VMD 2021

Dano762

PR Addict
What is the newest year bike that one can race in the Vintage races?
Attached are the classes and rules for AMA Vintage/Post Vintage Motorcycle Days 2021.

The classes are similar (not exact duplicate) to AHRMA but named differently.

• Vintage is usually 1974 and older - some '75 and '76 models are usually eligible. For example '75 and '76 KX250
    • Some limits on suspension modifications and potentially carbs if anyone notices or protests.
  • Post Vintage
    • Evolution which I think is equal to AHRMA Historic is usually '75-76 and maybe some '77
    • Evolution 1 - '79 and older - the '78 RM250 C2 races here
    • Evolution 2 - no linkage or water cooling but no travel limits - think of a 79 CR250 or KX 250
    • Evolution 3 - like AHRMA Ultima - no front disc, can be water cooled, no power valve (except YZ250), up to about 84 usually
      • An '84 RM250 but not '85 because it has a front disc brake
      • The 81 KX250 would be eligible in this class
  • Non-Current
    • Revolution - kinda like AHRMA Pre-Modern and Next Gen
      • Revolution 1 - 1998 and older - John's 98 RM250
      • Revolution 2 - Two Strokes 2008 and older - an '05 RM, CR, or KX 250 for example
They also usually have age classes where the rider age/skill is the class and can race any bike as long as it fits in the general group: Vintage, Post Vintage, non-current.

I see a non-points up to 2021 2-stroke class listed also.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I am racing a '74 CR250 (Vintage), a '77 YZ250 (Historic). and an '85 RM125 (Next Gen/Pre-modern - front disk/rear drum- from John).

You would be quick on the 81 KX and think about how good it would look alongside your KDX.

View attachment 72570
View attachment 72571
View attachment 72572
Yes, I got around the guy on the Ossa.
I like that whoop section. When they aren't too big/deep they're a blast to race through.

You know me Dan, I'd buy that KX in a heartbeat if I could. Just too many bikes and project bikes taking up the space I have.
In addition to trying to get the KDX, MX250, and 84 YZ ready for VMD, I've got two of my project bikes that I'm trying to see if possible to get either one in running condition as another Saturday bike.

Crazy thing is, when I think on the bikes that I have, I get excited about starting rebuilds again. Can't wait to throw a leg over some of these bikes and see what they'll do. And I still get excited about the ones that are runners that I race now.

Sounds kind of small and maybe stupid, but I'm still feeding off of the dirt bike dreams and visions that I got infected with as a teenager. Just can't let it go.

alphado

PR Founding Father
Thanks for the info, I'm liking the 1998 an older class. We are getting older, hard to believe that 1998 is considered vintage. My first "brand" new bike was a 2000 Cr250 2 stroke.

Dano762

PR Addict
I like that whoop section. When they aren't too big/deep they're a blast to race through.

You know me Dan, I'd buy that KX in a heartbeat if I could. Just too many bikes and project bikes taking up the space I have.
In addition to trying to get the KDX, MX250, and 84 YZ ready for VMD, I've got two of my project bikes that I'm trying to see if possible to get either one in running condition as another Saturday bike.

Crazy thing is, when I think on the bikes that I have, I get excited about starting rebuilds again. Can't wait to throw a leg over some of these bikes and see what they'll do. And I still get excited about the ones that are runners that I race now.

Sounds kind of small and maybe stupid, but I'm still feeding off of the dirt bike dreams and visions that I got infected with as a teenager. Just can't let it go.
I liked the whoops and the track too. It was in South Carolina. I got the OSSA in that section next lap. I chased a guy down in PA last Sunday and jumped past him with 4 corners to go. He was not happy. I had my Cooper Web beating Roczen hat on. He found me in the pits to comment which made the pass that much better :cool: .

I know what you mean about the excitement. In '14,15'16 I went a bit overboard picking up bikes I used to read about when I was a teenager - there were a lot to be found. I have finished or sold all the project level bikes but 1 and have the nicer ones left.

The 81 KX250 has Excel rims, a fresh motor, new plastics, and an Ohlins shock (I have it scheduled with my suspension guy for service). With its linkage it rides more like a modern bike (think full floater similar).

