Bike restoration tips

I think Kreps does it in my area so I can always bother him too.
I was coming here to mention that a familiar face, may have something to do with this site, has what you need and a random drop-off/ding dong door ditch with a box of parts might get done after some time.

KX build going well so far. I’m starting from
The ground up. I looked into Cerakote and decided to give it a try. Long story short it’s not super hard to do. I made a homemade oven out of a barrel and used a small sandblast kit. Sprayed the hubs and they came out sweet! I’m gonna do the clamps next and then order a rim and spoke kit.

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5345.jpeg
    IMG_5345.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 24
KX build going well so far. I’m starting from
The ground up. I looked into Cerakote and decided to give it a try. Long story short it’s not super hard to do. I made a homemade oven out of a barrel and used a small sandblast kit. Sprayed the hubs and they came out sweet! I’m gonna do the clamps next and then order a rim and spoke kit.

Nicely done - they do look good.

My '04 RM250 build is moving along also. I turned to fellow PitRacer Schaffernocker and his Smooth Speed MX wheel service for rebuild, new rims, spokes, and tires. He did a super job and they look fantastic.

Resized_Resized_20240308_184317.jpeg

Scotchbrite and wd 40. It's nothing like vapor blasting but can make a heck of a difference with some elbow grease.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 25
That’s my next question is rims. I look online and find rim and spoke kits. I saw Tusk has a rim and spoke kit but it’s out of stock. I see Warp 9 has a rim and spoke kit too. There are options out there but it gets confusing the more I look.

Since I’m using a stock hub does it matter what spoke kit I use? Can I just use any spokes with any rim?

Last edited:
That’s my next question is rims. I look online and find rim and spoke kits. I saw Tusk has a rim and spoke kit but it’s out of stock. I see Warp 9 has a rim and spoke kit too. There are options out there but it gets confusing the more I look.

Since I’m using a stock hub does it matter what spoke kit I use? Can I just use any spokes with any rim?
I wonder if you can use a 250f wheel kit cause aren’t they the same size wheels? Could be wrong but always worth a shot

I still have some of these rims for sale if they will work for you:

I still have some of these rims for sale if they will work for you:

That is temping but I am looking for black rims for it. I will keep it in mind though.

I was wondering the same thing about a 250f wheel? I don’t know. I think we need Schaffernocker to chime in on this. Paging Corey lol.

I might call around and ask.

I cant speak 100% for what you have but usually the 2/4 stroke hubs stuff can interchange, you just need to switch spacers due to axle size. If your talking rims themselves, these are fairly universal, just need the correct hole count.

I do my dirty work digging around aftermarket hub companies, if they show the same part number, you can trust it will work with some adjustments if needed.

Last edited:
I think the plan is going to be to Cerakote the rims. I have gloss black and the rims are in great shape so it’s worth it to try. Worst case I buy rims and do that. And with how much I actually ride it might take 20yrs to get the bike out on the track lol.

I’ll post pics of the rims once I coat them.

I think the plan is going to be to Cerakote the rims. I have gloss black and the rims are in great shape so it’s worth it to try. Worst case I buy rims and do that. And with how much I actually ride it might take 20yrs to get the bike out on the track lol.

I’ll post pics of the rims once I coat them.
Honestly for the price of a rebuild and creakote, you could probably buy a set of dubya edge wheels for the bike. I bought a set from shaffernocker back in 2021 and they were great wheels, never had a single issue with them

Honestly for the price of a rebuild and creakote, you could probably buy a set of dubya edge wheels for the bike. I bought a set from shaffernocker back in 2021 and they were great wheels, never had a single issue with them
I’ve got very little money into coating the rims, hubs, and spoke kit. Plus I can use the coating for other projects. At this point I’m about 200 bucks into the oven, coatings and parts. So in the long run Yes it’s probably easier to have a company make up a set of wheels. But having the ability to use the Cerakote set up for other projects is worth it to me. Now I can do stuff for friends and maybe make a few bucks

I’ve got very little money into coating the rims, hubs, and spoke kit. Plus I can use the coating for other projects. At this point I’m about 200 bucks into the oven, coatings and parts. So in the long run Yes it’s probably easier to have a company make up a set of wheels. But having the ability to use the Cerakote set up for other projects is worth it to me. Now I can do stuff for friends and maybe make a few bucks
If you were closer id definitely throw you a few bucks for some parts to get done. Ive always wanted to buy my own set up just havent pulled the trigger.

Don’t forget once the bike is finally complete, replace the silencer with a 12 inch dildo with a hole drilled through it to let the exhaust fumes out!!!!

Back