Choosing Classes

Hello everyone! Been observing PR for years, finally joined as a member.

I'm 32, getting back into racing after drinking beer while playing in the woods for way too long. I will be doing as many MX, HS, and GP events as possible in the various Ohio Series. My dilemma is choosing the right class. When I was 15 on a kx100 there was only 2 or 3 classes to choose from. Nowadays with all the class options available for my age and bike, I have no clue which is the right choice that's best suitable for my skill level.
I'll be racing my freshly built '01 CR250.
I've been riding since I was 9, raced with a coach from age 14-16, f'd off until about 5 years ago, then started learning again and focusing on fundamentals, technique, training, etc. My knowledge of all things dirtbikes is fairly extensive and I feel as though I have a good grasp on things; however, I struggle with clearing jumps and riding ruts that aren't in turns. All the years of improper technique and bike setup causing irregular/unpredictable flight patterns and bike behavior in general has negatively impacted my riding on the 250 significantly.
All that being said, how do I know what class I should be racing?
I believe my options are: Sportsman B, 250 C, Open C, +30, +32, Decade/Bomber, 1st Year Racer, and I think Lightweight or Heavyweight Open.

Any advice/insight/help is much appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Hey dude welcome - similar story to me. I was a little younger in my comeback.

If you are looking to check out our series we offer a 25+ C class at 11AM and a bike size + some vintage classes at 3PM. Later in the day our races are usually smaller and I think that’s a good space to ride because you’ll have less company on the track.

If I could recommend anything it would be to do some off-road racing early in the year and motocross open practice. THEN once you have your fitness/technique/bike dialed in then jump into some moto.

Don’t be afraid to take a class either - wish I would have done it sooner.

Could have saved me some pain and suffering for sure.

See you around!

105 on the Suzuki.

I would suggest 30 plus and open c. Typically open c has less riders and not nearly as crazy as 250c. Also say you race c and don’t feel safe or comfortable I would say you could ride beginner. But 30 plus is very reasonable and if you think about 25 plus it tends to be like a second A class but safety wise you wouldn’t have to worry as much in age classes as c class hope this helps.

I would suggest 30 plus and open c. Typically open c has less riders and not nearly as crazy as 250c. Also say you race c and don’t feel safe or comfortable I would say you could ride beginner. But 30 plus is very reasonable and if you think about 25 plus it tends to be like a second A class but safety wise you wouldn’t have to worry as much in age classes as c class hope this helps.
Anymore 30+ is like an A class as well, unless you’re in the buckeye series where it’s a B/C class. I personally say just stick to an age class if you’re not sure which skill class you belong it. For the longest time when i got back into motocross in 2018-19 i just rode 30+ class, and then i started keeping pace with some A riders so i rode open A as well.

Back