Bike restoration tips

Toddco327

PR Addict
Well I guess the title says it all. I picked up a 2003 KX125 from a buddy and I’m going to start fixing it up. I did my CR about 2yrs ago and now I’m gonna do the KX.

With trying to keep some sort of budget are there any tips or tricks on cleaning up the motor? Or things you’ve found to be easier to do than you thought. I’d love to vapor blast everything but it’s just not in the budget. At home powder coat systems? Or just good ole fashion elbow grease all that’s needed.

Let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4726.jpeg
    IMG_4726.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 69
Knox did a KX125 a few years ago. I suspect his posts are still available. He posted progress and tips from start to finish.

He did everything on a budget - If I remember correctly even tried to anodize aluminum parts on his own.

NQ1965 is always up to some creative and cost effective ways to work on his bikes - paint, motors, etc. Check his posts in old guys and bikes.

My tip is to get one of those presentation tri-fold cardboard or foam poster boards. Use a sharpie and label the board grouped with the areas from your disassembly. After you take off a screw or bolt, push or tape to the poster board and write what is from underneath. Saves me so much time looking for what I did with zip-loc bags.

Have fun with your new project.

If your plans are to ride the bike and get it dirty, consider just getting everything back to original factory colors, new plastics, graphics, then a handful of hours with degreaser, Simple Green, garden hose and the power washer.

A regularly ridden bike that looks correct, really clean, and well maintained can look good without breaking the bank. And you'll even get occasional compliments on it.

Full blown restorations take me forever to get done, and I don't dare track the costs.

Typically you can frame the bike and get it pretty clean yourself. I would however find someone to vaporhone the motor. You want that thing to look brand new get that done to a motor
IMG_0837.jpeg

Got this motor done in 22 it was my old bike but after it was vaporhoned I couldn’t believe how good it looked. Especially if you do the frame and swingarm also

Don't look far off from some deep cleaning and a rocky mtn order and your riding that thing! I can't see the expansion chamber but if it matches the FMF shorty, some toilet bowl cleaner and a scotch brite can do wonders on the pipes!

I think stuffs called alumabrite from napa. Its heavy duty and something you wanna test with. Cant leave it on long but itll make stuff look new again. Buy a $30 bolt kit from one of the fastener companies like spec bolt. Blue scotch pads, simple green, wd40 and some small brushes will get the motor mostly clean. Are you gonna ride this one or just park it next to the tractor?

I’m gonna give live commentary from my helmet. Just be prepared for a lot of heavy breathing. Hahaha

Tractor is running and going good. The front half is all done. Purrs like a kitten. Gonna work on the back half of the tractor this summer.

The CR will come out a few times this year. Would love to get out and practice at malvern a few times.

The KX is more a longer term project. Gonna work on it in stages. It’s in really good shape and runs great. But the KX is such a cool bike and when done right it’s one of the best looking bikes.

I’d love to have DH1 do the motor but that’s many years down the road. As for now it’s just a lot of elbow grease. Looking to try Cerakote on some parts too. I was thinking the hubs and some other small parts.

Might need some wheels trued at some point. I like a few of the tips on products to use to clean it up.

Well I guess the title says it all. I picked up a 2003 KX125 from a buddy and I’m going to start fixing it up. I did my CR about 2yrs ago and now I’m gonna do the KX.

With trying to keep some sort of budget are there any tips or tricks on cleaning up the motor? Or things you’ve found to be easier to do than you thought. I’d love to vapor blast everything but it’s just not in the budget. At home powder coat systems? Or just good ole fashion elbow grease all that’s needed.

Let me know!
Not sure where you are located but I’m southern Ohio about 5 minutes from Chillitown. If you want you can get ahold of me and discuss some options for vaporhoning and restoration. If you want a nice restoration I highly recommend you vapor honing it. Can also help you out with your powder coating questions.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.png
    IMG_2219.png
    564.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2218.png
    IMG_2218.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2225.png
    IMG_2225.png
    409.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2220.png
    IMG_2220.png
    521 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2221.png
    IMG_2221.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2222.png
    IMG_2222.png
    583.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2223.png
    IMG_2223.png
    551.8 KB · Views: 42

Let me know!
Oh that great feeling when your start the tear down and find:
  • It is NOT held together with zip ties and bent over nails
  • The radiators are not mangled
  • There was at least an air filter on the bike
  • Most of the hardware is original and other stuff is still there
  • The subframe is straight
  • And the bottom frame rails haven't been smashed flat
Hope your build is going well. Mine (an 04 RM250) was pleasant surprise as I started taking it apart today.

2004 RM250.JPG

2004 RM250 -1.JPG

I have done a few motors before tear down just to test it out and the hardest area to seal seems to be the counter shaft sprocket seal. So yes it can be done depending on your ability to seal everything.
I was wondering the same thing. Motor on the bike is just fine. Hate to tear it all down if I don’t have to. I will 100% keep it in mind but I’m in Cleveland and 2.5hrs is quite the drive. But I really appreciate the help. I think Kreps does it in my area so I can always bother him too.

It’s gonna take a lot more than WD 40 to get that pocket book out. Darn school and groceries kill me these days. But I think first I’m going to do the hubs first. Then continue from there depending on the outcome.

Has anyone ever used the Cerakote single stage or the one with a Catalyst product? Thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing. Motor on the bike is just fine. Hate to tear it all down if I don’t have to. I will 100% keep it in mind but I’m in Cleveland and 2.5hrs is quite the drive. But I really appreciate the help. I think Kreps does it in my area so I can always bother him too.

It’s gonna take a lot more than WD 40 to get that pocket book out. Darn school and groceries kill me these days. But I think first I’m going to do the hubs first. Then continue from there depending on the outcome.

Has anyone ever used the Cerakote single stage or the one with a Catalyst product? Thoughts?
Groceries? Salad n chicken are cheap and we can both benefit from only eating that. Sacrifice for the cleanliness brah! Lol

Groceries? Salad n chicken are cheap and we can both benefit from only eating that. Sacrifice for the cleanliness brah! Lol
Dude we are planning a meatball sub ride day …Our group texts during the day go off about it !

Back