Garage Construction question

flyin polack

PR Addict
For any of you contractors out there, I am finishing my garage myself and was going to put a folding ladder in to the attic portion of the trusses. The trusses are designed for storage but was wondering about the code for this construction. I live in Stark County... :-(

Only thing I can think of is they will probably say something b/c the drywall is a fire block. I would think it would need drywall on it somehow. Best bet is to call Don some morning and ask him.

Get it inspected when the drywall is finished, once your passed put in the steps. It's your house do it the way you want.

IMG_0609.PNG
Or just get something like this if it's a concern

The garage is detached so the codes aren't the same as attached I guess. I worried a lot for nothing.

I called and he had left... so I figred I'd wait until he got there.

I stopped at the truss manufacturer and he said "in no way should you cut a truss!!!" I was going to put a 30" ladder in (cutting 1 truss and framing a 30") hole but glad I checked.

For now I just left a 22-1/2 x 60 framed hole with joist hangers in the ceiling. Ron walked by, looked up and didn't say a thing.

He treats me awesome. I ask a ton of questions and he always answers them and understands I only want to do right. He always spends 30-45 minutes BSing about stuff after the inspection. These guys, both he and Ken, scare me to death because I don't want to do things over...but they have been great to work with.

Is it common for the city to enact penalties like that for unpermitted jobs? I'm about to break ground on an outdoor kitchen and don't plan on getting permits. I've researched different codes about distance from house/property line and foundation requirements. Figured that should be good, but maybe not?

Most times they will just tell you to go get the permit if they catch you. Depends what kind of mood they are in that day. If your not pulling a permit, make sure your doing everything to code just in case. They can make you dig up footers to inspect them/etc.

I think it depends on the size. I built a 12x20 shed and needed a permit. They said if it was less than 200 sq ft. I wouldn't have needed one ...10x20. Best to call.

The neighbor calls everyone about everything. Except she can burn leaves and brush everyday its nice out. My wife wants to murder her. Can't open the damn windows.

Otherwise it's nothin but a hundred acres of nursery behind me.

Back