Rules not enforced. Do you know your rules?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So after this past weekend of having what seemed to be 1200 rules officials, well at least "I have read the rule book" official know it all's. I decided to read through them again.
Now I know I have read the rules more then most, just for the fact I have been in and around the sport for more then 40 some years. But when you read them WITHOUT a pre-determined spin, it is even more troubling on how many are breaking or at a minimum, bending the rules to support their own interests.

As a promise to myself and to everyone on here, I am not touching the "C" thing or anything in that nutty advancement "system"

Section 1.1 section A paragraph 10 - Means no beer for anyone. THANK GOD this is not enforced. If so 90% of the vet class riders would be DQ'ed
Paragraph 17 - This is for you 4 to 6 age classes. Must be able to start the bike. I know SEVERAL can not.

Section 1.2 Section C Paagraph 5c. Bike must be equipped with adequate front and rear brakes. Toesmack should have been black flagged. hahaha

Paragraph 10A - Gas tank capacity requirements makes EVERY 50cc bike ineligible.

My personal fav.
Paragraph 15f - nothing but numbers on number plates. Sorry graphics fans, but you are DQ'ed

Section 1.3 Section A Paragraph 10 - you have to have a 2 pound fire extinguisher in your pits... now tell me you knew that...

Section B Paragraph 2 - Less then 4 bikes and your class does not have to run.

Another personal fav.
Section D paragraph 3 - each class is recommended to get two 15 minute motos...

Read Section H - so you know what to do on yellow flags.

Oh, and the 125 class is just that. 122 to 125cc 2-stokes only. No supermini's or any other fart bikes.

Now that is just a few items I picked out just in the first few pages. We should be asking why they are not enforced and or changed.

I almost for a big one. Somewhere in there it talks about "Contingency" and that it is allowed to be given as an award. But I could not find a definition for "Contingency" in the rule book. So then according to the rules, a track can call cash a Contingency award.... Right???? Just saying...thems da rules...

A few years back, DMC enforced Section 1.1 setion A paragraph 10. I wont mention any names, but they were in the pits pounding beers after practice and after the first moto. He was asked to load up and leave the premises and did not race the second motos. Worst part is, he smoked everyone the first moto. But was always one of those vets that would take you out to win a moto, then say sorry man, I ddint mean to do that.

This is only speaking for OMA races but....

I do recall, specifically about the malvern 125 class. "If it looks like a 125, you can race it". That being said, 125-150 have been good to go. Also, when the idea for the class was being kicked around, super minis were also allowed. ...(And have raced with the class since the first time it was reintroduced during the night series)

Last Saturday night race at malvern there was a big fiasco because 2 super minis were flagged off during the 125 moto. Then on lap three of the race, they red flagged it. Everyone was directed back to the gate and they held a full restart that re-included the 2 super mini riders that were flagged off. !

This is only speaking for OMA races but....

I do recall, specifically about the malvern 125 class. "If it looks like a 125, you can race it". That being said, 125-150 have been good to go. Also, when the idea for the class was being kicked around, super minis were also allowed. ...(And have raced with the class since the first time it was reintroduced during the night series)

Last Saturday night race at malvern there was a big fiasco because 2 super minis were flagged off during the 125 moto. Then on lap three of the race, they red flagged it. Everyone was directed back to the gate and they held a full restart that re-included the 2 super mini riders that were flagged off. !
Keep Super Minis out of a Amateur class. They are a youth class with smaller wheels. Easy decision.

Since we are on the topic of rules, there seems to be a lot of people confused on sight laps after track maintenance. This past weekend at CTMX we fielded several complaints from parents wanting sight laps after we watered or fixed a bad corner. Sight laps are only required if an obstacle (jump) has been modified. Changing the conditions or improving the race surface doesn't fall within those guidelines. However many tracks will provide a sight lap between motos as a courtesy if time permits. I had one parent even go as far as saying "they do it in Supercross and Arenacross!". Those are called parade laps...not sight laps.

