing over how many years it had been since he last raced Vintage Days, and it's been like seven years we're thinking. He struggled with the Cross Country race back then and vowed he wasn't going to line up for that again. But, once he decided to race this year, he thought he would at least have some fun trying the hare scramble again. So........ When I finally made it back to the pits with my broken bike and the horror story of the hill climb struggle, I told him he might want to change his mind and skip it. Anthony pondered it for a bit, and said "to hell with it....I came here to race"!

So he lines up, gets a mid pack start and gives it a go. Nancy and I went to the woods and was watching and waiting for him. He was delayed quite a long while trying to get that first lap in. He finally emerged back to the woods opening, got one complete lap in at the scoring tent and headed for the truck. As with my race earlier, they were backed and stacked on that hill climb, and after finally getting up the hill, he was done.
The next day, we found out that he was the only rider in his class, and he ended up with the #1 Plaque. Talk about crazy luck.

Saturday motocross was really fun as well, as he signed up for the Free Modern class. That was the 1st time that he was part of a race that had three full gate divisions, and a LCQ. So he at least got two race's in that day, and if he would of made it into the top eight of the LCQ, he would of been in three moto's.

Then on Sunday he raced "R2- Vet 30+", and "R2- Open class". He held his own and did ok. He thoroughly enjoyed being at Vintage Motorcycle Days again.
====================================

His group, Friday Cross Country race.
View attachment 73040

Anthony is #357...2002 CR250...... POWERED by METAL MULISHA, (haha... I tease him on his poor taste and bike prep.)
View attachment 73041

The Kawasaki #04, (Greg Lykens) right next to the FMF banner, got hung up in the gate, and came off the line last place. He then passed his way all the way to third I believe. Was very impressive.
He also took 1st place in the R1-Masters 50+ Class. Greg was pitted next to us and really impressed me for being 62 years old.

View attachment 73042

Greg Lykens.... Has Speed!
View attachment 73043

View attachment 73044

View attachment 73045

View attachment 73046

Anthony got a poor launch off the gate, (behind #3 Yamaha).
View attachment 73047

View attachment 73048

But he raced to the front and made the turn. (barely).

View attachment 73049

View attachment 73050

He held on to it.

View attachment 73051

View attachment 73052

View attachment 73053

Back of the pack on this start.

View attachment 73054

View attachment 73055

View attachment 73056

View attachment 73057

View attachment 73058

John Kreps (#261), on the right, waiting for the second gate drop.

View attachment 73059

View attachment 73060

View attachment 73061

View attachment 73062

R2 - Vet 30+..... 3rd place. Not bad for his first motocross race in many, many years.

View attachment 73063

View attachment 73064

Greg Lykens taking the 1st over Greg Wheeler. No small accomplishment.

View attachment 73077

View attachment 73078
Thank you for the shout out. I am, and always have been a nomad. I had no idea the race was an "event" or a national championship. I just thought it sounded cool. I like trying new things and have riden over 225 tracks all over the USA in my lifetime

I've always traveled alone, moreso now that my kid is off in another part of the world. I love mx, love the adventure and love living for a weekend out of the Promaster and meeting great people!!

If you ever come to SC, I live behind ClubMX, as my wife is part of this establishment here. I just don't care to go to any SX or National races, so I don't hang out there much because I would rather race on the weekends. If you get here, I have room in my house. I don't ride over at ClubMX tracks much, I just ride my personal track that is a stonesthrow away, but if someone I know shows up or gives me a shout, I'll hook you up and ride one of the big national tracks with you.

Thank you for all of your help and all of your support. I'm just "the hick from the sticks". Some days the old WFO shows up. Just getting harder with the passage of time.

Last edited:

Dano762

PR Addict
Mike, you don't even have to change the numbers - just 1 letter.

MX250 Facebook Marketplace

241669544_232807558781772_4685987909982459577_n.jpg

241647485_232808035448391_6315169318685719217_n.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
That's Sweet!
Richard Custard from Findley area runs #73 as well.
Somebody has put a lot of restore time into it. I'd be hesitant to race it and get it dirty.
At $3800, that's probably close to what I had in mine getting it race ready.

I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed racing my 74-MX. Great bike!

k01

PR Elite
I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed racing my 74-MX. Great bike!
They are heavy, real tanks but most of the weight is close to the ground and it's amazing what a blast they are to ride.
Looks like the stock grips on that one.

Vet261

PR Addict
Anyone ever see 2021 VMD photos posted? AMA usually does a great job getting photo galleries posted but I either missed them or can't find them.

NQ1965

PR Elite
AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days facebook page had this posted a few weeks back.
I remember two different photographers (1 man, 1 woman) taking shots on the track both Saturday and Sunday, but this gallery posting shows a very small portion. Not what we're used to seeing.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days

August 26

It's time for some racer recognition! These are just a few of our award photos taken on Friday of #AMAVMD. You can find all of our photos here:
https://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/.../2021-AMA.../