New (to me) bike time- looking for feedback

tj131

PR Member
I posted similar thread on vital, no help over there.

Short and sweet. I loved the 2019.5 FC RE chassis/handling.

Looking at a 2022 standard KTM 450 with low hours. Also found a low hour 23.5 FC450 RE in my price range. Anyone rode both, had both or even just the new gen Rockstar/Factory edition 450. Hell even the 22.5 is similar enough. Not a fan of the weight gain from previous gen.

Currently have rode a 2018 yz450f since I bought it new in 2018, just ready for a change. Thanks for any feedback!

Consider the new gen yam. I loved mine. I have no experience with newer gen Austrian 450s. The deals can be had on kx's (sr too) as well.

Consider the new gen yam. I loved mine. I have no experience with newer gen Austrian 450s. The deals can be had on kx's (sr too) as well.

I thought for sure that would be my next bike. I got a chance to just putt around on a 23 and it felt a mile tall to me. I'm barely 5'10, or was lol. Did you notice the height at all?

I did notice it felt a little tall while in the pits. I heard putting a link on the rear does good for that. The different seat shape i feel like played a role in that feel too. I didn't notice it at all while on the track tho.

Not rocket science! Ergonomics is the most important. How you feel sitting on the bike. Period! Everything else is fixable to the rider. You will never find a bike off the showroom floor perfect for everything you’re looking for. Motor, suspension, grips, tires etc.

Not rocket science! Ergonomics is the most important. How you feel sitting on the bike. Period! Everything else is fixable to the rider. You will never find a bike off the showroom floor perfect for everything you’re looking for. Motor, suspension, grips, tires etc.
I can't say I 100% agree personally. Maybe with enough $$ invested. I'd put chassis at the top of my list. I'm also not a tinkerer. I might throw a slip on a bike and a few clickers from time to time.

I have a 23 yz450f and I love the bike and how it handles and the stock engine is great. I rode a brand new kawi 450 and it turned good and felt plush but I didn’t like the rider triangle and the engine and stock gearing, felt like I had to short shift and ran out of second and third fast. Also rode a brand new ktm and just wasn’t a fan of that either. Rider triangle is kind of goofy and had to also short shift and didn’t pull much like the Yamaha motor does. but all the bikes turn good to me honestly and are all good in there own way. It’s just about whatever feels the best to you when you sit on it. I have always rode Yamahas and after riding a few other peoples bike I definitely made the right decision for myself. Best bike that is stock in my opinion.

So many variables when it comes to a bike. Ultimately the feel like Carlisle said is most important. At one point I wanted a street bike. Went and sat on all of them. The Honda was too small and the Suzuki was perfect. At 6’3” tall it doesn’t matter how good the bike is what matters is that I am comfortable riding it. Mcaupp is also very tall so maybe that helps the Yamaha but if your 5’8” it might not be the bike.

I always laugh when people argue over clicker settings and fractional changes to their bike yet disregard the most basic thing of how the bike feels without any adjustments. If it feels comfortable “stock” you’ll feel more comfortable as you adjust the bike. (Hopefully)

So many variables when it comes to a bike. Ultimately the feel like Carlisle said is most important. At one point I wanted a street bike. Went and sat on all of them. The Honda was too small and the Suzuki was perfect. At 6’3” tall it doesn’t matter how good the bike is what matters is that I am comfortable riding it. Mcaupp is also very tall so maybe that helps the Yamaha but if your 5’8” it might not be the bike.

I always laugh when people argue over clicker settings and fractional changes to their bike yet disregard the most basic thing of how the bike feels without any adjustments. If it feels comfortable “stock” you’ll feel more comfortable as you adjust the bike. (Hopefully)
To me all the bikes are so advanced they’re all really good. Just little tiny things you like better than others. Like I bet if I changed the gearing on a kawi and ktm and made a few more minor adjustments I’m sure I would really like it

Pulled the trigger on a 23.5 with 2.9 hours. At $8k I couldn't pass it up, still has tits on the front tire.

Attachments

• IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 87
Back