A rule that I wish wasn't there...

hershey

PR Elite
So what is the appropriate placement for the sports cams now? Tried the chest mount on Austin and it completely sucks. Can't get a good position for both standing and sitting.

mshafer62

PR Addict
So what is the appropriate placement for the sports cams now? Tried the chest mount on Austin and it completely sucks. Can't get a good position for both standing and sitting.

My post about this comes from a race last weekend where my friend Phil and I were neck and neck the entire 2nd moto
and I sure would have liked to have my video to review. At Vet Fest they didn't care. In fact, 2 people at sign-up had opposing
views. 1 said the rule applied only to professionals, the others amateurs. Track owner said go ahead and use it which was
fine with me!

It's my understanding this was done with safety in mind (post Brian Moreau's crash), ie protruding object on your helmet.
But couldn't someone invent a mount that breaks off during a crash? Couldn't Go-Pro put a locating chip inside like they have
inside phones to find it if it does come off? What about helmets that don't have a smooth shell, will they be the next item that
gets banned? Or is this a powerplay to get a camera company to become a series sponsor? If you can't tell I obviously think
this is not a good rule.

I'm interested in this also, about where to mount one.
Can't imagine hard mounting one to the bike would be very clear.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Bring back over the jersey chest protectors and mount them there!! Ive also seen them mounted on the bars and front fender.

hershey

PR Elite
Bring back over the jersey chest protectors and mount them there!! Ive also seen them mounted on the bars and front fender.
They have a chest mount camera strap, that's what we used and it isn't optimal at all. We will try the fender next but you lose the motion of the rider in comparison to the bike.

All in all this rule sucks.

John250

PR Founding Father
I find it hard to believe if a camera that is going to break away is going to injure someone hitting the ground with a helmet on.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Wearing a helmet cam on your helmet and getting hurt is like wearing or not wearing a neck brace you can get hurt with it or with out it. Every crash is different and every situation is and how fast there going . I don’t think a camera that will break when crashing fast enough makes a huge difference. I feel people who have go pros should be able to make the decision whether they want to wear one or not and not make it a rule.

hershey

PR Elite
Front fender seemingly best idea I think.
We tried that, not impressed. The sound is way off and you don't get the feel of the work the rider is putting in without the bike for reference. Oh, and the camera fell off the beginning of the 2nd lap. But that's more of an installation issue, not a placement issue I think. But there would def be much more impact on the mounting adhesive than it would be on your body. Going to look at handle bar mounts to try and also was recommended to try a mouth guard mount that can be removed

NQ1965

PR Elite
Wearing a helmet cam on your helmet and getting hurt is like wearing or not wearing a neck brace you can get hurt with it or with out it. Every crash is different and every situation is and how fast there going . I don’t think a camera that will break when crashing fast enough makes a huge difference. I feel people who have go pros should be able to make the decision whether they want to wear one or not and not make it a rule.

The AMA believes that mounting accessories to your helmet presents additional injury risk, but doesn't say a word about all of the Pro racers wearing next to nothing in protective body gear?

To me the real danger in this is that ordinary average people will emulate what they see their racing hero's do.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Your aorta and vena cava run straight down center mass and bifurcate above your belly button. There’s a lot of trauma potential there. Fixing a solid camera box that has the potential to come in between your soft body tissue and the hard ground…..what could go wrong ?

Bill480

PR Addict
Your aorta and vena cava run straight down center mass and bifurcate above your belly button. There’s a lot of trauma potential there. Fixing a solid camera box that has the potential to come in between your soft body tissue and the hard ground…..what could go wrong ?
My body my choice