2016 Mini o's by the numbers

ck1racerx

PR Addict
'Cause I know you love to see the facts...
1662 entries in SX
2292 entries in MX
That is 3954 at $90 each (if you pre-entered) for a total of
$355,860 Plus $60 each to get in the gate. Plus transponders. EASY million dollar event.

39 SX classes, 43 MX classes.
Now, by the state...
Ohio
166 total entries
0 wins
0 podiums
13 top 10's

Penn
242 entries
3 wins
11 pod
39 top 10's

Indiana
86 entries
0 wins
0 podiums
6 top 10's

Kentucky
55 entries
3 top 10's

Ill
134 entries
4 podiums
15 top 10's

New York
126 entries
4 wins
9 podiums
23 top 10"s

Tenn
90 entries
6 wins
6 podiums
31 top 10's

Georgia
280 entries
7 wins
34 podiums
79 top 10's

Texas
270 entries
8 wins
25 pod
69 top 10's

North Car
194 entries
2 wins
11 pod
40 top 10's

South Car
87 entries
1 win
5 pod
20 top 10's

Mich
179 entries
5 wins
11 pod
37 top 10's

Cali
237 entries
22 wins
39 pod
78 top 10's

Florida
641 entries
12 wins
39 pod
134 top 10's

So, Why? First, why would you spend that money? Why did Ohio riders do so poorly? Had plenty of people try so its not that.
Don't say "sand"... last I checked Pennsylvania is not full of sand. Yes, I know its a "vacation race" and winning is not everything. (in this state it is nothing). And Yes, I know its a bucket list race... BUT really? There are that many people with $$$$ falling out of the buttholes????
This is the product of all the damn open practices we have. No one wants to race, and those that do, get waxed when they go to big events.

Gatorback isn't sandy. It's a mix of square edge limestone and sand. But you know that. The sx is very hard pack.

Shoot those numbers are down. I rememebee entries breaking 5000 last year my me, mom and dad went. That was 04. Wow.

IMG_6001.JPG

Photo Credit Mike Vizer Photo and MXPTV

Well I'll only speak for us..only did MX

I was pleased with Mitchell and his results..nothing to be ashamed of or feel like he did poorly.

First he bumped early to the 12-13 y/o and 12-15 y/o year old 85cc classes as he could have been running his 9-11 85 class. I felt it was a great opportunity to see the next age classes at the National level..both classes close to 60 riders

10th in 12-13 85cc with most above him full time trained, living in south or west, having thier own track or living in a compound, ...many Factory riders also so very minimal financial limits. So, I don't see that as doing bad going to traditional school living in a home in Ohio.

15th in 12-15 85cc with kids with mustache's..LOL..and significantly older...same deal

So I guess its relative ..not making any excuses..but it's hard to compare apples to apples as way back when I raced it was a whole different world..

Kids all went to school and mostly only ran on weekends..that is not the case at all anymore..and I would not change a thing the way we are doing it..keep plugging with the goal to oust those ahead of him no matter what their or our circumstances.

Those than ran this event are fast fast and the best riders in the front of these classes..

Last edited:
Yea I totally agree. There were only like 3-5 home schooled and training when I was racing as a kid. Millsapps, lichtle, wages all homeschool and training. Maybe a few others. But helper was a phenom. Went to school and laid down Moto wins like nothing.

Hell just qualifying for the mains is an epic feat these days. The kids are so fast. Great job Mitchy.

zboy is a very good rider... forsure. We do have a very select few that are doing fine on a national level. BUT for the most part we clearly do not have the caliber of racers as in decades in the past. "full time trainers" sure, there are a few. But most of them still signup from their home state. And not all of these guys are living at a training facility.
I dont want to live in the past, i want to fix the issue now so in a few years those Ohio numbers are at least back to the respectable level.
Now, of course we cant do it in the winter, but with the 712 different tracks in the state i would assume we could get at least one to open up through the summer EVERYDAY. and then we can have full time racers also. Just use one of the southern locations as an example. Get a few "trainers" and "coaches" and start developing better racers. Keep the cost at a reasonable amount and lets get more kids to the zboy level. NOT open practice on a wednesday afternoon or for a few hours on a Sunday (that is race day) Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day.
If that is all it takes then heck, i will "coach" for free.

and i am not pointing fingers at anyone. My son is last on race day in this slow state so i am somewhat of an expert on what slow looks like. BUT i am also not dragging him all over the country to go to these expensive races. He needs coaching. and i am not the one to do it. He needs someone else to instruct him. Once he gets to mid pack and understands the basics racing, then i can do it. Teaching him how to use a clutch has nearly killed me this year. Gotta know your strength and weeknesses

How many wins would Michigan have if John Grewe didn't go?

Brad Smith is from Michigan. Brad won the Plus 30 and finished 2nd in the Plus 25. He now operates the dozer at MTF and does their track maintenance.

Knox,
Motocross is not the same sport that you and I used to race. It's changed dramatically over the last 16 years. Most of the Ohio riders that were at Mini O's are not homeschooled and don't live full-time in a warm climate or at a training facility. Most of the riders that won titles are now homeschooled, live in warm climate states, and are at a training facility. They also do list that as their place of residence. I know it's free advertising for places like MTF to have their riders list their residence as Cairo, Georgia.

Last edited:
'Cause I know you love to see the facts...
1662 entries in SX
2292 entries in MX
That is 3954 at $90 each (if you pre-entered) for a total of
$355,860 Plus $60 each to get in the gate. Plus transponders. EASY million dollar event.

39 SX classes, 43 MX classes.
Now, by the state...
Ohio
166 total entries
0 wins
0 podiums
13 top 10's

Penn
242 entries
3 wins
11 pod
39 top 10's

Indiana
86 entries
0 wins
0 podiums
6 top 10's

Kentucky
55 entries
3 top 10's

Ill
134 entries
4 podiums
15 top 10's

New York
126 entries
4 wins
9 podiums
23 top 10"s

Tenn
90 entries
6 wins
6 podiums
31 top 10's

Georgia
280 entries
7 wins
34 podiums
79 top 10's

Texas
270 entries
8 wins
25 pod
69 top 10's

North Car
194 entries
2 wins
11 pod
40 top 10's

South Car
87 entries
1 win
5 pod
20 top 10's

Mich
179 entries
5 wins
11 pod
37 top 10's

Cali
237 entries
22 wins
39 pod
78 top 10's

Florida
641 entries
12 wins
39 pod
134 top 10's

So, Why? First, why would you spend that money? Why did Ohio riders do so poorly? Had plenty of people try so its not that.
Don't say "sand"... last I checked Pennsylvania is not full of sand. Yes, I know its a "vacation race" and winning is not everything. (in this state it is nothing). And Yes, I know its a bucket list race... BUT really? There are that many people with $$$$ falling out of the buttholes????
This is the product of all the damn open practices we have. No one wants to race, and those that do, get waxed when they go to big events.

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for breaking it down like that.

hopefully my brother and I could race there sometime in the near future but its expensive....plus my brother could possibly win a title, i probably couldnt lol....

There's not a single chance I could win a title. But you can dream. I'd be lucky to make mains in 25+ by barely squeaking in through the consi.

Multi Million dollar event once you add in all the camping fees, admission for all the non riders, pit vehicle pass, etc. etc. I bet a week at the mini O's is probably just as much as a week at Loretta's.

Back