The CRF450 SX Curse!

Vet261

PR Addict
I try not to be superstitious but this is getting ridiculous! I just don't get how the mighty Honda HRC team is unable to put together a 450 SX championship. Of course, they might somehow do it this year but after Sexton's latest episode it looks bleak once again.

The mighty CRF450 came out in 2002 and this is now 20 years in SX and has not won a title.

For comparison:
Suzuki 450 - released in 2005, 2 SX titles
Yamaha 450 - released in 1998 as YZ400, 2 SX titles
Kawasaki 450 - released in 2006, 5 SX titles
KTM 450 - various motor sizes before sticking with 450 in early 00's, 5 SX titles
Husky 450 - not a factor before Pierer aquisition in 2013, 1 SX title
GG 450 - not a factor before Pierer aquisition in 2020, 0 SX title

Obviously the easy miss here is letting Carmichael go after winning SX in 2004 aboard the CR250 (Hondas last SX title!). You have to think if they would have held onto him the CRF450 would have earned the SX title in either 05 or 06. However that didn't happen and he won both of those titles on Suzukis (05 on RM250, 06 on RMZ450).

The other Honda misses throughout the years include riders like Windham, Reed, Canard, Barcia, Tomac, Millsaps. Now Roczen (who is basically done) and Sexton. Reed and Tomac were able to win the title on a 450, just other brands.

What if Triumph and Beta enter the SX fray and one of them gets a title before the CRF450? WOW

jeffro667

PR Addict
I told my wife early in the main that Sexton looked sketchy, and I thought he might wad it up. I wonder if lack of comfort with the bike is Roczens issue now? It would be funny if he switched teams next year, and had good results.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
What a wild year -!
No 450 championship again this year for the CRF.
Anderson is loose and ...So aggressive on the Kawi.
That track dried out quick - the semis looked ok but the 450 main looked super slick in places.
Sucks big time that Sexton went down that hard.

hershey

PR Elite
It's amazing seeing those stats. I'm sure most of you remember when Honda was the only team anyone thought about. Everyone still wants a Honda even though they aren't winning.

Vet261

PR Addict
BTW the Suzuki RMZ450 was the first 450 4-stroke to win a Supercross crown. Having RC on it helped just a bit.
Suzuki is also the only 450 to propel a rookie to the title. Dungey.

Kawasaki is the only Japanese manufacturer to win the 450 title with electric start. Tomac.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Think it is weird how sexton has had the same crash. Identical. Front end washes and he goes highsiding over. Is he riding over his head? Is it just a mental mistake? Just seems odd the same crash has happened twice now in the same way. It might be rider but I also think it’s part bike .

k01

PR Elite
Think it is weird how sexton has had the same crash. Identical. Front end washes and he goes highsiding over. Is he riding over his head? Is it just a mental mistake? Just seems odd the same crash has happened twice now in the same way. It might be rider but I also think it’s part bike .
Not the first time he's crossed a gap without his bike while leading a race.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
BTW the Suzuki RMZ450 was the first 450 4-stroke to win a Supercross crown. Having RC on it helped just a bit.
Suzuki is also the only 450 to propel a rookie to the title. Dungey.

Kawasaki is the only Japanese manufacturer to win the 450 title with electric start. Tomac.
And Doug Henry won the first outdoor championship on a Yamaha
Screenshot_20220222-121517_Chrome.jpg

Mark414

PR Member
10 guys are capable of winning any week right now, if the stars line up. yet we have a few guys that can't win B class locally forming opinions on their career and mental capacity. Amazing.
Yes Kenny is done, he has nothing to prove to anyone. Do not blame him, why risk it.

Last edited:

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Anderson definitely is riding good and consistent but I think it’s going to be a long drawn out fight between him and tomac there both moving. I definitely think there’s a few others that can win races but championship standpoint it seems like it’s just between them two

John250

PR Founding Father
Tomac is the new Dungey. He knows when to take second or third. Tomac will win the championship this year. And mark my word, I bet he wins Daytona and Atlanta.

Sexton is the new Bubba. Fast but a crasher. He needs to slow down a little to win more.

Roczen? He has been done since his injury. He has spurts of being really fast, but no way he will ever win a championship. No way honda would ever renew a contract with him. Would not surprise me to see Christian Craig on a 450 honda with Sexton.

hershey

PR Elite
Tomac is the new Dungey. He knows when to take second or third. Tomac will win the championship this year. And mark my word, I bet he wins Daytona and Atlanta.

Sexton is the new Bubba. Fast but a crasher. He needs to slow down a little to win more.

Roczen? He has been done since his injury. He has spurts of being really fast, but no way he will ever win a championship. No way honda would ever renew a contract with him. Would not surprise me to see Christian Craig on a 450 honda with Sexton.
Anderson will win this year.

John250

PR Founding Father
Anderson will win this year.
We will see I do not see Anderson being as consistent. This is the point in the season where Tomac gets it rolling. And he started rolling even earlier this year.

I saw where AP7 is out for the remainder if the SX season. That sucks. Broke his radius. Onto the outdoor season.

hershey

PR Elite
We will see I do not see Anderson being as consistent. This is the point in the season where Tomac gets it rolling. And he started rolling even earlier this year.

I saw where AP7 is out for the remainder if the SX season. That sucks. Broke his radius. Onto the outdoor season.
AP was doing terrible any way.

Either way, as long as the 2 don't get injured it should be a good battle for the championship