Malvern AQ

hershey

PR Elite
Problem is no matter how rough the track is and how rutted it is you gotta do what you need to do to go fast. I was top 5 in Collegeboy with 10 a dudes in Collegeboy and everyone in front of me is jumping it so I had to too. Yes it is my choice to jump it and take the chance but if the ruts on the face were addressed before the first motos I probably wouldn’t be sitting here talking about it or the one kid I saw break definitely his leg and get transported. Or gooding crashing hard in the ruts at the bottom right before it. Ruts and letting the track get rough is great but when it is a safety hazard with them in a certain area they need fixed. It would take not even 5 minutes to just roll it in when the ruts were so bad. Which they did do for the second motos and it was way safer
You can't roll in mud, just not possible. They worked the track from 5am til 8 when practice started. Mud is mud, no amount of rolling in a muddy jump face fixes it. The more you work it, the worse it gets. You can't hurt push the mud off like the rest of the track. It rained 1" in an hour Saturday night, they did the best they could. I was surprised it wasn't far worse.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
You can't roll in mud, just not possible. They worked the track from 5am til 8 when practice started. Mud is mud, no amount of rolling in a muddy jump face fixes it. The more you work it, the worse it gets. You can't hurt push the mud off like the rest of the track. It rained 1" in an hour Saturday night, they did the best they could. I was surprised it wasn't far worse.
And I get the mud and how bad the track was in practice but take the dozer on the face of the jump and take the ruts and mud and push it off. The ruts form sketchy kickers and everything in them and worse part was the ruts at the bottom didn’t match up with the ruts on the face part of the reason I got cross rutted

J

Juju shuster

If people don't like conditions don't ride!! Conditions change every lap and adapting to the conditions are a huge part of racing if your feelings get hurt cause the guy in front of you is hitting something and you aren't then you go wad yourself up cause your pride got hurt that's your fault. At the same time if a jump or certain part of the track is injuring riders it needs to be addressed!! We only get one body and none of our body's are worth some measly local trophy that's for sure and anyone who thinks it is needs to think about their future and what really matters! I broke separated and fractured my wrist on that triple in 17 after clearing it 30 40 times was there a knuckle on the face probably was there ruts on the entry definitely did I bitch or chase down the track owner and complain no I sucked it up on drove on. It's part of the sport that we all obviously love never ride above your level for any reason your body's not worth it. And if something's sketchy that day and you've already nailed it but you can't that day swallow your pride and live to ride another day braaàaaap!!

Meister

PR Founding Father
I don't think anyone is crying "too rough".. I gave my perspective on the entire track in my post and even said most of it was tolerable/rideable. The first two turns of a race dont need to be a mine field of ruts tho and the soft section before the uphill just couldve been maintained more often. Really simple and nothing to get butt hurt over. Took 3-4 minutes for the disc to clean it up once.. Apparently all I do is bitch on pit tho, so I guess shame on anyone for sharing their opinions on a discussion forum lol..

Sharc, the crazier part of that Baja race for me was the results. Those alone indicate that I actually do like rough tracks, but I like it rough when it makes sense.. lol..

John250

PR Founding Father
Just for clarification, that uphill triple is nothing like it was in 2017. That thing is way different and MUCH bigger than it was back then.

hershey

PR Elite
And I get the mud and how bad the track was in practice but take the dozer on the face of the jump and take the ruts and mud and push it off. The ruts form sketchy kickers and everything in them and worse part was the ruts at the bottom didn’t match up with the ruts on the face part of the reason I got cross rutted
Again, you can't simply push off all the mud from a jump face. It simply doesn't work, it changes the takeoff angle, size and lift. Plus it will still form ruts just like the rest of the track where they pushed it off.

You people obviously haven't used a dozer to build or maintain a track and it shows.

J

Juju shuster

That booter step up in the front next to the road before you pull in the parking lot in 17 was a shot though definitely more fun than the step up triple in the back!!

Meister

PR Founding Father
Again, you can't simply push off all the mud from a jump face. It simply doesn't work, it changes the takeoff angle, size and lift. Plus it will still form ruts just like the rest of the track where they pushed it off.

You people obviously haven't used a dozer to build or maintain a track and it shows.
What do you mean "youuuuu people?!?" Lol I'm kidding, but you know I have, so I know youre not lumping me in there..

To me, ruts on the face wasn't the big deal so much as the soft ruts 30' before the take off.. in that scenario, I do believe that pushing the ruts off with a dozer would have done better for the issue than discing.. doze to the depth of the bottom of those ruts removing the spongey peg catching stuff above the bottom..

hershey

PR Elite
What do you mean "youuuuu people?!?" Lol I'm kidding, but you know I have, so I know youre not lumping me in there..

To me, ruts on the face wasn't the big deal so much as the soft ruts 30' before the take off.. in that scenario, I do believe that pushing the ruts off with a dozer would have done better for the issue than discing.. doze to the depth of the bottom of those ruts removing the spongey peg catching stuff above the bottom..
Right....I should have said some of you people.

