Rules not enforced. Do you know your rules?

So I would probably be better off to get a 125 for him instead of turning the 85 into a super mini.
I was too the point where sinking money into a supermini seemed like a waste. Honestly, I would go 125. As soon as Matthew got used to it, he was just so much more comfortable on the bike, and you could see he was much more comfortable on the bigger jumps for sure.

How tall is your son an weight?

If I could do it over again, I would have never wasted the money on a super mini for Jonathan. He was to big for it before I even built it but that was my ignorance to the sport, at that time. When Jonathan went to the 125 he loved it because he wasn't so cramped and the suspension soaked up everything so much better, also he was way heavier than 125 lbs. Anyway, I could see an improvement in his riding almost immediately. However, every kid is different.

That's what I was going over in my head! Should I spend the money to covert to super mini or just go to 125 for next year. By that time I'm sure he will have grown more.

Try a kx100. Reliable.

It's whatever really. Whatever he's comfortable on. I'm bias to the supermini because that class was my favorite class growing up. I loved the bike. And the gates were full. People used to race sr and super on a sr. so it was always a stacked class. Not sure anymore. Times have changed. But if I could rewind time it would be to the days of getting disqualified at oir and battling my brains out with the late nick prendes. And going to bar to bar with 125s. Supermini is a fantastic bridge to big bikes. However I have no idea what it cost to maintain them but I never saw my dad on the week days growing up. He was always cranking out overtime. So it had to be expensive. Sorry dad. But thanks dad.....lol. My last two superminis were very clean used bikes. The Yamaha was Matt Goerkes that he raced at lorettas 3 motos. And the Kawasaki was built by Dane leimbach for his son Paul. Low hours. So it is possible to find nice clean used. They don't hold their value. I remember my dad negotiating 2700 cash for leimbachs Kawasaki and that thing had all kinds of awesome factory kawsaki goodies. Not sure what he spent on the Yamaha but I remember going through clutches. He'd buy em in bulk. Yikes.

So....either way it's all about spending time with dad and having fun. Keep doin that on whatever machine you decide on.

We just made the jump to 85 from 65 for my boy that just turned 10 for all of these reasons. All his friends are still on 65s, but he is just too tall. After 10 minutes on the bike here at home, he said he feels so much more comfortable. After practice Saturday, he could not believe how much fun the track is now that he has the 85. I figure if he keeps growing how he is, we will have the same debate in a couple years.

That's what I was going over in my head! Should I spend the money to covert to super mini or just go to 125 for next year. By that time I'm sure he will have grown more.
I had those same debates in my head. John and I actually spoke to each other about Jonathan, and he is one of the people that convinced me to not waste my money on a super mini. One of best decisions I ever made.

I have some thinking to do because we got the suspension dialed in and he was happy with the set up. We will run it the rest of this year and see how he grows. I already had to get heavier springs for the suspension which haven't been put on yet. So I will have to price a big wheel kit and a 105 kit and see what he thinks he would feel more comfortable on.

That's what happened. Matthew grew even more. I looked at the cost, and it just did not make sense. And the resale market is not attractive in my opinion.

I think by the end of summer I will be selling an 85. Reading the posts of people who have done the super mini and talking to my son just now I think he will manage and get used to a 125. Thanks for all the insight on this I really appreciate it.

Back