Medical decisions

Hey guys I’m looking for some ideas to help our riders when medical things arise. We recently had a rider who came by himself had an accident and was not entirely coherent. Is there anything you do as riders to ensure your medical information and decisions can be easily located? I was thinking maybe like a sticker on helmets with emergency contact information and relevant medical information? What kind of things do you do? I want to make sure we are being respectful of your wishes and your privacy but we are able to get you the best possible care if you aren’t coherent to advocate for yourself. Our medics do the best they can to help as does the entire staff and luckily ambulance runs and serious injuries are rare for us (knock on wood) but I want to make sure we are as prepared as possible to help when needed.

Toddco327

PR Addict
Maybe something as simple as adding an emergency contact to their race sheet. Normally it has their city, state, zip, bike brand class they ride, Membership number. Maybe just having the emergency contact information on there could help. Nobody would see it except those in the office and if there was an emergency of that sort they would be the ones that could find that information the quickest. Even in a situation where the information isn’t available at the exact moment it could easily be relayed to the hospital before the ambulance arrives. Just a thought.

jj584

PR Addict
Is it common for people to go alone? Or not even know somebody else riding? A 3x5 card in the windshield of the truck with emergency contact info could be useful. They can toss it in the glovebox and pull it out when needed.

hershey

PR Elite
Is it common for people to go alone? Or not even know somebody else riding? A 3x5 card in the windshield of the truck with emergency contact info could be useful. They can toss it in the glovebox and pull it out when needed.
If they are on their own, how would you know which vehicle is theirs? It happens but rare to be all alone, I've done it in the past honestly.
Maybe something as simple as adding an emergency contact to their race sheet. Normally it has their city, state, zip, bike brand class they ride, Membership number. Maybe just having the emergency contact information on there could help. Nobody would see it except those in the office and if there was an emergency of that sort they would be the ones that could find that information the quickest. Even in a situation where the information isn’t available at the exact moment it could easily be relayed to the hospital before the ambulance arrives. Just a thought.
This sounds like a great idea.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Great question.
I've only had it happen once and that was recently.
I did have others with me and was lucky for that.

I went down hard and was knocked silly.
I was out for a few seconds.
When folks came, they asked me three questions and I failed them all.
The entire rest of the day I was not myself and could have easily made some pretty bad decisions.

I agree but I’m thinking more of practice usually race days people come together bring spectators etc but we have a fair amount of guys who come by themselves on practice nights now most of them are known to us because they are regulars but even then I still wouldn’t know their emergency contact or important medical facts ( for example an allergy, pacemaker things like that) I’m thinking i’m going to make up some forms and stickers people can use if they wish just to try and help out incase something should happen. In the instance that sparked this, the man was able to direct us to his vehicle which helped tremendously but that’s not always the case.

Great question.
I've only had it happen once and that was recently.
I did have others with me and was lucky for that.

I went down hard and was knocked silly.
I was out for a few seconds.
When folks came, they asked me three questions and I failed them all.
The entire rest of the day I was not myself and could have easily made some pretty bad decisions.
This exactly with the exception of family and friends in attendance is where we were at and it was a very helpless feeling on our end

Toddco327

PR Addict
I agree but I’m thinking more of practice usually race days people come together bring spectators etc but we have a fair amount of guys who come by themselves on practice nights now most of them are known to us because they are regulars but even then I still wouldn’t know their emergency contact or important medical facts ( for example an allergy, pacemaker things like that) I’m thinking i’m going to make up some forms and stickers people can use if they wish just to try and help out incase something should happen. In the instance that sparked this, the man was able to direct us to his vehicle which helped tremendously but that’s not always the case.
What about asking when they come in if they are riding alone? If so have them print clearly on the page with their name, bike number, phone number and emergency contact number.

beenridin

PR Elite
What about asking when they come in if they are riding alone? If so have them print clearly on the page with their name, bike number, phone number and emergency contact number.
Yes at practice have on the sign in sheet if riding alone please leave emergency number

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father

i think thats a great idea and all tracks should do it. i try not to show up anywhere if i don't know anyone, and I've definitely left a track earlier than I would have liked to because anyone else I knew had to leave also.. literally a checkbox at sign in which will take .1 seconds to check, and another 1 second to write a phone number if needed. definitely can't hurt, as we know things can and will happen.

KX514

PR Member
I'm almost always alone and never know anyone, haha. I ride accordingly, but accidents still happen.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
So, if someone is deemed unable to make their own decisions. (AKA non-consentable) there is no fault for providing everything possible up to and including intubation if a properly outfitted squad is on scene and available.

Do like your idea. You could have them fill out an emergency contact form at the gate and instruct them to leave it on the dash.