Like you have said before - the at the gate adrenaline and a good battle (just takes 1 other guy with similar speed) keeps me happy for a week.

Dano762

PR Addict
Thanks for the info, I'm liking the 1998 an older class. We are getting older, hard to believe that 1998 is considered vintage. My first "brand" new bike was a 2000 Cr250 2 stroke.
That is a good era. I tend to ride my age class for that era. The open next gen can have a lot of teenagers and guys in their 20s. I just get in their way.

Although my best race this year was with a 17 year old on his dad's '04 CR250. We swapped for the lead the entire race before he beat me on the last lap.

He talked about how is dad bought that '04 before he was born.:oops:

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
Anyone signup for racing yet? Trying to motivate myself to race there again but it is approaching fast.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'll get my race registrations in tonight.
It is coming fast. Don't have a minute to lose getting ready. Finally got my tickets in the mail Saturday.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Done: All the usual's.

Friday - Hare Scrambles
* Evolution 3..........Super Senior 50+B

Saturday - Vintage MX
* Vintage - 250cc B/C
* Vintage - Super Senior 50+ B

Sunday - Evolution MX

* Evolution 3...Super Senior 40+
* Evolution 3...Super Senior 50+ B

trent56mx

PR Addict
Screenshot_20210627-180845_Drive.jpg

mooch

PR Elite
Due to the MO rain curse that seems to happen on at least one race day...I never pre-enter as I don't want to get locked into riding in the mud. I suck more than usual in the mud!

If the weather cooperates might ride my 84 RM250 in the 60+ class.

558 start 3 MO 2012j.jpg

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
Important Message

Only pre-entered riders can access the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course prior to 5pm on Thursday and must provide a copy of their entry confirmation at the gate (Gate 3 for Road Race and Ross Road Gate for Off-Road). Please see updated schedule below.​

THURSDAY, JULY 22​

9:00 a.m. – Ross Road Gate Open for Off-Road Competitors for Paddock
Load-In – Pre-Entered Riders Only
9:00 a.m. – Gate 3 Open for Roadrace Competitors for Paddock
Load-In – Pre-Entered Riders only
5:00 p.m. – Gate 3 Open for Spectators

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
i pre registered for the modern 2 stroke class, never pulled the trigger on a vintage bike. maybe this will spark my interest, this will be my first time for this event!

Dano762

PR Addict
i pre registered for the modern 2 stroke class, never pulled the trigger on a vintage bike. maybe this will spark my interest, this will be my first time for this event!
You will be amazed at the immensity and craziness. Prepare to be haunted by random clusters of riders storming around on tiny pit bikes (risky to turn your back on them - they aren't looking out for you and often have a grilled turkey leg or worse clinched in their jaws that obscure their forward vision). Certainly don't miss the informal evening races, firepit jumping, gravel skiing, and general mayhem.

Pit Bike.jpg
pitbikes.jpg
guys on a bike.jpg

Bones will be broken, beer will be guzzled, RVs will be stuck, and legendary stories made - probably in a different order than I typed. And as all have mentioned, there will be an Ohio hurricane on one of the days.
Mud.jpg

It is totality unlike anything I have ever experienced. Pure fun.

Almost forgot, there are motocross, cross country, and trials races to be held. At stake is a combined discipline AMA overall #1 plate so tempers might flair, protests might fly, and ringers might race. Vintage aficionados come out in big numbers to recapture glory - for many the only time they will see a track each year.

Getting into a vintage class is as easy as 1, 2, $3,650. When John sells a bike that is ready to race, unlike most it is truly ready to race - check out PitRacer Classifieds. Buy, race, and sell the RM125 at the swap meet if you don't like it. The taxes, dealer set up, premiums, and other fees on a new bike are about halfway to his RM.

Yes I'll accept a nominal token of gratitude if this gets the RM sold :cool: .

Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
You will be amazed at the immensity and craziness. Prepare to be haunted by random clusters of riders storming around on tiny pit bikes (risky to turn your back on them - they aren't looking out for you and often have a grilled turkey leg or worse clinched in their jaws that obscure their forward vision). Certainly don't miss the informal evening races, firepit jumping, gravel skiing, and general mayhem.