They did take the dozer down there early in the am. That was the best they could do til it dries up. All the water from that side of the track goes right to that spot.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
You have voluntarily entered an event sanctioned by the Association of Motorcycle and Automobile Clubs (AMA). An event sanction indicates that this event is listed in the Association’s official calendar and that the relevant AMA events code, discipline regulations and event regulations may be used as a guide. It does not indicate that your safety has been warranted by the AMA, nor the promoter, sponsor, organizer, landowner or other agency. To some extent, the use of all motor vehicles/ vessels is inherently dangerous. You should take part in this event based on your own assessment of your abilities and suitability of your motor vehicle/ vessel. Today’s course may traverse closed or open bodies of water, roads, formed or unformed areas or tracks and trails with minimal maintenance and the AMA nor the promoter, sponsor, organizer, landowner or other agency is responsible for their condition or the actions of other individuals using the event area, water bodies, roads, tracks and trails. The AMA urges you to wear appropriate personal protective equipment and to receive professional instruction before operating a motor vehicle/ vessel. We urge you not to operate a motor vehicle/ vessel without personal medical and ambulance coverage. If you have any doubts at this time about your personal ability to participate in this event, if you have not adequately prepared yourself and your equipment, if you question the condition and safety of your motor vehicle/ vessel, or the event areas, water bodies, roads, tracks or trails, or if you believe your insurance coverages are not adequate to compensate you for any loss that might occur, we urge you to notify the event organizer, who may refund your entry fee depending on the terms and conditions.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Man we got all the experts on here fired up! Did anyone make it to the regional in this thread ? I hope BC see’s all these comments and accommodate’s everyone. Hahaha
R+ class for sure. I'm sure they'll take my money for +30 sportsman too. Would be cool if everyone in this thread that didn't even ride Malvern would show up for the R+ classes available at BC to support Jeremy.

jfalat

PR Addict
Ahh, another favorite saying... "If my kid"... Lol.. incase you weren't aware, your kid is no slouch now!

You know me too, and know I've ridden my fair share of rough. Maybe I'm being a bitch, but those two sections of the track needed addressed to create better and safer racing. Track did turn out much dryer than I thought it would! It made it where sections COULD be maintained.. if you read again what I wrote, the one section was addressed, even tho it was only once I believe. The other section, the first two turns, needed love too, because 30 guys going into a wall of ruts was sketch.
Man we got all the experts on here fired up! Did anyone make it to the regional in this thread ? I hope BC see’s all these comments and accommodate’s everyone. Hahaha
Definitely some good reading.

John250

PR Founding Father
That uphill triple in 17 was not sketchy. It was super easy back then. Not even close to the same jump today.

Back then you just jumped up to a flat. Now you have a big jump at the top to clear and downside. Even old guys like Hershey and I jumped the old one.

In Meister's photo you can even see to the side of the track where the top of the old jump was, and how far it's pushed up now, and the take off is further back.
Malvern Uphill.jpg
Screenshot_20220517-224433_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
That uphill triple in 17 was not sketchy. It was super easy back then. Not even close to the same jump today.

Back then you just jumped up to a flat. Now you have a big jump at the top to clear and downside. Even old guys like Hershey and I jumped the old one.

In Meister's photo you can even see to the side of the track where the top of the old jump was, and how far it's pushed up now, and the take off is further back. View attachment 75791View attachment 75792

i think he was talking about the table table up front. that was big and sketchy (for me) fast as my 350 would go and then some, and sometimes it was enough and sometimes not so much lol

Jim355

Noob
Few years back, when it ran the other direction, I was out a little too late the night before with a few too many tequila shots mixed in. Still made it to the sign ups the next morning, made it through 2 laps of practice. Didn’t jump that double near the infield fence until the second lap of moto 1. I got passed by Meister on the downhill (which is the notorious uphill triple now) I figured we would both be about the same speed that day, so I used him as a bench mark to see if the tequila had worn off, but he didn’t show up for the second moto and I saw him eatin cheese fries by the vendor truck later on. Harris and DelBalso waxed us.

jfalat

PR Addict

In Meister's photo you can even see to the side of the track where the top of the old jump was, and how far it's pushed up now, and the take off is further back. View attachment 75791View attachment 75792
The old tripple looks like a small double compared to the new version.. that new triple is huck for sure.... i was intimated to even double for half the day during Dave fest.. but i try to keep my wheels on the ground... :p

Meister

PR Founding Father
i think he was talking about the table table up front. that was big and sketchy (for me) fast as my 350 would go and then some, and sometimes it was enough and sometimes not so much lol
But but but..... Papi jumped it on a super mini... I will clarify here tho, I don't necessarily think either are/were too big. The speed required to hit the current one is the pucker factor, specifically when soft.. The old road jump was 3rd on it, I've even missed a shift before it and did it in 2nd and didn't die. Lol

John, it's still just flat up on top, but it is a rumored 130' now lol..

Few years back, when it ran the other direction, I was out a little too late the night before with a few too many tequila shots mixed in. Still made it to the sign ups the next morning, made it through 2 laps of practice. Didn’t jump that double near the infield fence until the second lap of moto 1. I got passed by Meister on the downhill (which is the notorious uphill triple now) I figured we would both be about the same speed that day, so I used him as a bench mark to see if the tequila had worn off, but he didn’t show up for the second moto and I saw him eatin cheese fries by the vendor truck later on. Harris and DelBalso waxed us.
If anyone's using me as a benchmark, they definitely drank too much.. lol.. weird tho, I don't typically eat cheese fries. I can't place that day tho.. I think last year I skipped a couple late in the day second Motos too.. lol

Scoob

PR Founding Father
R+ class for sure. I'm sure they'll take my money for +30 sportsman too. Would be cool if everyone in this thread that didn't even ride Malvern would show up for the R+ classes available at BC to support Jeremy.
R+? Y'all have explained this one before. Me forgets...