Practice vs Racing

stumpy823

PR Member
Just my 2 cents way to many classes to run the way our tracks do I’ve recommended to Scott many times run practice 8-1 on Saturday water race starts at 1:30 run as many motos as possible until six not cutting laps. Sunday morning 8 am 2 laps of practice for like 7 groups the use Saturday play national anthem drop the gates on where you left off. Means you’re racing by 9:30 Sunday that usually a 2 hour head start plus whatever motos you already completed Saturday

jj584

PR Addict
Just my 2 cents way to many classes to run the way our tracks do I’ve recommended to Scott many times run practice 8-1 on Saturday water race starts at 1:30 run as many motos as possible until six not cutting laps. Sunday morning 8 am 2 laps of practice for like 7 groups the use Saturday play national anthem drop the gates on where you left off. Means you’re racing by 9:30 Sunday that usually a 2 hour head start plus whatever motos you already completed Saturday
Punting classes will cost the track owners money, some will stop riding without their special class. I’d pay more at the gate and more per class for no quads though.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I was at malvern last weekend they raced all the bike classes I was one of the last motos and I loaded up all my stuff and washed my bike and was leaving at 4:30. I practice only on weekends there’s no racing but I do find practice it’s harder to get to that race speed but I’ve been getting better at that doing 20 minute motos on practice days but on a race weekend I don’t need practice. I HATE when laps are cut. Because in b class or a class you need those laps. It’s so hard to race when you go green white checkered you just run out of time. A class and b class should run minimum 5 lap motos. One thing I do love is everytime I go to briarcliff they run 6 lap motos for all a motos and b is usally with them so it lets you race. Cutting laps has only happened to me in the race Ohio series and I’ve raced everywhere this year.

GoFar

PR Member
I was kind of hoping that cutting laps would get brought up.

I would rather he run 3 laps first moto and run 4 or more laps second moto as time allows. Granted, need a crystal ball to make that happen, but it seems 2nd moto laps get cut more often than not when we have raced this year.

As far as Saturday practice, I don't have a problem with, we don't usually get a chance to ride during the week so it's nice to get a good warmup before racing Sunday. That being said, there is times we have just went to practice on race weekends, and times we have just raced on race weekends. And times we stayed all weekend. I definitely would not have a problem with starting racing Saturday after practice if it meant all 4 or maybe 5 laps racing. But that entails all those arguments that have been heard before. Would changing the format of the weekend change turnouts? Probably not. I'd bet majority of racers show up to where they want, when they want, and deal with what is happening as it comes to them.

John250

PR Founding Father
I don't like the idea of starting on Saturday and racing as much as you can, You're forced to be there two days. A lot of times we just go for race day. I do like the idea of some classes racing Saturday and some racing on Sunday. That breaks the 26 or however many classes we have today into two days.

mshafer62

PR Addict
Unlike the OG post, I'm fine with Saturday practice and some races if the promoter wishes.
No one is forcing you to be there. Race track with your child or Lazyboy with your remote. It's your choice.

I understand the need to cut laps but wish it didn't occur. The promoter was smacked around by
Mother Nature all weekend with polar opposite conditions all 3 days. It's so easy to be critical from
arm's length. My bet is they will figure it out as they want to provide the participant a full racing experience.

On a side note, please figure out the pit vehicle and vehicle speed issue. It's totally out of control.
Parked at the intersection of 2 roads, I watched numerous, "almost accidents" where someone could have been seriously injured.

Ohio motocross is absolutely blessed. So many full gates of younger riders.
So many tracks, series, races & open practices. We will look back on these days and reminisce...

stumpy823

PR Member
I don't like the idea of starting on Saturday and racing as much as you can, You're forced to be there two days. A lot of times we just go for race day. I do like the idea of some classes racing Saturday and some racing on Sunday. That breaks the 26 or however many classes we have today into two days.
With this many classes and want to run all the laps only so many hours in the day I’d rather be there both days and home at reasonable hour on Sunday

hershey

PR Elite
Unlike the OG post, I'm fine with Saturday practice and some races if the promoter wishes.
No one is forcing you to be there. Race track with your child or Lazyboy with your remote. It's your choice.

I understand the need to cut laps but wish it didn't occur. The promoter was smacked around by
Mother Nature all weekend with polar opposite conditions all 3 days. It's so easy to be critical from
arm's length. My bet is they will figure it out as they want to provide the participant a full racing experience.

On a side note, please figure out the pit vehicle and vehicle speed issue. It's totally out of control.
Parked at the intersection of 2 roads, I watched numerous, "almost accidents" where someone could have been seriously injured.

Ohio motocross is absolutely blessed. So many full gates of younger riders.
So many tracks, series, races & open practices. We will look back on these days and reminisce...
I'm on point with you except for cutting laps Sunday, there was plenty of time for the 4 laps

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I gotta agree with the pit riding it was highly out of control I saw so many kids easily 8 and under riding 4 wheelers driving golf carts and riding 110s running everywhere and out of control I usually don’t complain about it but I almost got hit multiple times by little kids

John250

PR Founding Father
I gotta agree with the pit riding it was highly out of control I saw so many kids easily 8 and under riding 4 wheelers driving golf carts and riding 110s running everywhere and out of control I usually don’t complain about it but I almost got hit multiple times by little kids
You used to be one of those little kids, lol. Although, I would put my foot up your ass for doing stupid s**t.

jj584

PR Addict
Somebody should try a special race with cut classes and long motos, 30 minutes for A, 25 for B, 20 for c. big bikes should be 250 and open ABC, college boy, school boy and open anything.

hershey

PR Elite
Somebody should try a special race with cut classes and long motos, 30 minutes for A, 25 for B, 20 for c. big bikes should be 250 and open ABC, college boy, school boy and open anything.
The problem is nobody is willing to take the chance with their time and money. There is alot of both of those on the line when putting on a race.

John250

PR Founding Father
I think 15 min motos would be about the longest you would need in Ohio for a local race. Scale down the classes a bit. Run 13 minutes plus a lap. Would be interesting.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Somebody should try a special race with cut classes and long motos, 30 minutes for A, 25 for B, 20 for c. big bikes should be 250 and open ABC, college boy, school boy and open anything

Come try a GP next year. Might change your life who knows.

MX099

PR Addict
I think 15 min motos would be about the longest you would need in Ohio for a local race. Scale down the classes a bit. Run 13 minutes plus a lap. Would be interesting.
I think in wny series it’s 16 min+1 for A and Vet classes, 14 +1 for B, 10 +1 for C, 85, and 65. The 50 run 10+1 but they run a part track. No one bitches about track time.

Meister

PR Founding Father
"Big" races = practice Friday racing Saturday and Sunday.

Local races = practice Saturday race Sunday.

They'll have that "feel" forever. Trying to market a big race for 1 day, you're going to have short Motos, specifically late in the season with 7pm sunsets.

I started my watch on the line at Malvern and when I got back to the truck it was something like 7 minutes. Local races to me are like a mental training exercise. I'm getting 14 minutes or less of race pace training at a local race.

While I hate going out with A (as a Vet) because I don't wanna be in the way, I like it because of an extra lap or two. What really sucks as a vet is going off the line in a very competitive B class. It sucks really. These kids are intense, and I'm not lol. This is why I love bigger races too because you're only riding with the people in your class. Not that at big races it isn't intense, but most guys still give a s**t about going to work the next day or week. What I'm getting at, is big races have practices Friday. Anything else will be sprint races that depend largely on your starts.

I'm just ranting.