I was also surprised at the amount of parents that didn't know the rules on assisting riders. Our flaggers were instructed to not assist riders unless they were trapped under the bike and even then they were only allowed to do so if they could assist in a safe manner. This was also brought up in the riders meeting, but when you have over 850 entries and there is less than 200 people attending the meeting its not hard to see why they didn't get the message.

I guess in their defense I would use an example from last years Battle race at CTMX. they watered the track right before 40 plus left the gate. No site lap. Leave the gate, get to the top of the hill and the top two doubles were muddy and slick. Guys get up there, some start slamming on the brakes, some are jumping, some are taking evasive action etc. Was not good.

I know Steve Williams would love to not have had that jump section as wet as it was. He ended up in the hospital and out for a little while with an injury. After he moto, I know I questioned what they were thinking slicking up the faces and landings on fairly high speed double double section.

I guess in their defense I would use an example from last years Battle race at CTMX. they watered the track right before 40 plus left the gate. No site lap. Leave the gate, get to the top of the hill and the top two doubles were muddy and slick. Guys get up there, some start slamming on the brakes, some are jumping, some are taking evasive action etc. Was not good.

I know Steve Williams would love to not have had that jump section as wet as it was. He ended up in the hospital and out for a little while with an injury. After he moto, I know I questioned what they were thinking slicking up the faces and landings on fairly high speed double double section.

To say it was watered is putting it very mildly. I was in that moto as well, it flat out sucked.

Keep Super Minis out of a Amateur class. They are a youth class with smaller wheels. Easy decision.
Quit being a pussy.

100cc-150cc. Don't cry when the super mini rider whips everyone's ass he earned it. God you get a class where you can fill the gate with options and then you bitch that they're in the class. Wtf.

Some kids that age are too tall for a small wheel 85. So they just race super and want a second class to race.

And if a local races goal is to fill gates. Then why is it such a big deal if some talented supermini riders are racing against 125s? s**t I race my 144 against 450s in the vet classes. What's wrong with that ?!

Then lets seriously fill the gates, and cut a ton of classes. Now your talking my language!! I really could care less, but in all other sanctions, anything with smaller wheels are usually not in a amateur class.

IMG_2002.JPG
Speaking of getting too tall for all wheel 85. My son is 13 and over the winter he grew like a weed!

Not that it really matters, but I think on some tracks a supermini is actually an advantage. At Chicken Licks is may not matter.....At a big race like a national arenacross it could.

Last edited:
Speaking of rules. I have to admit I was complaining about something at the PVR Regional, and I need to admit I was wrong.

I was complaining about them allowing people to sweep the cement IN FRONT of the starting gate. I went back and read the rules and turns out you are allowed to do that.

6. No tools may be used to groom a rider's starting area, only hands and feet may be used. Only dirt from within the starting area may be used, no liquid may be added to the rider's starting area. Grooming in front of the gate is prohibited except when cement extends beyond the front of the gate, in which case, a broom may be used on the cement portion in front of the gate.

Speaking of rules. I have to admit I was complaining about something at the PVR Regional, and I need to admit I was wrong.

I was complaining about them allowing people to sweep the cement IN FRONT of the starting gate. I went back and read the rules and turns out you are allowed to do that.

6. No tools may be used to groom a rider's starting area, only hands and feet may be used. Only dirt from within the starting area may be used, no liquid may be added to the rider's starting area. Grooming in front of the gate is prohibited except when cement extends beyond the front of the gate, in which case, a broom may be used on the cement portion in front of the gate.

I found that out last year the same way at the Red Bud regional for Austin. I put up a stink and the AMA official was called over. So at the NCMP regional I was doing it and another parent brought the official over, he sided with me but said I wasnt allowed to stand on the cement on the other side I was cleaning.

Try the supermini. The wheels make a big difference. And high rise bars....

Superminis do have an advantage. They turn better and weight to power ratio favors the 105 to a stock 125. And now that the rule is 112cc it's even better.

I was real skinny and tall at that age. A 125 was a little too much for me. But the super was perfect. 85 too small. Knocking knees off the bars all the time. Pulled many a holeshots on my 105 at oir in the schoolboy class.

Back