Late Tribute: Kevin Harper

NQ1965

PR Elite
My first thoughts were to post this in the Old Guys/Old Bikes section, but this post I think belongs up front.

Each year as we approached Vintage Motorcycle Days I would usually get a personal memo from a particular Pitracer member, usually wanting an update on how close I am to being ready, or what changes made to the bikes etc. I got to know this guy well enough that I really looked forward to running into him, and also seeing his posts on here. He was a fun guy to gab with.
I also enjoyed watching his son race the bikes that Kevin would build. He usually done quite well on his 1974 Yamaha MX360.

After 2019 Vintage Days ended it occurred to me that I did not see him there, and then later, heard nothing from him. Then of course, last year, VMD was canceled.

Fast forward to today, a week and a half from Vintage Days, and I've had the nagging thought, "where in the hell is Kevin at?"
My gut told me to do a quick google search, and what I feared became true. Unfortunately, I'm just now finding this out, 3 years late.

PR Member · From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Jul 19, 2011
Last seen Aug 14, 2018
Pitracer name: "KRH"
Kevin Harper.jpg

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/cantonrep/name/kevin-harper-obituary?pid=189782620

HarperKevin0802_20180801.jpg

Kevin R. Harper 1958-2018

Age 59, of Cuyahoga Falls, passed away Fri., July 20, 2018. Born Aug. 27, 1958, in Canton, a son of the late Ray and Edna (Patterson) Harper. He was a 1976 graduate of Perry High School and retired from ASC Industries in 2017. Kevin was a member of the American Motorcycle Association and loved watching his sons ride.

Survived by his wife, Gina Selvaggio; two sons, Dustin and Ben Harper; stepchildren, Alicia Swigart, Lena Swigart and Joshua Swigart; two grandchildren, Anthony Bowers and Mila Swigart; one sister and brother-in-law, Lori and Dr. Paul Waibel. In addition to his family he had a deep love of animals and cared for many in his lifetime. Kevin was well known for his infectious laugh and sense of humor. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.

A Memorial Service will be held Sat. Aug. 4th, 2018 at 11 a.m. in Reedurban Presbyterian Church. All are invited to attend a luncheon following the service. The Formet-Clevenger & Gordon Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. In lieu of flowers contributions in Kevin's memory may be made to the Cleveland Animal Protective League, 1729 Willey Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113. Condolences may be left at: www.gordonfuneralhomes.com.

Published by The Repository on Aug. 2, 2018.

==================================
His final Pitracer post:
Post #7 May 20, 2018 Forum: Old Guys & Old Bikes
1978 - 1979 KX250 parts
I don’t know where these vintage KX’s are coming from but a ‘75 KX400 fell into my lap yesterday. Rough, but very restoreable and complete with a spare motor. Has the kick stand, original dry rotted front tire, tight swingarm, wheels are round and straight and the shocks even still have...
KRH

Rest In Peace old Friend. We miss you!

Wonder if I’m a distant a cousin of his. My mom’s name is Harper, and he looks wildly similar to my uncle Ron.

Wish I would’ve met him Sounds like a good guy, may he rest in peace

I have been wondering whatever happened to Halffast. I can't remember his last name but his first name was Randy.

Thanks Mike for this post. Kevin was a nice man and I talked with him a lot at a couple of VMDs. We did some KX parts swapping a few years ago. As I get older it gets tougher to see the retired then passed away dates so close together. He did seem like he really loved life and his family.

I have been wondering whatever happened to Halffast. I can't remember his last name but his first name was Randy.
Wasn't Randy a regular at Hartney's ( AHRMA361 ) annual New Years get-together event?

Last edited:
I was honored to ride Kevins 1980 KX250 one year at Mid-Ohio. We had lots of great conversations and he always had a smile on his face!
VMD hasn't been the same without him. RIP KRH and thanks for the memories.

Attachments

• mid-ohio outside line.jpg
    mid-ohio outside line.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 73
  • kx 7.jpg
    kx 7.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 73
Wasn't Randy a regular at Hartney's ( AHRMA361 ) annual New Years get-together event?

Halffast is Randy Collins. His wife is Diane. He retired from Timken. He lived by Minerva.

Haven't seen him in many years. He had some eyesight issues and other health issues last I knew. Hope he is doing well.

I bought his 1981 CR450R Elsinore that I lent to Vet261 and he raced in his first AHRMA event against (and beat!) the GIANT Rik Smits at VMD. Racer842 Blauman I also let him race it at Salem one time way back when.

Sad to hear of Kevin's passing. RIP KRH.

Back