View attachment 72841View attachment 72842View attachment 72843

Bones will be broken, beer will be guzzled, RVs will be stuck, and legendary stories made - probably in a different order than I typed. And as all have mentioned, there will be an Ohio hurricane on one of the days.
View attachment 72844

Almost forgot, there are motocross, cross country, and trials races to be held. At stake is a combined discipline AMA overall #1 plate so tempers might flair, protests might fly, and ringers might race. Vintage aficionados come out in big numbers to recapture glory - for many the only time they will see a track each year.

Getting into a vintage class is as easy as 1, 2, $3,650. When John sells a bike that is ready to race, unlike most it is truly ready to race - check out PitRacer Classifieds. Buy, race, and sell the RM125 at the swap meet if you don't like it. The taxes, dealer set up, premiums, and other fees on a new bike are about halfway to his RM.

Dano, you've checked off many of the reasons that I quit going. One of the last ones that I attended was this one.

Legends of 2007

Not realizing what i was doing at the time, in a I downpour backed my toyhauler through the crushed asphalt pits to park within feet if the legends pit area. Looking out to see Marty Smith and Gary Jones gearing up was cool but being in the track for practice with all of the legends was even better. The Tony D Friday night roast was basically right outside my door. I had a nice chat with old Super Hunky himself. I'm not much of one for crowds but if I had to be in one, that was the best.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Important Message

Only pre-entered riders can access the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course prior to 5pm on Thursday and must provide a copy of their entry confirmation at the gate (Gate 3 for Road Race and Ross Road Gate for Off-Road). Please see updated schedule below.​

THURSDAY, JULY 22​

9:00 a.m. – Ross Road Gate Open for Off-Road Competitors for Paddock
Load-In – Pre-Entered Riders Only
9:00 a.m. – Gate 3 Open for Roadrace Competitors for Paddock
Load-In – Pre-Entered Riders only
5:00 p.m. – Gate 3 Open for Spectators

I spotted this info yesterday afternoon.

Our youngest son is coming up to race this year on Friday and Sunday. He owns a 22' enclosed trailer and he wanted him and I, to load up all the bikes and gear, to bring up Thursday and park it.
Next week is real busy for Nancy and I, and I knew we couldn't be free to do that until Thursday evening at the earliest.
So we talked about it again yesterday afternoon, and I told him that bringing up the trailer was not going to work out like you are hoping it will. "The only place you will have to park it it is clear up at the parking area on top of the hill, and even then you will be parked on the far north, downward side of that lot".
I told him the story about the heated argument that I got into with the ass-face in the pits in 2019, about where I parked my truck Friday morning before the hare-scramble race, because the pits were packed tight as sardines.

So, just thinking out loud here: when they have a line of vehicles w/trailers and campers backed up all the way to downtown Lexington waiting to get in, how will they handle those pulling up to the Ross Rd gate, mid-day, that aren't pre-registered?

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite

View attachment 72841View attachment 72842View attachment 72843

View attachment 72844

Very well put DanO !

Vet261

PR Addict
Crute, you will enjoy, as long as you plan to camp the whole weekend and not just show up Sunday and do motos and leave. If you do the latter, you will think it sucks.
Actually racing there is like 10% of the fun.

Make sure everyone in your group has pit bikes available, there is so much to do and see.

I have found myself sucked in looking at old Suzuki PE's and Kawasaki KDX's again. MUST RESIST. I've raced the Hare Scramble a number of times, won it several times, but was always racing an MX bike. Racing an RM465 through tight woods is definitely an experience LOL. Racing the now DANO owned '78 RM250 C2 in pouring rain was another whole experience -- I won that year simply because I made it two laps and everyone else only made it one lap....IN AN HOUR. The only reason I made it two laps is because the bike is short and I could touch the ground and paddle through everything. That was the most difficult mud race I've ever done until the 2020 Wildcat LL regional topped it.

I wish they had a "modern" support class for the Hare Scramble because I was planning to race Kari's new CRF250f, but there is no class.