Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

k01

PR Elite
I have my 85 KX-125 out for a bottem end over haul, I also rounded up a 1988 YZ-250 to do up in memory of my Dad Steve Miller he had a 1986 YZ-250 #54 in "super senior" class at Honda Hills back in the 80's I also rode some 250B class on it as well, Chose the 88 hoping for a little better suspension to go with the killer 1980's YZ-250 motor, heres a pic of it, still has original tires, was trail ridden and ideas for this or help would be cool, would love to find a 1984-1985 vented front # plate for it if anyone has one let me knowView attachment 47764

I should have kept my '88. Huge improvement over previous years. But when I first got it though I couldn't get comfortable so I put my '87 seat, tank and shrouds on it (with some simple seat mount mods).
Here at COCR...
Scan066, January 26, 2005.jpg

Time with the rear disc and a tall seat made the stock '88 stuff finally comfortable. Then it turned all white. Lots of soft scrub with bleach after each Honda Hills trip...
39461-Scan065, January 26, 2005 crop.jpg

VETRIDER801

PR Member
Not new projects, but winter rebuilds.....I've got three 84 RM's down to the frame right now. Mine and two of Babet's.
Frames are out at Ace Powdercoating now......
Cylinders getting ready for new bore......
Cases split, ultrasonic'd, and ready for blasting and painting.....

View attachment 47767 View attachment 47768 View attachment 47769
That brings back memories!! My first 125 was a 1984 RM-125E. (#212) It was Tim Fraizers old bike best suspension ever, never had to adjust it. Only thing the power band was wide open throttle or nothing, I could run good till I got tired than I would lose places in races!! Never got hurt on it ether, I went from being lapped in open b to running my first top 10 effort in 125C, I was in heaven!! I have a pic with me racing in in dirt country someplace :)

evomx244

PR Addict
Tim Fraizer and I banged bars in the 125 B back in 1982-Nice guy. I rode a friend's 84 RM125 at a few races, you are correct, great suspension and zero low-mid power.

VETRIDER801

PR Member
I should have kept my '88. Huge improvement over previous years. But when I first got it though I couldn't get comfortable so I put my '87 seat, tank and shrouds on it (with some simple seat mount mods).
Here at COCR...
View attachment 47776
Time with the rear disc and a tall seat made the stock '88 stuff finally comfortable. Then it turned all white. Lots of soft scrub with bleach after each Honda Hills trip...
View attachment 47777
I really miss Honda Hills I wish someone would get interested in rehabbing that track and bring it back, Fun times!!

BILL88L

PR Addict
Gee I wonder which of the 3 motors got the best parts? Just kidding. Nice work. I happened across this on Mark's:

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=yKefDbDWkESmqt48

Big swing but it appears to be a period correct shock. I like mine on my CR! Steve will dial it in to your needs - he worked for Ohlins for years. He rebuilt mine for me. I have to think you both have that angle working already just thought I'd mention it.

Vet261

PR Addict
Got the frames back from Ace Powdercoating near Akron.
They did a fabulous job on the coating, it is basically perfect.

Two small complaints not related to the actual powdercoating:
1) When I called them I told them the one frame needed a nut welded on (Babet's 125 frame) so I'd get it there after I got that done. They said "no worries, we'll do it for you" (they are located at an auto collision center). Well, they didn't do it. So now I have to have someone weld the nut and tear up the nice coating in that spot. Luckily it's for tank mount so won't be seen.
2) They never called me to tell me they were done. I've been waiting.....and finally yesterday morning I called them to check status. I'm on hold for a bit and then the guy comes back on and says "they're all done!" I even asked if someone was going to call and let me know and he replied "yeah I think so."

Anyway, they look perfect, look like they were done really well, and I'd certainly use them again. I'd just make sure that I had all welding, etc done beforehand myself. I handed them frames and they degreased, blasted, and powdered for $199 each. To me that's a deal. You can tell they know what they're doing because the S/N's are still readable.

frameA.JPG
frameB.JPG

Vet261

PR Addict
Gee I wonder which of the 3 motors got the best parts?
Ha yeah Babet gets all my old parts and I get new parts! J/K -- our motors are basically identical, same Eric Gorr porting, all same new parts, only difference is mine is going to .50 over and his is going to 1.50 over so his should be faster!

I saw that Ohlins....too much $$ for me but Big Money Babet should get it!

beenridin

PR Elite
Ha yeah Babet gets all my old parts and I get new parts! J/K -- our motors are basically identical, same Eric Gorr porting, all same new parts, only difference is mine is going to .50 over and his is going to 1.50 over so his should be faster!

I saw that Ohlins....too much $$ for me but Big Money Babet should get it!
I saw that. Think it's a better shock? I've never had an Ohlins??

mx049

PR Elite
I saw that. Think it's a better shock? I've never had an Ohlins??
Put Ohlins on my 76 Maico back in 2007 & worth every penny...only wish I still had the bike and was racing it. Ohlins first choice by far but make u cough up some bucks but you get what you pay for with them and won't regret it. Maico Mark